Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allison_proctor

impatiens tinctoria

Allison Proctor
16 years ago

Hello all! I have Impatiens tinctoria for the second try. The first year it wasn't hardy for me! This type is supposed to form tubers right? Can it be propagated by tubers like a potato or a dahlia? Also it is almost the season to "put this plant away" for the winter, but it doesn't have any tubers yet. Will it still be able to live. I just want to know if it possible, depending on my skill to not kill it. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• kenandbea
    16 years ago

Hi lalameija

Lucky you. Did it have a lovely fragrance when it was in bloom?
    Why don't you take cuttings to grow over the winter and next spring have many more to admire:) Better chance of not loosing it that way. With all of my plants I try and over winter them the first year indoors or the greenhouse just because I don't feel that they are large enough or have a root base large enough to make it the first winter (even tubers). I collect small new plants or cuttings all spring and summer so that may be why come fall I really don't have a large enough plant to take the rigors of frosty weather. I am zone 8b or 9a. I have also put a lot of things in the garage if the tops go dormant and don't need light. The following year (2nd year) out they go and there they stay there after.

How old or large is your plant? What size of pot is it in or is it in the ground?

I am thinking that if it doesn't have tubers yet, then it won't make the winter as it needs those to resprout next spring.

Anyone else out there to add to this.

Oh Derick where are you:)

Bea

• Allison Proctor
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! This plant didn't bloom for me this year! IT is in about a one and a half gallon pot. My green house got delivered today(YAY!!!!!!!!) So I will be overwintering it in there. I did take some cuttings, but none rooted. Pretty suprising for an impatiens but I hear that is typically the way with tinctoria. Thanks for responding!

• kenandbea
    16 years ago

Oh lucky you! A new greenhouse, that is just the ticket.
    I hope you have a lot of fun with it and i am certain you will. I got one last year and really like it too.

Happy growing

Bea

• calla_lady
    16 years ago

Hello Lalameija,
    welcome to the Garden Web, great place! Yes, Impatiens tinctoria is a tuber - one that can get mighty big! I had one plant split open a 5 gallon nursery container - no problem ! When I removed it from the container the tuber was the size of a soccer ball!

This one has been hardy for me, however planting time is important as it should have some time to become established before the frost. Mine gets frosted back to the ground every year then regrows in the spring. Also important is that there is excellent drainage - I planted mine in a raised bed so that I new it would not be sitting in super wet ground over a wet winter. Lastly - gopher protection should be considered if you live in an area with gophers. I lost a couple of plants to the little monsters. I thought maybe not as they don't seem to bug my other Impatiens however I have found the tell-tale flopped over root-less foliage that usually points gopher damage (a huge problem in our area).

I think that I might be tempted to grow your plant on in a container through this winter and plant it out next spring. Kept mine in an unheated hoop house for many years before getting brave enough to plant it out (yes that was the Amazing hulk plant). It would get a good 5' -6' tall and bloomed often (yes it is fragrant). The flowers are about the size of the palm of my hand.

Initially I was told that this one did not grow from cuttings however I found that some of the limbs that had fallen and made contact with a damp debris area on the floor had rooted. All of those did grow on for me. I have not tried to root any more since then so I don't know if it was just the right set of circumstances or they do root easily. I'll have to try some next year.

Hope this helps :~)

• calla_lady
    16 years ago

That should be "I knew" not "I new" lol,,,definitely pays to check for errors before posting :~) Alicia

• Allison Proctor
    Original Author
    16 years ago

THanks so much!!!!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations