Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2nd rescue attempt

Posted by noinwi z3 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 27, 05 at 16:13

Ok, earlier this year, I brought back an impatien from the brink that I'd gotten from a neighbor(my first impatien). A few neighbors in the building asked me to put it in our community room for the winter instead of keeping it in my apartment, and I agreed as long as they would take care of it, as I don't spend much time in the community room. Well, I wandered in there earlier and found the plant with one puny bloom, wet soil, rubbery stems hanging over the pot sides, and loaded with spider mites. Needless to say I confiscated it. I put it in my bathtub, sprayed it with Safer's soap(it's all I have), and flushed the soil with H2O2 laced water. Was this ok? Is there anything else I can do? Thanks in advance for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2nd rescue attempt

You just have to sit back and wait now. Im a little concerned with the wet soil and rubbery stems. If it perked back up that is a good sign. If it didnt it may have gotten rot and its a goner. If you still have some stems with leave on them that are fairly healthy, you could make cuttings and save it that way.

o

Thanks, MrImpatiens,
Not all of the stems are limp, but there has been a lot of leaf drop. I placed it near a window with supplemental light from a compact flourescent bulb. I'll just be patient and hope it bounces back.

o

My plant didn't make it. It shriveled stem by stem. Thank you for your help, though.

o

At least you tried that is the important thing. The good thing about Impatiens is, they are easy to replace. At least the common ones that is. Just be glad you dont have one like I do that is the only one in the US and is extinct in the wild. This one is called Impatiens clavicalcar and looks like a large yellow I. niamniamensis or Congo Cockatoo.

o

I'd crack under pressure like that. I applaud you. Is there any program in the works to try to re-introduce the rare ones back into the wild? It's sad when plants are over harvested from the wild. I remember growing up in the PNW all the native rhododendrons that could be seen along the roads. Now they are extremely rare. Good luck with your Impatiens. It sounds beautiful.

o

Impatiens clavicalcar was over harvested but flat out destroyed. The area it came from was turned into farm land. But it may still be around in a near by area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here