Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: It's Spring and time for the swap!

Posted by lesliel z5a IA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 23, 06 at 12:55

The same time and place! At the Morse General Store outside of Iowa City, and the Saturday after Memorial Day. I think we'll start at 11 am to give those who are travelling from afar time to get here. Start signing up!
Leslie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: It's Spring and time for the swap!

Directions and more address info please. Looking forward to this. Will be first year.
Paws

o

I know we'll be there, but have no idea yet what we'll bring.

Is anyone looking for something in particular?

Mary & John-who-was-asking-about-the-swap-this-week

o

i know im comin, def. will have peonies, dogwood, hops vine and honeysucle strts. sure there will be more. Dessa

o

I'll be there. Don't need much. But lot needs dividing.Only thing i'm looking is trumpet vine. Don't care if is invasive. Want all the more hummers.

o

hey kosta i have trumpet vine, do you still have poached eggs? Dessa

o

Is it limited to plants? I do concrete stepping stones and other garden items. Also have lots of plants.
Paws

o

oh ive traded for chimes and dish type b baths, a bird house LOL, anything to do with garden and out doors.. Dessa

o

Maude-Mary, last year I got some fox-glove plants from you and they did great. I cannot seem to grow them, as well as the cup and saucer I get from Doris. I am at both your mercies for these plants. Leslie saved me some Russian sage, and I forgot to pick it up. I would like to try that again. Stan

o

Count me and Rick in as well.
Don't know yet what we'll will be bringing.
One of my new loves this year is Daylilies. So, if anyone has any that need dividing, I would be ever so greatful :-)
And as usual, always looking for hostas and vines for the hummingbirds, so Dessa you and I should talk :-).
I'll be able to see what all made it through the winter here in a few weeks. Oh, I'll have Dutchman's Breeches and Ostrich ferns if anyone is interested.

Looking forward to this!
Tina

o

Where is everyone? Out playing in the dirt possibly!!!
I have been digging around. trying to get some bulbs in the ground that I didn't get planted last fall and overwintered in the garage. Lot's of things waking up :-).
Daylilies, columbine, peonies, daff's, tulips, and of course crocus. One hosta is eager to get going.
Looking forward to more posts from everyone!
Happy Spring 2006,
Tina

o

well spring must be here, Lowes has plants an trees etc comin in now.I have stuff strted in windows and in pots all over . and after easter ill strt prob first may , diggin up some dogwood and peony and honeysucle, hops and trumpet vine strts , can always move pots if late frost.anyone looking for rasberry or grape vines? Dessa

o

Hi everyone, my name is Sarah and I am in Iowa City. I am normally on Home Decorating forum, but I found this forum today. I just bought my first house last summer so this is my first spring attempting to garden. The previous h.o. was an awesome gardner and I can't keep up!

Can someone tell me more about the swap? I am not sure what I have to swap (if anything!) so can I come with my checkbook? I would love to participate some how.

Please let me know what I can do!

Thanks!

Sarah
Iowa City

o

Dessa, I could use some grape vines. Do you happen to know what variety they are? Also interested in your honeysucle, hops and trumpet vine starts and dogwood.

If anyone has any sedums, iris, ridged leaved hostas they need to divide, I would be interested.
As of right now, off the top of my head, I will be bringing delphinium blue butterflies, "Antioch" hosta, Agastache Blue Fortune, yarrow (if anyone is intersted?).

Tina

o

Well, I spent some time in the garden, and have a few tentative swap items! I know I will have a therese bugnet rose. I can dig out some japanese kerria, and I have tons of hesperis. I think that's what you wanted last year Connie. I may have some starts of veronica's choice clematis. I'll have to do some more digging!

o

Hey, i'm leslie's friend. I have many items i can bring. I can bring: Jack-in-the-pulpit, Jacob's ladder, "walk on me" (thyme), various sedums, light purple and dark bergundy irises, hardy passion vine, and many others! LOOKING FOR: wisteria, azaleas, rhododendrons, pussy willows, any really cool flower you have!
Thanks,
I'll be there,
Joe

o

Good Day,
I'm going to try to get there,I'm only a few miles away. I'm not sure what I'll bring but I know I have stuff that needs to be split. What kind of day lilies are you looking for? The short ones or the old fashioned tall ones? Does anyone have wild red violets?
Elphinstone

o

Okay, I think I have some wants. I would like some more redbuds, I can't remember who always brings them to me. Mary and Jay? I am also looking for a few named daylilies to add to my collection. I have some George Washington Carver daylilies to trade. I would love any different lilacs besides purple and white. What else, does anyone have any roses?

o

well lotsa newbies awsome, i may have some more cannas and other tropicals.diff clematis. deff., will have alot to bring and joe was it? my dad was a great gardner, ladies on block would come to our house for starts LOL, nice to see guys interested. I may even have some pond plants and grasses to.between my house and work[ Lowes markdowns) LOL Dessa

o

WANTED: Leslie gave me some good ideas. I would like:
Redbud
Lilac (any color)
Buckeyes??
Any Musa Basjoo (hardy banana)??
Forsythias

This is my list i want from my other post:
wisteria
azaleas
rhododendrons
pussy willows any really cool flower you have!

o

Leslie, I'm the redbud source, and have found one volunteer so far, and there will probably be others. These are year old plants - not large, but better for transplanting.

