Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Impatiens walleriana to go extinct?

Posted by fieldofflowers 4a, MN (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 17:50

Just wondering with all the downy mildew diseases and how widespread it is becoming. Last time I looked at a map of the US and the disease, I counted only about 9 states that didn't have it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Impatiens walleriana to go extinct?

No, they won't go "extinct". It is much too important of a crop in the horticultural world. Professional plant breeders are working around the clock to develop resistant varieties, and chemical companies are spending millions to find something that will work against it.

o

One of the funnier gardenweb posts. If you ever traveled "south of the border" you would realize that in Central and Souih America it is commoner than daisies!

o

One of the funnier gardenweb posts. If you ever traveled "south of the border" you would realize that in Central and Souih America it is commoner than daisies!

o

Not sure why you find this "funny"? Impatiens used to be "commoner than daisies" in North America and Europe until downy mildew.

o

I have planted impatiens seed again this year as I do each year. Haven't had any problem with the downy mildew.
Am wondering if downy mildew is brought in with purchased plants and seeding your own is the way to go.
This year I have been tempted to look for some Fusion series plants but am afraid that would maybe bring the problem in.
Burpee has the Peach Frost Fusion I think.
Does anyone know the latest on the downy mildew for this year. Haven't heard anything. Maybe they are getting it under control?

o

Trailer gal, there are still no controls for downy mildew. The spores are spread by air and water splash, not on the seed. Seeding your own is no guarantee of remaining virus free. Fusion Impatiens ARE susceptible. Lots of info in the attached link

Here is a link that might be useful: Downy Mildew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here