Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
l3en007_gw

Impatien Beginner Here

l3en007
16 years ago

Hello everyone...hope all had a great thanks giving. Anyways, id like to thank you for your time in reading this. I am planning on growing impatiens this winter. Im currently putting up a 18 x 24 greenhouse . Now I understand i am in growing zone 7. I have a few questions regarding growing impatiens. When exactly should i start them if i need to start planting them in May(i work with my family landscape business)? Also, what temperature should I keep my green house at through out the winter? Any other tips for my green house? I would really appreciate any help ..O yea and i plan on buying my seeds through Burpee.

thanks!

l3en007

Comment (1)

• tom8olvr
    16 years ago

13en007-

I've never grown imps in a greenhouse - but successfully started them in my house for many years now. I grow them under lights, I don't cover the seed and start them approximately 12 weeks before I want to plant them (I do cuttings if they get too big), and I literally start several hundred (1,500 this year) - and I use domes to keep them moist. But found this:

GREENHOUSE: Sow in seedling mix from Jan. 25th - Mar. 15th. Although light aids germination, you should cover seed lightly with coarse vermiculite unless frequent misting can be done daily. A pH of more than 7.5 or less than 5.9 will prevent germination. To conserve moisture and heat, cover seed flats with clear glass or plastic, 8 in/20 cm above the seed. Soil temp. must be maintained @ 72- 74°F /22 - 24°C at all times. Seed germinates irregularly and slowly @ 60% - 80% in 20 days. Intense direct or artificial light, which is high in the "red" part of the spectrum of light - will limit germination of some colors. We suggest that you start Impatiens on the north side of the greenhouse or shade, flats lightly with blue plastic or cheese cloth. After and during germination, remove plastic or glass, during the heat of the day. Keep medium moist to the touch, but not saturated. Shade seedlings at all times. Never check the plant growth. Using soil that has a neutral pH reading, transplant seedlings at the same depth as they were in the seedling flat - this reduces stem rot at the base of the plant. Grow plants at 60°F/16°C, keep them on the dry side and do not fertilize. Keep transplants well ventilated, and out of cold drafts - which weaken the plants. Allow the plants to cycle through wet/dry periods. Excessive moisture will result in tall, lush growth. Treat with Captan every 10 days to control damping off.

I would suggest ordering from a supplier where you can chose your colors and varieties - there are many colors and varieties that Burpee does not offer. This year I'm ordering from:

http://www.hazzardsgreenhouse.com

But have ordered VERY happily from Stokes (link attached) in the past. I like their ENVOY. Mine grew over 24" tall - and were awesome. I have pictures if you are interested.

Good luck!

Tom-

Here is a link that might be useful: Stokes

Sponsored