Joe, I would trade for one of your burgundy iris, and can easily pot up a white lilac sprout.

Elphinstone, I have the magneta wild violets - is that the color you want?

Stan, bad news about the foxglove. None. Sorry.

I have done as usual -- planted entire packages of seeds, so I'll have some small annuals. Had spectacular germination with Texas Sage and annual phlox. Both came from Select Seeds, so if you want to see them, follow the link below and search for these numbers -- s535 (Texas Sage 'Coral Nymph') and s416 (phlox Isabellina) and s285 (phlox of sheep). The phlox are not separated by color, but mixed, so I can't be sure what you'll get.

I took cuttings from my geraniums last summer, and have loads of plants, all well rooted. No red ones, but pinks with burgundy/green leaves, and a couple with yellow leaves. One or two small Vancouver Centennial, too. Also took a bunch of Alabama sunset coleus cuttings, and have some of those as extras.

Anyone want ~
surprise lilies?
culinary sage? (two extra plants)
white butterfly ginger or Alpina zerumbet varigata ginger? (search at Stokes Tropicals to see them)
orchid Dendrobium species? - no tag at purchase - sprays of white w/ purple blooms - likes high light, frequent watering and constant humidity like a pebble tray - I grow it in my dining room in an east window - just divided.

Jane B -- are you coming? I will bring hosta for you since we never made contact last August.

Dessa, did you offer Dutchmen's britches? I would like some of those, and I'm looking for a yellow flowered canna.

Can't think of anything else.

Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: Select Seeds

o

Wait Wait - Yes I can!!

I will trade plants - whatever I have that you want - for enormous plastic pots, the size that trees come in.
I also need some more plastic trays for the greenhouse. Mine are getting old and snap & break too easily.

o

If anyone has Hosta's, picky but not the normal ones everyone has I always need more. We have been rescuing a friends yard so hope to have more plants soon (they were just going to rip it out and throw it away and plant grass.
If anyone is interested in Stepping stones and some small yard ornaments(concrete) email me, I can send you a list.
Paws

o

I plan to bring daylilies (will try to find the variety, but they are tall, deep red, very dramatic), stachys, and some llama beans (a nice, non-burning organic fertilizer).

Looking for: everything .

Can't wait!

o

Phlox of Sheep! Yes! Me, me! I love that mix and just didn't find time to start seeds this year. Although my hollhocks seeded themselves and I have OODLES of those. Anyone for mixed hollies? I also have lots of ceaser's brother sib iris. And lots of pink kent bells campanula. I was also wondering if anyone had plain old white hydrangea to share?
Leslie

o

Hey, i was digging around in the woods and i came across LOTS!!!! of Dutchman's Breeches (tons). I also have lots of wild leek, or onion, i don't know. i also found seven wild orchids (showy orchis) i'm willing to bring ONE for trade lol. they're white or purple (i'll bring one with out flowers cuz i want the ones that are flowering, so i don't know if i'll bring a purple one or white)the person i give it to will have to give me something i will really like!!!!
MAUDE, thanks, i'll appreciate the lilac, i love 'em

o

Hi,Anybody want Forsythia ? Leslie,I will try to pot up an old fashioned Hydrangea.
Anyone want some neat coleus? I know Leslie will.
Maude,I'd like Alabama Sunset. Do you have any of the chartreuse coleus?
Anyone have Campanula glommerata ?Anyone need variegated Solomon Seal ? They are taking over! Doris

o

Hey Dorris, i'd like some coleus for my mom, trade for sedum?? ask me which kinds. i'd also like forsythia, email me and tell me what you'd like!!

o

maude_ia - I can bring you Dutchmans Breeches. I would love your Alpina zerumbet varigata ginger and
orchid Dendrobium species. If you find another redbud, I would LOVE to get that as well. Please let me know what else I could entice you with, :-).

lesliel - I woud love some of your caeers brother iris.

So far, this is what I have figured out of what I can bring.

- Ladybells - blue
- Delphinium - blue butterflies
- Hosta - a coule of Antioch, 1 Choo Choo Train, coule of Coquette
- phlox - tall garden pink perennial a couple
- assortment of named coleus starts
- silver maple seedlings
- deep purple lilac starts
- white lilac starts
- assortment of named mints
- dragons blood sedum starts
- autumn joy sedum starts
- golden acres sedum starts
- stella d'oro daylily
- orange daylilies
- dames rocket (possibly, let me know if you'd like any)
- columbine (native, and purple)
- turks cap lily seedlings
- have an assortment of bulbs (crocus, alliums, dutch iris)
- variegated bishops weed ground cover starts
- Silene alba (native)
- Ostrich ferns
- Merrybells a couple
- Mayapples (native)

I'm still going thru the gardens, so I am sure there will be more.
Let me know if you want any of these.

Playing in the dirt,
Tina

o

Hey Tina, i'd like some crocuses if you have enough. What colors? If any one else has CROCUSES, leave a message!!
thnx
Bi Bi

o

Doris ~ I would love a couple of your variegated Solomon Seal!

joefsolon ~ I have blue, white, yellow, purple, and I think some pink left. I will bring you some of each!

I also have Artemisia oriental limelight if anyone is interested. It can get away from you tho', so be sure to put it where you want it and it has room to move, LoL.

Tina

o

Hey, thanks Tina. I got some wisteria spriggs and i have one i'm going to bring. it's about 2 ft tall and it has new growth on it. would anyone like it, whoever tells me first will get it. I also have some ferns, a common wild one and an uncommon wild one. It looks like something you would see in a dinosaur movie! interesting. I also have some cute trilliums.

o

joefsolon sending you mail. I want the wisteria, and would like a red trillium if you have one.
Tina

o

Hi All,
Jay Sandgren wrote and asked me to post for him:

I'll be bringing named daylilies, named iris, and misc. other plants. I'm looking for grasses, hosta's , named daylilies and anything else I dont' have be it flowers, shrubs, trees etc.
Thanks, and look forward to seeing all you guys......Jay

You can email me for his email address if you don't already have it...
Leslie
ps. Tina, I would love some of your Delphiniums for the Ceasar's brother...

o

Guess I beter go check what all i have. But bringing poached eggs,Kissme over garden gate. And will check to see what day lilies,drum stick alliums,Wedding bell campinula. Off the top of my head so far.

o

koszta kid, when you see how many alliums you have, i'd like some, look at what i can to trade in other posts and email me or post me back.

o

Hello,
YES! It is the magenta colored violets I am looking for, sure hope you will bring some. I'm still digging around trying to find things to bring. Does anyone want Lily-of-the-valley? How about forget me nots? I have lots of varigated Bishop's weed also. I have orange trumpet vine,too. I didn't think I had much but I think I have more than I thought. Is anyone looking for herbs? I have lemon balm, taragon,winter savory, oregano, margoram,(don't think I spelled that correctly) and some rue. Also one minture rose that is about 3 years old and has wintered over nicely. I think it is white.
I'll keep looking.
Elphinstone

o

Hey elphinstone, i'd like one of your trumpet vines, what would you like to trade me for something? look at my other posts and tell me what you'd like to trade me.
Thanks,
Bi Bi

o

List of plants to bring to swap (swaps) *=for

- Bring irises *white lilac (Doris)
- Bring ______*forsythia (Dessa)
- Bring Wisteria*crocuses (Tina)
- Bring Dark purple and burgundy irises*white lilac and purple lilac (Tina)
- Bring Jack in the pulpet (Tina)
- Bring Jacobs ladder (Tina)
- Bring Walk on me (Tina)
- Bring Sedums (Tina)
- Bring Passion vine (Tina)
- Bring _______*Trumpet Vine (Elphinstone)
List of undisclosed plants to bring
- Jack-in-the-pulpit
- Jacobs ladder
- Walk on me
- Sedums
- More irises
- passion vine
- Dutchmans Breeches
- ONE orchid
- Wisteria
- Ferns
- Barberry

o

Count me in and my sister!
We have hostas, Iris, lily of the valley, ferns, and much much more!... just a few I can think of...but many more coming.
I also have some gourds I have painted to bring!

