Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

Bedding impatiens

kimcoco
13 years ago

I've tried buying impatiens in "onesies" in my planter boxes, but they looked pathetic and never really grew.

I was reading about "bedding" impatiens - I usually see these in planting beds, around bases of trees on a standard, etc. And, I'm wondering how you choose these at the nursery - do you just purchase them in hanging baskets and transfer them to the ground to get them to spread like one continuous bed of impatiens, or what?

Comments (5)

• goblugal
    13 years ago

Standard bedding impatiens (Impatiens wallerana) are generally sold in packs/flats in the Spring, and are mass planted in the ground. Most have a 10"-12" spread, so planting on 12" centers is more than adequate.

• tom8olvr
    13 years ago

I have no idea what a 'onesie' is... unless your talking about the little outfits they put on babies.

I've been 'bedding' impatiens for a few years now. I start them from seed which most people won't do, but it gives me a chance to pick the variety I want (and color). I generally stick to the large flowered ones - Infinity, Encore, Blitz, etc - they are larger flowered and have a larger habit. I don't think they have as many blooms as the other, but it fits my needs perfectly.

I plant them about a hand-tool apart - 10-12". And they grow together and become a hedge in no time. I'm in a fairly shady spot in Z5 but if there's any that get a good amount of sun I just give them extra water. I'm embarassed to say I didn't load any pictures from last year, but I did the year before. Here they are:

This is what they look like when I put them in:

Another pic of them first put in:

Filling in:
    {{gwi:20341}}

This is about at their peak:

{{gwi:710}}

Another year (first put in):
    {{gwi:430493}}

Few weeks later:

Filling in:

{{gwi:17381}}

They add a lot of color to my shady lot.

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, I do recall seeing these photos, or photos of your impatiens before. Beautiful. By onesies, I was referring to the individual plants that the nurseries sell in flats. I had tried those in my planter boxes, but they didn't do much from there.

Thanks for the pics, Tom. I'm looking forward to planting some this year.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

After seeing the pictures above I can't wait to put the one's I bought today in the ground and also in a large pot for the porch!

This time I bought solid reds and solid whites, they'll look a bit patriotic! lol.

Love them, but I'm "impatient" at how slow growing they are! But the payoff is worth it.

BTW, I've never fertilized mine before, should I do this? I only fertilize my Roses.

My plants are in mostly shade.

• mehearty
    12 years ago

Those pics are gorgeous.

I'm just reading about impatiens because I'm wanting to plant some en masse this year. I appreciate the pics of the proper spacing.

As far as the ones that didn't do well in the window boxes, how was the soil? I've planted impatiens in crappy parts of my beds and in pots with miracle grow potting soil. The ones in the pots with MG went gangbusters. I'm going to experiement a little this year with planting them in my better beds to see if that soils pleases them.

So the short answer to the question above is yes, they appear to love fertilizer.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists