Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesliel_gw

wanted: time again for the swap! east cntrl ia

LeslieL
19 years ago

Well, It's that time of year again! We'll be having the swap at the Morse General Store outside of Iowa City at 11 am June 4th, that's a Saturday. Email me for directions and with questions. Hope to see everyone there!

Leslie

Comments (50)

• stan_ia_z4
    19 years ago

Hi Leslie. Great you are hosting the swap again. Looking forward to seeing both of you and the rest of the gang. Stan and Corlyss

• koszta_kid
    19 years ago

Leslie will be there with bells on. Got to some major thinning out. Connie-Lee

• LeslieL
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I've had a couple of emails asking how the swap works. So here it is in a nutshell:
    Bring what you have to trade: plants, seeds, bulbs, garden tools, books or crafts. Check out other peoples offerings and propose a swap! It's easy, and we don't stand on formalities. Folks are pretty generous and usually willing to swap for just about anything they don't have, and are often willing to share what they have extras of. It's great fun! So don't be shy, come join us, because we love to meet new people.

• iowgardenangel
    19 years ago

oh new people that would be fun, i have LOTS of goodies to share and my new variety of peonies are all comin up.new varietes of cannas,oh and whoever gave me the angel trumpet [Brug) ITS GREAT!! lived all winter in my bathroom.. boy did neighbors awwh over its blooms, im hooked now gotta get a yellow and a white.LOL im starting my cannas now and all are marked, also starting rose of sharon bushes,and some others . Dessa

• LeslieL
    Original Author
    19 years ago

okay, i'll start! One thing I am looking for this year is bird house gourd starts. Is anyone doing those? I am also looking for flowering shrubs and trees. Jay, if you have anymore of those wonderful redbuds I would love one. I need some shade in the middle of the side yard of the store. Maybe a hard maple too, not a silver! I could probably dig one out of the timber at our other place though. I don't know how many plants I will have to trade as I feel like I am starting over again after moving to the Store a couple of years ago, but I do have gardening books, and some jewelry that I have been making! Oh, and Dessa and Iris I love those cannas! I'll have to find something special for those! Iris you are so hard to shop for though! You just have everything already! ;)

• whitewater176z5a
    19 years ago

Would love to join you this year, not sure what we have to trade yet but have lots of perenials.

• Maude_IA
    19 years ago

I've been looking around to see what I might bring. I may have some odds & ends of annuals from the greenhouse - right now it looks like there will be lots of heliotrophe. I also have started perennial alyssum from seed, and they are doing well.
    I have one little fern peony in a pot, and a scrap of tree peony - both were left over last fall after transplanting.
    I think I will have some white butterfly ginger, but haven't divided it yet.
    I can bring some white lilac starts, and may find a redbud - it seems like there are lots of them every year.
    I will have a few delphinium - started from seed last year and survived the winter - some white and some purple.
    Does anyone want some bloodroot? It was here when we moved in, and is spreading.
    I'm looking for shade plants, as always, but we've also made more sun garden, so I can trade for those, too.

• twin_too
    19 years ago

Hi everyone,

I would love to trade for that little fern peony, I've wanted one forever! Let me know what you want and I'll find it! I'd like to hear what everyone else wants so that I can choose appropriately, it seems to be different every year.

I would say that I'm also looking for flowering, and fragrant bushes. Of course, I'm always looking for hostas and other shade plants too.

-Pam

• iowgardenangel
    19 years ago

well lots comin up. my peonies looking good, ive been out potten herbs, lilac starts come peony starts, iris, and cannas and much more ill post later also will have a wooden girl fishen with can worms. its big,im rearrangin and have some new items,im lookin for roses, vines , as i am fixen up an old corn crib as a gazebo, Dessa

• Maude_IA
    19 years ago

I found two volunteer bleeding heart(s?) while cleaning out a garden. One has buds, the other not. I don't know whether they will be pink or white as we have one of each in that area.
    Any takers?

I also will have some leftover seedlings - some annuals and some perennials.

Anyone interested??

• iowgardenangel
    19 years ago

maude id love a bleeding heart, and who asked about red peony last yr??? Dessa

• iowgardenangel
    19 years ago

im adding some asiatic lilies some hostas and some large dogwood starts, its reddish color type. some hops vine and some honeysucle, some started chocolate morning glory vine. canary vine started. im looking for iris other than purple an yellow,creeping phlox and other to use around rock near my little ponds. my niece is doing a alice in wonderland garden for 4H fair we need lily of valley,red/white min rose white m rose we have red, we also looking for old small decorative yard sale teapots to make a fountain outa teapots. wed trade for plants.

• stan_ia_z4
    18 years ago

Dessa, I have a pot of Blue Flag Iris and some sweet flag Iris if you are interested I will bring them. I am always looking for new hostas. I have 160 different Species. Stan

• LeslieL
    Original Author
    18 years ago

good lord dessa! I have lily of the valley coming out my ears. just bring your shovel. i ordered a set up for a misting box and am hoping to root some roses and clematis for the swap. we'll see how long it takes. i can't make any promises....but it would be fun wouldn't it!

• iowgardenangel
    18 years ago

lol first stan i guess i should ask what hosta DONT you have.....?? yes id love the iris,leslie Id love some lily of valley GOTTa have for alice in wonderland.i covered my peonies keepem lookin good BURRR,several diff varieties this yr.i should have some clematis also.as i have few of same variety,may be some calla lily too.i may find some bargins at work too, they are sendin wayyyy to many plants shrubs etc then we are findin room to put out , that means markdowns , but saveable, my new word LOL.. anything particular anyones lookin for???? Dessa

• iris321
    18 years ago

Well,let me see here. What shall I bring? I could bring a Forsythia, started last spring. Have lots of asters,Purple Dome (short) & tall pink.Could anyone use a perinnial sunflower, Lemon Queen? It needs lots of space. Butterflies love it. Have tall dark leaf cannas.Short dark leaf cannas.For the shade ,variegated Solmon's Seal.Malva,like Zebrina,but not.,golden moneywort.Swinging Linda (hee hee) coleus.Could bring some daylilies,nothing spectacular,but I still grow them.Ditto,iris.I'm sure I will come up with more. Doris AKA Iris

• twin_too
    18 years ago

O.K. Here's what I'm thinking of bringing, so please let me know if anything interests you. I can bring other hostas as I have about 120, but I'd need to see a list so that I don't bring duplicates. Below is my list:

MATURE PLANTS
    Siberian Iris  Snow Queen
    Dwarf Iris  Dark Vader
    Virginia Blue Bells  Mertensia Virginica
    Phlox  Starfire, Amethyst, Prime Minister
    Campanula  ÂElizabethÂ
    Astilbe  unknown color (1)
    Bell Flowers  Campanula Persicifolia (white)
    Balloon Flowers  probably purple, maybe white
    Purple Geranium  large purple, and a trailing purple (neither are JohnsonÂs Blue)
    Ajuga  ÂChocolate ChipÂ
    Feverfew

SEEDLINGS
    **Perennials**
    Helleborus  mixed colors
    Carnation  red and assorted (dwarf 18 inches high)
    Coreopsis  ÂEarly SunriseÂ
    Oriental Poppy  ÂBrilliant (red) and maybe pink
    Delphinium  ÂMagic Fountains Cherry BlossomÂ
    **Annuals**
    Cosmos  ÂDaydream & ÂCandy StripeÂ
    Johnny Jump-ups (reseeds)
    Thunbergia Alata  Black-Eyed Susan Vine (yellow)
    Marigold  ÂMr. Majestic and ÂSnowballÂ

HOSTAS
    Fair Maiden
    Grand Tiara

-Pam

• iowgardenangel
    18 years ago

hi i can use some phlox.any one have any pond plants? i have a few.oh leslie Lowes marked 10.99 bloomin roses to 4.99, i had to grab some ya know.also got few pots pink jenny robin Butterflies like this plant.so ill bring some, Id love some lemon queen sun flowers. cannas have done well so ill bring sev diffrent kinds, Dessa

• stan_ia_z4
    18 years ago

I could use a Butterfly Bush, if anyone has an extra one. Stan

• hummingbirddaisy
    18 years ago

Well, I could have sworn I replied to this a month ago...LoL.

My hubby and I will be there with bells on!!!! Here is a short but "not complete" list of some of the plants I will be bringing:

Hosta Coquette
    Hosta Piecrust
    Hosta Choo Choo Train

Tall purple bearaded Iris
    Tall Garden Phlox (have pink, lavender and white. All are mixed together though)
    Rubarb red stem

Lilac starts
    - old fashion purple
    - white

Orange native Lilies (will anyone want some?)
    Dutchman's Breeches
    Fernleaf Tansy

Seedlings:
    Lavender - True
    Rosemary
    Morning Glory
    - Blue Silk
    - Heavenly Blue
    - Chocolate
    - Mt. Fuji
    - Pearly Gates
    - Grandpa Ott's (heirloom)
    - Flying Saucers
    - mixed MG (surprise!!!)

House plants

Mother In-Laws Tongue
    Rooted Starts Of:
    Vining Plilo
    Arrowhead Plilo

I'm sure I will add more as time goes by. :-)

Here is a wish list:-)

Flowering shrubs
    Pee Gee Hydrangea
    any hydrangea :-)
    perennial trumpet vine
    Ann Magnolia (any red/purple Magnolia hardy to our zone)
    Double fernleaf peony
    Fernleaf peony
    Dianthus (especially any soft pink!!!)

BLUE HOSTA'S!!!!
    Especially 'Abiqua Drinking Gourd'
    'Jack of Diamonds' (would especially like to have this one for my memory garden of my dad. His name was Jack)
    'Big Daddy'
    'Blue Angel'
    'Blue Betty Lou'
    'Blue Blazes'
    'Blue Jay'
    'Blue Mammoth'
    'Blue Wedgwood'
    'Elvis Lives' (for my mom)
    'Fragrant Blue'
    'Love Pat' 'Ryans Big One'
    'Sieboldiana 'Elegans'

Variegated:
    'Brimcup'
    'Fire and Ice'
    'Ghost Spirit'
    'Great Expectations'
    'Gypsy Rose'
    'Kiwi Forest'
    'Montana 'Aureo-Marginata'
    'Olive Bailey Langdon'
    'Pandora's Box'
    'Pizzazz'
    'September Sun'
    'Snow Cap'
    'Snow White'
    'Spilt Milk'
    'Tatoo'
    'Thunderbolt'
    'Ventricosa Aureo-Marginata'
    'White Christmas'

Also interested in perennial ornamental grass

So, LoL, is my wish list long enough....smiles...I can dream, right! :-)

I will also be bringing seeds and some bulbs, rhizomes, etc.

Can't wait! This is going to be my first swap....I am so excited :-)

Blessings, Tina

• koszta_kid
    18 years ago

Boy getting ansy allready. I have to check my pictures of what lilies I have. Little neighbor boy handed me about all my plant markers-had pulled them up. But of my top my need echinops ,Kiss me over garden gate, creeping tyme, daylilies, campanela. creeping sedum.catmint, and many who have slipped my tired mind. But would like big Daddy hosta.

• koszta_kid
    18 years ago

Few other poached egg plan plant, candy land lily, One flower never knew it's name. Pink striped bell flower,shiny dark leaf.orange dahlia .

• LeslieL
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay, here's the short list:
    I have,
    Russian sage
    Columbines, purple and pink
    Black Eyed Susan
    Echinops
    iris variegata aureum
    blue siberian iris
    lamium beedham's white
    hesperis matronalis
    and a Jackmani Clematis
    I am looking for:
    Huecheras other than Palace Purple, Obsidian, or Plum Pudding, clematis, old garden roses, daylilies surprisingly pink, jungle ballet, and palomino, and hydrangeas and lilacs
    can't wait to see everyone!

• iowgardenangel
    18 years ago

leslie, i have some lilacs and clematis., Dessa

• LeslieL
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Connie, I have your echinops and catmint!
    Leslie

• koszta_kid
    18 years ago

Leslie I'm bring catmint. Decided to pitch the echinops so invasive here don't want anyone else fighting it. But dividing number of unnamed and named daylilys. Have to lookat my pictures from last year. Had every thing marked . Little " angel" pulled medal name tags up. But bring asian lilies. Nice size plants. Getting closer.

• Maude_IA
    18 years ago

Leslie,

I emailed - maybe it vanished? I have one Amber Waves heuchera that I can share.

Mary

• stan_ia_z4
    18 years ago

Leslie, I can use all the Russian Sage I can get. Stan

• LeslieL
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mary, I must have forgotten to answer! I would prefer some of your lilacs to the amber waves if you don't mind! And, Stan I will save you some russian sage....
    Leslie

• koszta_kid
    18 years ago

Leslie I'm bringing 35+ year old climbing red rose. Would like any clematis.

• iowgardenangel
    18 years ago

i have some diff varieties of sage's. clemayis and hostas to add to my other goodies, Dessa

• hummingbirddaisy
    18 years ago

Hi all! Getting really excited about the swap!

I have a few more things to add to my list that I am bringing,

liriope
    forsythia cuttings
    white lilac starts
    purple lilac starts
    dwarf korean lilac start (2 small ones)
    blue spiderwort
    and I know I have a few more things
    Would anyone be interested in some blue potatoe plants? They are beautiful as well as deliscious.

to add to my wish list
    flowering dogwood
    flowering almond
    honeysuckle
    variegated Solmon's Seal
    clematis
    lily of the valley
    variegated iris!
    lemon grass
    pond plants (and containers/planters)

twin too
    I would love some of your
    Siberian Iris  Snow Queen
    Dwarf Iris  Dark Vader
    Virginia Blue Bells  Mertensia Virginica
    Phlox  Starfire, Amethyst, Prime Minister
    Purple Geranium  large purple, and a trailing purple (neither are JohnsonÂs Blue)
    Ajuga  ÂChocolate ChipÂ

Hi Leslie
    I would love to trade you some lilacs for your iris variegata aureum
    Jackmani Clematis. Let me know what you think!

Is anyone bringing plant markers?
    Also, is anyone interested in some homemade wooden ones?
    Nothing fancy, but it does the job :-)

Can't wait to see everyone!

• koszta_kid
    18 years ago

Any one have teh tall purple spring blooming phlox That blooming right now? Mine got sprayed 3 years from farmer next door. Never have replaced it

• iowgardenangel
    18 years ago

stan i do have your butterfly bush and i do want your blue flag and sweet flag, i bringing lots more so im sure i can have somthin else youll want. do you have tokudama or close to that name hosta? or sweet home chicago? i have diff named clematis i have sev varities of canna, city of portland ,firebird ,tropicanna ,princess di, crimson beauty ,pink angel , stadt fellbach , china doll ,spritzi are some named cannas, ill be bringing, sensation [white edged purple] and purple lilacs,pink jenny robins a perrenial that attracts butterflys, hosta , some tropical hibiscus.maybe some honeysucle, worm wood , mints, peonies . white n pink, red, drk pink,and white with a red swirl in center maxima i think it is, well thats some, im bringin a truck so i have lots, Dessa

• hummingbirddaisy
    18 years ago

Koszta,
    I have several tall purple garden phlox that I could bring for you!

Tina

• stan_ia_z4
    18 years ago

WOW, Dessa. You have many things I need and would like. C U Saturday. Stan

• iris321
    18 years ago

I can bring a couple of Yucca plants. Have 2 white double Columbine in big pots.Anyone want water lilies ?Anyone need a pot of Ribbon Grass? How about a large August Moon Hosta ? I'm asking cause all are in big pots. Doris

• spivey13
    18 years ago

Wow--this is really exciting. We only live a couple miles from Morse, and I've told a bunch of neighbors about this too. I've got some scabiosa--both caucasica fama and misty butterflies--transplanted into 2" pots. Also, some yarrow--colorado and summer pastels mixed. I still have to clean out some beds--I think I have a bunch of raspberries that have escaped their bed, so I need to round those up. I have some heuchera, too--a Bressingham hybrid, if you're interested. I'm looking for any perennials that can be used for cut flowers. Thanks!
    Cathy

• hummingbirddaisy
    18 years ago

Hi Dawn,

If the hosta and ribbon grass aren't spoken for, I'd love to have them!!!
    Also, I would love to take a few water lilies off of your hands!

Is it the 4th yet!!!!!

Tina

• hummingbirddaisy
    18 years ago

My sincerest apologies Doris. I have no idea where I got Dawn from.

Hi Cathy! I would love to have a few of your raspberries, and a heuchera.
    Hopefully I'll have something of interest to you all for all of these lovely plants!!!

Thanks!
    Tina :-)

• iowgardenangel
    18 years ago

spivey, hi id be interested in scabiosa and heuchera?? do i have anything you want??? Dessa

• spivey13
    18 years ago

Do you still have some peonies, Dessa? Those are great cutting flowers, but they take so long!! And Tina, I'll make sure I bring the raspberries. The heuchera are small, transplanted back in April, and it seems like they haven't done a lot of growing since. Maybe this week's warm weather will help. Thanks, Cathy

• iowgardenangel
    18 years ago

Yep i got peonies!! no problem, Dessa

• LeslieL
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Connie Lee, If you are talking about the Phlox like stuff that is blooming in the roadside ditches right now, it's hesperis matronalis, and boy do I have it! It's a biennial and blooms wherever it goes to seed in two years. I personally love the stuff myself, but it can get everywhere. I'd be happy to dig you some baby plants if you like, my seedlings range from whit to purple and evey shade in between, no telling what you'll get....
    Leslie

• koszta_kid
    18 years ago

Leslie. That sounds great. Right I have too much green and no blooms. Going to water the pots right now. Says going to rain sat. Not made out of sugar wouldn't melt. But need rain bad here.

• stan_ia_z4
    18 years ago

Connie Lee, I will be bringing Kiss Me Kate for you. Stan

• koszta_kid
    18 years ago

I'm also bringing Morning dawn sedum,white calla lily, Old rose DH says stays here. So bring Don Juan climbing rose.

• iowgardenangel
    18 years ago

oh a white calla, a color i dont have do i have anything youd like???Dessa

• LeslieL
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay! Rain or shine! We have a lot of room inside too, so we'll do it either way. Can't wait to see everyone!
    Leslie

• stan_ia_z4
    18 years ago

Thanks for the rain post Leslie. Eliminates any wondering. See ya. Stan