o

hi everyone, i want white lilac, i have lavender, purple and sensation lilac which is purple white edged, i have many colors of peonies, dogwood bush strts.apple mint choc mint, lemon mint,clematis vines, imlooking for wisteria,jacobs ladder. I have a few cannas, maude think i do have yellow.i have hops vines , neat covers an arch or fence fast...redn white specked dianthus, hardy kind.yellow water iris, strawberry plants.hey JOE, id like barberry?? oh, i have pincushion plant butterflies love it. sure i have more to list later, Dessa

o

Dessa,I will bring you a white lilac.
Doris

o

List of plants to bring to swap (swaps) *=for
- Bring irises *white lilac (Doris)
- Bring ______*forsythia (Dessa)
- Bring Wisteria*crocuses (Tina)
- Bring Dark purple and burgundy irises*white lilac and purple lilac (Tina)
- Bring Jack in the pulpet (Tina)
- Bring Jacobs ladder (Tina)
- Bring Walk on me (Tina)
- Bring Sedums (Tina)
- Bring Passion vine (Tina)
- Bring _______*Trumpet Vine (Elphinstone)
_ Bring Barberry*_______ (Dessa)
List of undisclosed plants to bring
- Jack-in-the-pulpit ?
- Jacobs ladder ?
- Walk on me ?
- Sedums ?
- passion vine ?
- Dutchmans Breeches 1
- ONE orchid 1
- Ferns 1
- Barberry (Green) 1
The number next to the plant means how many i have left to give away ?= as many as wanted or i don't know

o

Hi Everybody,

I am not sure if I can make it this year and I am so disappointed. I think I have been to every one. I am still going to try to arrange to swap my things through someone else.

I would love any shade plants or blooming trees or shrubs. I have a little bit of room for half day sun and I would love to attract butterflies and humming birds.

Here is what I have so far:
gooseneck loosestrife
lamiastrum
lamium - white nancy
jacob's ladder
pulmanaria
ferns - 4 kinds
trillium
1 asiatic lilly (maybe pink)
ginger mint
japanese primrose
I have 2 kinds of Hostas that someone may want. I don't know their names. 1 is quite small, dark green with rippled edges and the other is also small, lime green and rippled edges. Both are very cute and make nice little borders.
I also have miscellaneous other that I don't know the names!

Also - I got an elk horn fern from someone 2 years ago and I really need to remount it in a new box. Can you tell me how to do that? I was going to bring it but now I may have to settle for online instructions...

Thanks - Kerri

o

Kerri,

I'm the source of your staghorn fern. If it turns out that you can't be at Morse, then email me and I'll tell you what to do to remount it.

Maude

o

joefsolon - I'll take the Barberry (Green) 1 if I have anything else you want in exchange.

I am having trouble with my e-mail. I need to contact Jay in Missouri. I am going to try one more time tonight. If it doesn't go through, woud someone here be so kind as to contact him for me if I just post the message here? I would appreciate it so much.

Is EVERYONE under rainy skies, and forecasted to stay that way for 6 more days?
I do believe that April and May got themselves confused with each other, LoL.

Thanks, Tina

o

Kerri! Iwas just thinking about you and Pam the other day! I hope it turns out you can come! Is Pam coming? I don't think we've heard from her yet. Jay in Missouri would like to get a hold of you, could you send me your email address? And also I would love some of your primroses. I will try to come up with a more comprehensive list sometime this weekend, and maybe you can find something you would like off it.
Leslie

o

kerri, i have pincushion flower and may salvia and others attracts butterflies well....ok tina i have you down for hops, honeysuckle n trumpet vines and dogwood strt.. ill chk grapes jay is down for 1 grape vine.maude i have your yellow canna. kostza, i want som more poached eggs..Please.. I84tea, are gourds used for bird houses??? still loooking for wisteria vine , jacobs ladder,any one have venus(white with green vein coral bell??

o

Good Day,
Well not really, it is still cold and rainy here,I'm beginning to think I'll never get back out to my flower beds!
I will bring trumpet vine, the white rose has been spoken for,but I have many starts of Mountain Bluets if anyone is interested, also found some globe thistle starts. I have potted some keria,too.
I'm thinking about sorting through my collection of gardening books, anyone interested? My shelves are over flowing, I just can't seem to stop buying them, I usually get them at garage sales so will sell them cheap.
I do want the red(magenta) violets, and if anyone has yellow violets, I'd be delighted.
I worked at the Czech and Slovak museum last week, helped plant the gartdens, there were lots of people and many left over plants. I brought home a few of them, guess I should have taken more but didn't want to look like I was taking more than I brought.
Does anyone have a red carpet rose start?
Elphinstone

o

Hey, i've got some jacobs ladder. What i said was a trillium before is actually a hepatica. I don't have any wisteria left.

o

Hi Elphinstone,I 'm interested in gardening books & magazines. I can bring some magazines,too. Need to thin out some & make room for new ones!

o

If anyone has pond plants, oxygenators, water hyacinth, chick or duck weed, lilies, or any hens and chicks, I would be interested in these as well. Also, if anyone is looking to get rid of houseplants, especially succulents, variegates or hoyas, let me know. Oh, and African Violets, would love a pink bloomer.

