Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamakane

tall impatiens

mamakane
18 years ago

While on vacation this past month I saw the tallest impatiens! At least 4 foot. The leaves and mounding growth looked just like my shorter local nursery stock. Definitely not impatiens glandulifera. Any ideas what they might have been? Well fertilized? or a special tall variety?

Comments (9)

• MrImpatiens
    18 years ago

Hmmm
    There is a big one I call Giant Walleriana I have also seen it under the name Pacific Coast Rose. It has deep magenta flowers and can get up to 4 ft. Looks just like a large bedding type. All the companies I have talked to have no idea where it came from.
    If the flowers were a pale lavender or pink it could have been Impatiens sodenii. This one could easily get to 4 ft. The leaves are longer then the bedding type though. In the wild it grows to 10 ft.

• nberg7
    18 years ago

I can't imagine 10 feet! I'm still amazed that mine get thigh high this time of the year. TEN FEET! Wow.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    18 years ago

It also might have been a plant tower holding a few plants. With impatiens, it's hard to tell where one plant ends and another begins, except for the color.

• mamakane
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No towers, all plants - I checked :) What a sight, the dogs and I poking around in the plants in front of the office complex. Just wish I could have found a plant label stuck in the soil somewhere.

• hamons
    18 years ago

My imaptiens often gro 4' = in my yard. This year they were 4'5" -- and with no frost yet -- they are still tall and gorgeous.

Here are the keys:

Plant close together. -- they have to support each other when they get that tall! I plant one flat for every 6 ft2

LOTS of fertilizer -- use a good slow release - low salt ferilizer at planting time and then miracle gro - every other week.

Plant with water absorbing crystals in the soil.

Plant in FUL sun.

Water daily

--
    I am professioanl landscaper and I planted over 300 flats of imaptiens last year. This recipe will work every time

• flwrlvrmnzone4
    18 years ago

The only 4 ft tall impatiens I know of is called impatiens capensis or impatiens pallida. The capensis has a red flower and the pallida is a yellow flower. I do believe they are both native to the US.

• lindak45
    18 years ago

Can i plant impatiens in FULL Sun???? I guess if I water daily? I love impatiens and have always had excellent luck with them.

• jane__ny
    18 years ago

I've been growing Impatients for over 25 years and the tallest variety I've grown are the Blitz hybrids. They are hard to get now although I think Parks still carries the seed. They can reach 6 ft and get very wide. They are like bushes. Great in front of fences. I loved them, but they are hard to find now. Was told by a few nurseries that people want the shorter, double variety, so the taller ones are not profitable.
    Jane

• HU-893819135
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

[i]Impatiens sodenii[/i]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ZaPDicP.png[/img]

Hummingbirds love it.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm