Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maude_ia

WANTED: Spring Swap 2007

Maude_IA
17 years ago

Although it's still early in the season, mark your calendar for June 2, the Saturday after Memorial Day, for the annual spring swap in eastern Iowa (although we welcome swappers from everywhere.)

The swap will be held in Washington Iowa this year, in Maude's yard, so when the date gets closer, I'll post directions in a separate post.

As always, when you know what you're looking for, and what you have to trade, post it here.

New swapper? Email me to find out how the swap works, and how to prepare.

I'm looking forward to seeing old friends and making some new ones!

Comments (40)

• iowgardenangel
    17 years ago

ok ill strt. i can bring dogwood strts yellow twig and reds, maybe some varigated. 1 yellow lilac not spoken for.some other lilacs, peonies,few cannas, some clematis, oh ill have more just gotta look also, have some inside- diff ernt mother inlawT.'s, and diff philodendron's ,including monsteria,[ very tropical] thats a start. I am looking fuki[ japanese perennial veggie), pinnapple lily bulbs, bee balm, banna plants, diff iris, assorted grasses like jblood, zebra.etc.

• paws4pets
    17 years ago

iowagardenamgel: the dogwood varieties sound good to me. Washington is closer for me, provided I don't have to work. I have hosta's, daylily's, red bee balm and maybe white, red raspberry, bachelor buttons, coneflower, globe thistle, larkspur and some more stuff as it pops up.
    paws

• koszta_kid
    17 years ago

I have to find some of my Babies names.One that looks like a fern and has white blooms? The bloom are 3 feet high. Also bringing bird house gourds. But will make list later.

• iowgardenangel
    17 years ago

red bee balm sounds good , oh kozsta, bird house gourds id love a couple..

• Maude_IA
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mary's List - part 1

TOMATOES - I participated in a round robin this winter, and got some heirloom tomato seeds. They've germinated well, so I will have some tomato seedlings, specifically Cherokee Purple, Great White Beefsteak, and Rose. I may also have a few Lemon Boy seedlings.

GERANIUM - I will also have some rooted, potted geranium cuttings - Vancouver Centennial (chartreuse/maroon leaves and red orange flowers), and an unnamed one with chartreuse leaves and a very pretty double pink & white flower. I also expect to have one or two pelargonium sidodies, a nifty hanging geranium with small, grayish leaves and deep burgundy, tiny flowers.

OTHER STUFF - I have a bee balm - pink, I think, but no promises; pink peonys and white peonys - one is double and one is not, and I think it's the white that's double; naked ladies; pink bleeding heart (not the fern leaf type); my Plantaginea hosta need to be divided, too.

I'm always on the lookout for plants with chartreuse leaves, and things that do well in shade or part shade.

Anyone have a colocasia Black magic offshoot?

• iowgardenangel
    17 years ago

maude, id love a cherokee purple and a white tomatoe, i may have [so far so good] varigated leaf tomatoes, canary vine, painted lady vine.oh rainbow cherry tomatoes.im sure ill have lots more i just need to see whats comin.

• Maude_IA
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Deal, Dessa. You always bring such interesting plants, so I'll choose the trade when I see you.

Mary

• oldpeony
    17 years ago

Anyone bringing any white lilac starts or oriental or asiatic lilies?

• Maude_IA
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mary's List - Part 2

I have a white lilac hedge, and there are a number of little starts. You can choose your own while you're at the swap.

I have also come up with about 5 or 6 redbud trees that need to leave their current locations. If no one takes them, it's chipper time!

I potted up four forsythia starters last weekend, and all are available.

• oldpeony
    17 years ago

Mary: My DH knows how to use a spade for that white lilac start! Apparently my redbud did not make it through the winter or spring freeze and I'll have him save them all if no one else does. I've had a couple of forsythia branches in a bottle of water for some time now and it hasn't started to root. How long should it take?

• uicricket
    17 years ago

I marked my calendar and I'm coming to the spring swap for the first time! Yahoo! My gardens have kind of gone south because I was working 6 days and week and 2 nights so I'm starting with a mess.

I have Asiatic lilies in many colors. If you want a specific color I will try to remember what is planted where. If you don't care about color I have many to share. Lots of lily of the valley. Blackberries and raspberries too.

I have a forsythia that grew too low and rooted thanks to the dog digging and covering it up. I can separate it from the mother plant and pot it up if someone wants it. I honestly don't know what else I'll have.

Cricket

• oldpeony
    17 years ago

Cricket: I'm not picky about colors on asiatic lilies. Everything you have sounds interesting. Hope I have enough to trade to bring home lots of new plants! Ruth

• twin_too
    16 years ago

I should be able to make it. I'm not sure what all I'll bring, but these came to mind: Tall phlox (purple, white), Siberian Iris (Ceasar's Brother), Virginia Bluebells, Hostas (don't know which ones yet), perennial salvia, hardy geranium, Tall Sedum, dwarf iris (mixed colors), Lamium (White Nancy), tall pink balloon flowers.

Maybe some daffodils, tulips, and glads. Maybe some Lavendar and some variegated liriope. I might also be able to bring a climbing hydrangea.

I'm always interested in ornamental grasses and flowering bushes. I wouldn't mind having a redbud too. I would like named hostas, ferns, and other woodland/shade plants. I would like some variegated lemon tyme, coral bells, rockcress, more...

If anyone was interested, I would also bring burgundy ajuga, pachysandra, variegated vinca major, missouri primrose (yellow), tall bell flowers, ribbon grass.

-Pam

• koszta_kid
    16 years ago

My Cp wasn't working right for awhile. dessa I'll bring you some bird house gourds.I've got to get a book on IDing some of my plants. Looking for some other dark colored grasses. Got ribbon grass.

• iowgardenangel
    16 years ago

id like some ribbon grass, i have some drk grasses i think, also some hostas and diff. coral bells.

• twin_too
    16 years ago

I will bring ribbon grass. I would love some different coral bells!

-Pam

• oldpeony
    16 years ago

Pam: I would love some pink balloon flowers and tall bell flowers. I'll post later what I might be bringing.
    Dessa: Missed you at Cedar Rapids DG Roundup. Will you be able to bring my yellow lilac start to Washington? I can bring the two rockcress and two red hot pokers.
    Cricket: I've been wanting a forsythia. And I would give a good home to any blackberries/raspberries you need to get rid of.

• oldpeony
    16 years ago

Pam: I have lots of woodland plants in our timber. Looking for anything in particular? The yellow Great Merrybells are extremely thick and there seems to be a great number of prairie trillium (purple) and wild ginger.
    Ruth

• Maude_IA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ruth, if you have enough purple trillium, I'd love to add one to my shade garden. I have the wild columbine to share, hosta of all sizes and colors, plus all the things listed above.

I also have discovered two young redbud trees growing in a large clump of yarrow (Coronation Gold, I think). I'm gussing that when we dig up the redbuds, the yarrow will be divided, too. Any takers?

I have three double, hot pink peonys potted up, and now have a total of six forsythia starts.

• oldpeony
    16 years ago

Mary: I will bring you a purple prairie trillium (hopefully more than one). I would like to try your bee balm hoping it is pink, but if it turns out red or something I have a place I can put it also. Ruth

• twin_too
    16 years ago

Ruth - I will bring the pink balloon flowers and some white bell flowers. I would love some trillium.

Mary - I would love a redbud and a forsythia. I will update what I'm bringing as I start digging.

-Pam

• oldpeony
    16 years ago

Sounds like trip back to the timber will be in order about June 1 for trillium for Pam and Mary. Ruth

• koszta_kid
    16 years ago

Bringing diiferent daylilys,asian lilies. Woodland phlox if anyone wants some.False sun flower.morning dawn sedum. Many more if I figure who-who.

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Hi, everyone! This swap sounds so great! I wish very much that I could come, but it is a little far away for me, and even if it wasn't, I need to go to a bridal shower for my little sister that day. Plus, as I am just starting in this, I don't have any cuttings or plants to trade - I'm only using seeds at this point. But, watch out for me next year! I hope to have plenty to share by this time next year!! And I'll just tell the hubby and kids, sorry - I'm gone for the day! Have a great time at the swap!!
    Rebecca, near Pella

• koszta_kid
    16 years ago

Will be bring diiferent asian lilies, dayliles. And flower pots soaker hoses. Will be looking at my pictures to figure out some of the colors. Washing up the bird house gourds. Also iris. Would like some the dwarf type.

• koszta_kid
    16 years ago

Sorry Looks like I wouldn't be able to come to the swap. But if anyone is near Koszta west of Marengo. Have many plants

• kerri_m
    16 years ago

Hi All,

I am also planning on coming. I have lots of stuff but I haven't dug yet. I have several hostas, bell flowers, ferns, hardy geranium, husker red penstimon (sp?), a variety of ground sedums, japanese primrose (beautiful), etc.

I would love trees of any sort. And woodland flowers. We are trying to beautify the woods behind our house. We've pulled most of the sticker bushes and sticky weed. We want to fill in with a variety of color and texture but stay pretty native.

My yard is all shade to part shade.

I missed last year but I am really looking forward to coming again this year. See you in a few weeks.

As I type, I am watching a red-headed woodpecker on my feeder - absolutely beautiful.