Went to a plant sale in Waterloo today and had a really good time. It was COLD though, burrrrrrrrrrr.
Come on sunshine!
Tina

o

elphinstone. id like some globe thistle? any one have the pink lilac??doris thanks on white one what can i give you? id like some drumstick all. if you have some extra kostza? i may have some black hollyhocks looks like extras comin .and maybe some hardy hibiscus. Dessa

o

If anyone has drumstick allium, i'd like atleast one. I love them (preferably the giant ones)

o

elphinstone.id like your rue. i may have water iris wtc, humminbird., anyone have milk thistle or rubeckia?? Dessa

o

I'll see how many drum sticks I can keep from rabbits. But also bringing echinops. Have to idea lot of the plants coming up.

o

Doris - I would love some variegates Solomon Seal.

I think I have drumstick allium...

Kerri

o

It looks like I'll be coming and tending to Kerri's items. If it ever warms up again, I plan to do some digging myself. But, I only want to dig what people want. So... does anybody want:

Pink balloon flowers (Platycodon grandiflorus)
white or blue balloon flowers (campanula persicifolia)
Phlox 'David'
Coral Bells 'Dales Strain'
Pineapple sage
Artemisia 'Oriental Limelight'
Campanula 'Elizabeth' s-p-r-e-a-d-s
Hardy Geranium 'magnificum' (purple)
Hardy Geranium (? - purple but NOT Johnson's Blue)
Hardy Geranium 'Biokova' (white)
Siberian Iris 'Snow Queen'
Hosta 'Sum and Substance'
Dwarf Iris 'Dark Vader'
(Pink) Evening Primrose
(Yellow) Missouri Primrose
Ajuga 'Chocolate Chip'
PERSICARIA virginiana 'Lance Corporal'(Painters Palette, also have plain white)
Sedum (tall with lavendar blooms or short with yellow)
bleeding heart (pink or white)
Virginia Bluebells
Feverfew
Sweet Woodruff
1 Brunnera 'Hadspen Cream'
Columbine (white, purple, native, 'William Guiness')
Other Hostas??

I would love to have:
Lilac - Sensation and/or yellow
Dutchman's Breetches
Dark Purple and/or Burgundy Irises
Hosta 'Choo Choo Train'
Coral Bell 'Venus'
Other hostas I don't have
Short ornamental grasses

-Pam

o

Hey pam, i would like pink and white bleeding heart. I also have some dutchman's breeches.

o

Does anyone have any Pandora's Box hosta they can swap for something on my list?

o

hi twin too, id like some blue balloon flowers, dales strain coral bell and sum n substance hosta , i have sensation lilac, grasses and i have hydrangea toooo. and more.. any one want peony's ? Dessa

o

Hi Twin 2, I'd like pineapple mint
&campanula persicifolia. I'll bring a variegated Solomon's seal for Kerri.One for Tina,too.I have extra asters,short purple & tall pink.
Dessa,I'm pretty sure I have Rudbeckia goldsturm.Doris

o

I'm new to the GardenWeb and would be interested in this swap. Will be going to granddaughter's birthday party in Davenport that day at noon and would have to come early and leave by 11 am. Don't want to dig anything unless I know I would be able to swap before 11 am. I would especially like peonies, but would welcome any perennials. I have lots of iris: early brown, yellow and blue/white; starting to bloom white with purple edging, golden yellow, not yet blooming of unknown color. Also would have plenty of wild columbine, and wild lavender anemone (I think it's anemone). Would have clumps of light green sedum that blooms yellow. Would anyone be interested in any trades???

o

Pam ~

I would love to have these from your list:
1. Pineapple sage
2. Hardy Geranium 'Biokova' (white)
3. Siberian Iris 'Snow Queen'
4. Hosta 'Sum and Substance'
5. Dwarf Iris 'Dark Vader'
6. PERSICARIA virginiana Painters Palette
7.bleeding heart (white)
8.Sweet Woodruff
9.1 Brunnera 'Hadspen Cream'

I can bring you:

1. Dutchman's Breetches
2. Dark Purple Irises
3. Hosta 'Choo Choo Train'
Other hostas 4. Coquette, 5. Antioch, 6. So Sweet, 7. Diamond Tiara, 8.Golden Tiara
Short ornamental grasses 9. Strawberrys and Cream Ribbon grass

Sound good?

Does anyone have Hostas "Wide Brim", and Snow Cap" they can share? Thanks

Tina

o

It looks like I've got some digging to do! ;-)

I should be able to fullfill most of the wants, but I'm not sure if I'll have enough brunnera and white bleeding heart to go around. I will get back to everyone once I get to digging and see what I have.

oldpeony, I'd like some of your white with purple trim iris. I can come early to trade with you.

