Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Floating impatiens island in pond

Posted by Oscarmatic CA z10/23 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 0:39

Hello! I'm new to GardenWeb, and working on a big pond rehabilitation project (posting mostly over at the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum). I wanted to share with the Impatiens Forum a small success in the pond: a floating island of impatiens.

This pond is at my parents' house, and earlier this month it was coming up on the step-mother's birthday. "Will the pond have flowers?" she asked. The water hyacinth are months from blooming, and with a birthday near there was nothing for it but to find some flowers. I wanted to do something quick and easy, but creative and useful. I love impatiens and find them pleasant and reliable. I picked up a few six-packs of Impatiens walleriana from the local hardware store, along with two six-packs of alyssum, Lobularia maritima.

The flowers are supported in an old filter mat I cut holes in. I used a piece of 3/4" pipe to guide each rinsed root ball through the scratchy filter material without getting torn up; I pushed the pipe up through a hole in the mat, stuffed the root ball in the pipe, and pulled the pipe back out the way it came. The filter mat is sitting on a 1/4" mesh screen supported by foam. The flowers' bare roots are hanging in the water, mostly smushed between the filter mat and the mesh screen. I filled in with 3/4" gravel and floated the island on the top pool of the pond, in half-shade.

A week-and-a-half on, the impatiens are looking lovely. There are new flower buds growing and opening, and a few roots reaching down through the screen into the pond. (The alyssum are not looking as happy as the impatiens.)

I saw in the archives a few posts from people successfully growing impatiens in ponds, and wanted to add this success story to the library. Below is a photo from the freshly placed island, and I'll post below that another photo from today. I will keep you posted how the impatiens do in the coming months.

Here is a link that might be useful: More details about the whole pond and the project

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Updated photo

And here is a photo of the impatiens after a week-and-a-half in the water. Buds have opened, and new blooms are developing.

o
RE: Floating impatiens island in pond

Hi
Used to do that every winter. Spectacular but declined when warm weather returned There is a hybrid called "Sunpatients" that is far more heat tolerant. Everybody raves about them but I have not tried them Went with lobelia, verbena this year My sole waterlily eats up every square inch so limited to winter for "floating gardens"
Putting in some Asian lotus right now so that will probably be the end of the floaters gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here