Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Types of impatiens

Posted by melrose 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 15, 08 at 22:42

I'm been looking at impatien seeds and I'm confused at what is the best to buy: Accent, Tempo, Blitz, Super Elfin, Super Elfin XP?? What's the difference between all these or is it best to just look for what you like? Is there benefits from one to another? Any experts who can help out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Types of impatiens

What you have listed are all series of I. wallerana. With the exception of Blitz (and it should be Blitz 3000)the differences between most of these are fairly subtle for the average consumer. These series are produced by different breeding companies (Goldsmith, Bodger, Syngenta, Pan American), and the seed is distributed through wholesalers and retailers. A red impatien is a red impatien, but these breeders all want you to buy THEIR genetics (market share - think Coke/Pepsi), so they breed for specific traits to try to make theirs "better" than the competition. They may be breeding for compactness, or earliess or better branching, or even something that doesn't translate to how it will actually perform in your garden - it may be a characteristic that makes it look better on the retailers bench. Again, for the most part, these characteristics are pretty transparent for the average consumer. Some series will perform slightly better in southern heat (note I said SLIGHTLY). The Blitz 3000 series was selected for a more vigorous habit and larger flowers - they do well in hanging baskets. Some of the Tempos can also be vigorous. The others that you mention are all pretty comparable, and do well in general landscape plantings. With that all said...look for what you like.

o
RE: Types of impatiens

Thanks - this helps because I'm looking at seeds and various colors and I wasn't sure what would be the best and if I wanted to intermix varieties-- you've answered my question very thoroughly - Thank you

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here