-Pam

o

peony, i have diff peonies to trade for diff. iris, i can come early, dessa

o

Hi!
I would trade some trumpet vine to joefsolon for some Jacob's ladder if you still have some left. I may have some white bleeding heart, too. I haven't gotten to that garden yet except to see the prize winning dandilions rearing their heads.
I'll bring the globe thistle, the rue and I just found some malva that I potted up yesterday.
How do you get your wisteria to reproduce? Mine is sure pretty but I never get any seedlings. I'm also looking for Sweet Anne, I opened my package of seeds and promptly dropped all of them on the lawn.
Elphinstone (actually it is Jo) but I kind of like the name Elphinstone, it is an old family name.

o

Hello All! I feel like I am missing so much here! As many of you may have seen on the news this past weekend there was a house in Morse next to our store that caught fire and burned. Thank God no one was home. The family, who are dear friends of my husband's and mine lost everything. Their insurance agent has been out and already taken care of their claim, thank goodness they had good insurance! But Stacy is going to have to move her plants from around the house in order to save them from the demolition that is just around the corner.
We are going to dig her a bed where she can store her plants until their new house is finished, and will be moving many things. Unfortunately many things were lost to heat and foam and ladders, etc... If any of you could find it in your hearts to bring her a special plant I would be ever so grateful. I will tuck them in her bed, and save them to be transplanted after the new house is up. She loves clematis, roses, and daylilies. Thanks in advance!
Leslie
ps. I can open the doors to the store at 10 am for early trading, but will many things going on that day besides the swap, so please no earlier than that. Sorry.

o

I'll bring something from my garden for Stacy. What a terrible thing to happen! What else are they needing? I have some extra funiture,etc. Please e-mail me and let me know.
Elphinstone

o

i have extras including clematis. ill bring. Dessa

o

Thanks for the offer of furniture Jo! It's very generous. Unfortunately right now there is nowhere to put it until about mid August. They are staying with his folks and I know quarters are a bit cramped right now to say the least.
Right after the fire happened she tried to give me all the plants that weren't destroyed. I reassured her that she would again have a beautiful garden. So, I think plants will make her very happy. Again, thanks for your generosity, and you too Dessa!

o

I saw the fire on the news and thought about you right away Leslie! I know all too well about the casualties of fire! When they get settled into a new place, she's welcome to anything in my garden. In the meantime, I will bring her something nice to the swap.

-Pam

o

I need to ask a huge favor. Except for Joe, Jay, lesliel, and Mary, I am having a difficult time trying to figure who gets what. Could you please post what I am to bring you if you are not on the above list? I would appreciate that very much!

Looking forward to seeing all of you very soon!
Tina

o

ok so far i have grapes and jenny robin perennial for JAY for iris diff colors. JOe gets forsythia for barberry. i have yellow canna for maude and some plant trYS,I have for Koszta , trumpet vine for poached eggs.I wanted ballon flowers coral bell d strain TWIN TOO, for which i had sensation lilac and grasses. iris is giving me white lilac for?? i have hops, h sucle, to tina for?? i have some peonies for oldpeony for diff iris. did i miss any one? il have extra things also, Dessa

o

I still have to ID some of the plants I need to divide. But getting some ready to today happen to have this Am off.

o

Hi from the new gal!
Dessa: bringing peonies and maybe a clematis for iris and herb books
Pam: bringing white bell flower, rosea coreopsis, purple Monarda, white iris, mum, pastel purple asters for fernleaf peony and iris
Mary: pink Texas sage, phlox of sheep, pink geranium, ?white butterfly ginger for garden-themed cards and ?
Tina: hopefully we will make a trade

I don't have many plants, but will try to bring other garden related things to trade with other people. Does anyone need 2-yr. blue flax? I planted them in a meadow garden and there is lots of flax and also lots of an orange cluster flower that I don't know what it is. Can't wait to meet you all.

o

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to check in. I have everyone's wants, I just have to finish digging them up. ;-) I've added Hosta 'Gingko Craig' to the list of stuff I'm bringing. I'm sure I'll be adding more, if I don't run out of time!

-Pam

o

I was bringing a nice large potted Forsythia for Joe.I see someone else is bringing him one,so maybe it is still available.I'm bringing a hydrangea for Leslie. A white lilac for Dessa.I think there will be another white lilac.Have purple short asters.,Purple Dome Tall pink asters.Honeysong Pink. pink coneflower.Does anyone have a single flowered peony?I really want one.I like coleus starts,if ones I don't have. I will bring variegated Solomons Seal.Have Boltonia Snowbank.Blue Mirror or Blue Butterfly Delphinium.Forget which 1.
Doris

o

oh i was getting globe thistle and rue from someone too???? and im adding more jenny ragged robin perennial and pink sea thrift,and red spotted dianthus perrennial.to list im bringing Dessa

