Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floridanut

Time to plant

Floridanut
19 years ago

I notice the local chain garden stores are starting to stock impatiens again here in our area. Is it too early (and hot) to plant them now? Normal day time highs are in the mid 80's, with lows in the upper 60's and low 70's. I planted them too late this past season, and they died out with the heat before they really matured.

Comments (2)

• raul_in_mexico
    19 years ago

The problem with Impatiens in hot places is that they drink tons of water, I plant mine in full sun and here it can get as hot and muggy as in Fla., they need twice a day watering ( early in the morning and at mid day ). They should benefit from the "cooler" ( in figurative sense )winter temperatures and it´s preciselly at this time of the year when they begin looking much better than during the spring and summer. They bloom more with bigger blooms.

• MrImpatiens
    19 years ago

I hear in Flordia that it now the best time to plant them. Here in the California Sacramento valley we grow them from early spring to fall sometimes they will survive. Our temps can reach in the 100s but very dry and they do great. I guess they dont like humid heat. You could try niamniamensis it takes my heat really well it might do ok for you as well. Maybe even Impatiens grandis which is very rare. It flowers around Xmas time, big plant wiht big flowers.

Sponsored