Kerri

• kerri_m
    16 years ago

OK - I went out and made a list: (I am terrible with spelling)

Ginger Mint
    A variety of mostly unnamed small to medium hosta.
    Pulmonaria - dark green with white polka dots.
    Shasta daisy
    A ferny plant I got at this swap about 4 years ago - I think called poached eggs.
    Obedient plant - purple
    coneflower - yellow
    Lilly grass - very cute - gets little pink blooms
    Artemesia -- tall silver
    Columbine - white on pink - very pretty
    Ajuga - chocolate chip
    Gooseneck loosestrife
    Campanula - gets pink flowers that kind of hang under - like upside down tulips (I think)
    Hardy geranium - blooms majenta
    coreopsis - ferny variety - yellow flowers.
    A couple varieties of lily of the valley - a tall variety - maybe 12 inches, and a variety that blooms pink.

Does anybody have woodland poppies, orange poppies, brunera or japanese blood grass? I am always on the look out for hostas I don't have. I would also like some solomons seal.

Thanks,
    Kerri

• Maude_IA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kerri, I've got all the Solomon's Seal anyone could want, and you're welcome to have some.

Pam and others - As for the red bud trees - I lost count at 15, although they are different sizes. The smaller ones transplant better. Not all of them are in pots yet. Have shovel - Will Dig To Suit.

I'm expecting two or three new people from this area, so this should be extra fun. Sorry Connie Lee can't make it - are you sure??

• iowgardenangel
    16 years ago

i have 1 banna, 1 snow angel coralbells and sev others, 1 red sugar maple leaf hibiscus with red velvet flowers, dog woods peonies , perennials some pond plants etc, im lookin for asst. mints[ i have apple n chocolate, and lime. cone flowers, buterfly weed, catchfly, japenese blood grass ribbon grass.etc.

• kerri_m
    16 years ago

IowaGardenAngel - I would like some dogwood and japanese blood grass.

Paws - I would like some larkspur.

Maude - I would like a red bud.

Ruth - I would like some merrybells and purple trillium if you have some left.

Hopefully I have something you all might want.

Thanks - kerri

• oldpeony
    16 years ago

Maude: I have two purple prarie trillium potted up for you.

Kerry: I have two purple prairie trillium potted up for you and some yellow merrybells. I would love to get some pink lily of the valley.

Pam: I have two purple prairie trillium potted up for you.

Paws: I would like some white beebalm and larkspur.

Iowagardenangel: I would like the Snow Angel coralbell? Were you looking for butterfly weed? Or would you trade for a Marmalade coralbell?

I also have potted up three pots of baby jack-in-the-pulpits (aren't blooming yet) and one huge jack-in-the-pulpit that didn't bloom this year, but maybe will next year.

Anyone have interest in unnamed iris (tall bearded, dwarf bearded, and a purple Louisiana)?
    How about blue sage? or yellow loosestrife?
    I have little coreopsis plants just starting to bloom.
    Also have some threadleaf coreopsis.
    Could bring red beebalm.

Please let me know if you want any of the ones not spoken for. Ruth

• iowgardenangel
    16 years ago

RUTH- yes ive your yellow lilac, and you can have the snowangelcoral bell, yes a marmalade c bell and buterfly weed would be great PAWS dogwood for beebalm would love some globe thstle.Twin2 ribbongrass for diff color bell, have vanilla spice and i think harveys bugandy and maybe 1 more snowangel.KERRI dogwood, would like some gingermint and yellow coneflower? maude, white tomatoe and cherokee purple would you like one of my red mapleleaf hibiscus with red velvet flowers? will have lots more to trade.......

• iris321
    16 years ago

I'm bringing named & unnamed iris & daylilies.,various asters,sedums,Zebra grass,hosta,red Asiatics,probably odds & ends annuals,echinaceas.
    If anyone has any feverfew,I'd like some. Mine all died.Also would love any hollyhocks.
    Let's bring any gardening magazines & books we are through with.
    I think a friend is coming from Tipton & bringing a friend.
    See you all! We need rain so badly,I don't care if I have to wear raincoat & bring umbrella!! Doris AKA Iris

• iowgardenangel
    16 years ago

iris i got your hollyhocks!! ill drop off . sat am onway

• oldpeony
    16 years ago

I'm bring a friend. We are potting up some things for her this afternoon and will see everyone on Saturday. Ruth

• Maude_IA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm happy to hear that! I'm getting party jitters - what if no one comes??

I ended up with lots more plants than I thought I had - someone has to come and take them away.

I've heard that we may have some rooted cuttings of Henry Lauder's Walking Stick. Can't promise, but I think so.

• oldpeony
    16 years ago

I'll be there, just to get a CHANCE at a Henry Lauder's Walking Stick cutting. My DH won't be coming, but I'm still interested in at least two redbuds. My friend might be bringing her husband; so I could get him to do the digging. Can't wait to see what else you have. Ruth

• twin_too
    16 years ago

I'm coming, rain or shine. :-)

I did more digging last night, it seems like it will never end. I thought I might dig up some pineapple mint and some tall sedum if anyone wants some. Otherwise, I might avoid the rain, ha ha.

-Pam

• oldpeony
    16 years ago

Go to Discussions for "After the 2007 Spring Swap in Washington" to discuss or ask questions. Ruth