o

Will send complete list of trades after work, running late this morning.
Jo

o

maude, im bringing you big pot or pots plus trays and yellow canna, IRIS i may have single , i think my pink with yellow center is .if you did have rudbeckia, still want some. i did make list, im bringing extra also GAUra, Tequila sunrise coriopsis, jenny ragged robin,rain sage,yellow flag water iris.pink sea thrift, red 2tone dianthus hardy, 1 japicona peris[ not a good speller] 1 hy drangea.pincushion flower, TWIN too, had sun n substance hosta, blue balloon flower and i have sensation lilac and grass, also extra sensation strts.i have clematis, diff kinds.i have a honeycucle for Tina and 2 others one yellow one red white n yellow.EPLHINSTONE, i wanted your rue and globe thistle, what did you want?? Dessa

o

Hello,
I am bringing :
White mini rose for Jay
Mountain Bluet-several, am still digging
Globe thistle
Kerria
Two very small disease resistant elms
Tulip tree starts, again very small
Single red peony
Small red cedar tree
Hardy forget me nots
Some ferns-assorted varieties
White bleeding heart
Pink fern leaf bleeding heart
Yellow violet(s?)
Malva
Rue
Have herbs, if anyone wants them:
Sage
Taragon
Oregano
Golden margram
Thyme
Winter savory

Trumpet vines(s)
Gardening books
I may have single red peony
Anything else I can find

I'm still looking and digging. I want the magenta violets, please, and Jacobs Ladder.
See you all soon,
Jo

o

Ooh, Ooh, I want Tequila Sunrise Coreopsis! Mine got dug up by the snow plow this winter - serious bummer! I'm also bringing Krossa Regal hosta. Maybe an astilbe, don't know the color, and some white perennial phlox 'David'. We'll see what all I have time to dig.

Anybody want some columbine 'William Guines'? I have some that Have to be dug up.

-Pam

o

These are my trades (the ones with the dash are the plants i'm bringing for that person:
Doris: -Dark purple iris, light purple iris,
For: Lilac, forsythia
Dessa: -Barberry
For: Forsythia,
Tina: -Dark purple, burgundy irises, Jack in the pulpit, Jacobs ladder, Walk on me, Sedums
Elphinstone:
-Jacobs ladder
For: Trumpet Vine
Pam: -Dutchmans Breeches
For: Bleeding Hearts
These are plants i said i would bring but, sorry to say, they died in their pot (except for passion vine which is not up yet):
- Passion vine
- Wisteria
Hope to see you all there and IT'S GETTING CLOSE!!!!

o
Pictures

Here's pics of the plants i'm bringing;
The order of pictures is:
Sedum, Sedum, Walk on me, Yellow sedum, Jacob's ladder, Barberry, Hepatica, Mums (don't know color), Irises, Phlox, Phlox, Hardy Prickly Pear Cactus, Some type of fern, Jack-in-the-pulpit, and Maidenhair fern.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swap plants

o

ok Twin too, t sunrise varigated coriopsis is yours. i might have one more besides that one ill see .also adding choc. mint, lime mint applemint, Dessa

o

If there happens to be another Tequila Sunrise Coreopsis, I would love to trade for it. I lost mine over the winter, don't know why, but I lost all of my coreopsis plants :-(.

Let me see if I have this right, the swap is NOT tomorrow, but a WEEK from tomorrow......right? Hope so, LoL.

See ya'll soon,
Tina

o

tina ,its a week from sat. in a hurry??? me too. LOL anyway, i have other coriopsis too, i think one is moonbeam and other mouse ears so , i should have something.I always rake my leaves over everything in fall. Joe, my passion vine doesnt come up sometimes till later in june, i always wonder did it make it then , there it is, for 4 yrs now. it is sheltered by house. Dessa

o

Just an FYI. It used to be that when a post on the GW reached 100 enteries it would get archived. And we seem to be getting dangerously close to 100! I don't know if that is still the case, BUT just to be on the safe side I suggest to anyone who posted a list of swaps that they save it on their computer also just in case! The responses have been overwhelming this year so it looks like it's going to be a great swap!
Leslie

o

I can't make it next weekend. I really wanted too. I have the Farmers Market Sat morning and have to get ready for the Pigeon Clubs Flea Market in Burlington. Have done really well at them. Being currently unemployed it will come in handy. Is there ever a Swap in the Fall? Looking forward to this for awhile, so disappointed. Have a great time all!!
Paws

o

I guess I better find out where the swap is located since it's my first year and I dont know. I'm bringing quite a few iris, double pink columbine, herb books, and some unrelated items to trade (in addition to those I've already prearranged a trade with). Really looking forward to it. Someone please post the location!!

o

hi all , think im already, JOE, forsythia for barberry, MAUDE, im bringing 1-2 big pots , trays and yellow canna,TINA , hops, trumpet, honeysucle vine. ELPHINSTONE, i want globe thistle, and rue , you want???? TWIN TOO, I wanted balloon flower, sumnsubstance hosta,i have grass,and t sunrise coriopsis,some for Iris too for the white LILac. Old PEONY, i have a clematis, and peonies, for Iris's and herb books. JAY, i have your jenny robin ragged, a hosta, grapes. a jap.peris, bush neat pink flowers itll have. for diff color Iris. ive mentioned above some extras im bringing, plus maybe 1-2 dapple willow[varigated] and some rose of sharon,and asst coriopsis.and clematis.oh my I need a truck LOL.I will trade for gardening books also, more i can read on tthe better, evryone thinks i know it all at Lowes LOL so far ive fooled em...... well i do TRY to keep up. see you all sat. if somthing spec, you want email me. I do have tropicals here too. Dessa

o

Dessa, were you still going to bring the sensation lilac?

oldpeony, I will explain how to get to Morse. Take I-80 to exit 246. This is Highway 1. Head North for about 3 1/2 miles until you see the Morse sign. Turn right onto Morse Rd. It will be a couple of miles down on the left. It's the Old Morse Store. Hopefully, we will already be there getting ready. What time will you be there?

-Pam

o

oops yes TWIN TOO i do have your sensation lilac. im also adding to list im bringing, a dapple willow bush/tree its varigated white pink n green. DEssa

o

Okay! Rain or shine, the swap is tomorrow! See everyone there!
Leslie

o

Dessa ~

I would LOVE the dappled willow. I seen one at Lows this week and thought it was so beautiful. If you happen to find an extra T. coreopsis and grapes, I would love those as well.
If anyone needs to divide any peonies, I am looking for quite a few of them for a hedge.
Looking forward to seeing ya'll.

Tina

o

well this is late but if any one checks in and has it im looking for cornflowers... thanks see all tomorrow, Dessa

o

THANK YOU LESLIE, for a GREAT swap, has a wonderful time, Dessa

o

Thank You!!
To all of my new friends,I can not begin to tell you what a fantastic experience my first swap was yesterday. I can't wait to get the new plants in ground.
Where do you "hang out" on gardenweb.com when you aren't busy getting ready for the swap, I would like to stay in touch as much as possible.
Thank you again, what a pleasure you provide.
Jo

o

Thanks for another great swap, Leslie!
I arrived home as the parade in Washington was winding down, and people at our house were amazed at the variety and number of neat plants I unloaded. "You mean they just gave you THAT?!"
I think we might have another new face or two at the next swap (they're jealous ; >)

Thanks again!

o

Just wanted everyone to know I had a great time at the swap. Thank you Leslie for hosting and Dessa, I would love to come to another one this fall. I worried about the plants in the trunk and back seat of my car because they sat there all night Saturday while I visited my daughter in Davenport. But Sunday morning I headed home and felt much better when I saw they weren't drooping! Sunday night we planted a few things in my prairie area, a few things in my only shaded area, and the rest just got planted in rows at the end of our large vegetable garden. My husband groaned a bit and said my flowers were beginning to take over his veggies, but he like the flowers too. I hope you were all happy with my trades.........hope to have more plants by next year. Keep in touch. Ruth

o

Hello everyone. It was a great swap. Thanks to Leslie and any one else who helped arrange this. It was my first swap as well and i was amazed at how many plants i took home! I thought i'd come home with the same amount or less that i brought, but i filled up a whole fourth of my garage. I hope all of the plants i gave to people are doing all right, if not, just tell me and i'll bring a new one at the next swap. When is it, any ways?? I don't have ALL of the plants planted yet because i'm in the process of weeding a 20x20 ft flower garden and i don't want to plant the plant in weeds. We're also going to till up another 100 square feet of space, so i'm waiting for that. I planted all of the irises, though. ALL beautiful colors. I mowed and tilled up a patch in the side of the woods. I made a border of skinny logs and a path through the middle. In the back,(as the "foundation", or "strong point" of the garden) i planted a back row of almost black irises, and like 5 more rows of iris colors. It will look really neat when they all bloom at once. i'll just have to wait till next year to see the colors, then transplant them. Great swap. thanks to everyone and have a happy summer!
Joe F.

o

Like usual, I had a wonderful time at the swap! It was good to see so many new faces! And, believe it or not, I didn't have to drag my son out, he WANTED to come and help!

I still don't have everything planted, but I am taking care of them! And, Tony is taking care of "his" plant. I am very excited about the things that I got, I am hoping to go to the fall swap.

-Pam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Iowa are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here