Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pam_k_gw

East Central Iowa Swap - 5/31

Pam_K
21 years ago

What:

A chance for gardening enthusiasts to meet other gardeners and to swap plants and other gardening items.

Details:

Date: Saturday, May 31

Where: Morse, IA (we'll send directions when you register.)

Time: 9:30 - setup, 10:00-12:00 swap

Who: Anyone interested in gardening

Hostess: Leslie Hartvigsen (Thanks!!)

Here's how:

1) Register: Send me an e-mail with the subject line "IA Spring Plant Swap." Please include; your real and GW name, e-mail and home address; and any questions or concerns to: PAM.KRAUS@LMSCAE.COM

I will confirm everyones registration and send updates, directions and details out as warranted.

2) Post here: Post here to let everyone know you're coming and what you plan to bring and what you're looking for. This allows for pre-trading and other preparations.

Miscellaneous; bring a card table and chair(s). Label everything and provide as much information as possible. Pot or bag up most perennials. Most bulbs, corms, and tubers can be brought dry. You're welcome to bring other gardening and yard items to trade for plants.

I'm sure I forgot something, so feel free to contact me with any questions, concerns, or comments.

-Pam

Comments (28)

• LeslieL
    21 years ago

OK, I'm working on my mosaics, and I will be bringing a few stepping stones and some bird baths and a couple of pots that I have finished. I will have to check at my old house and see what I have a bunch of to bring plantwise. What's everyone else bringing? I'm looking for hostas, and beverly sills iris. At least those are the two things just off the top of my head....
    Leslie

• Pam_K
    Original Author
    21 years ago

For starters, I think I'm bringing:

Artemisia "Oriental Limelight"
    Lamb's Ear
    White Bellflower
    Sedum "Dragons Blood"
    Gladiolus "Orlando"

Seedlings:
    Pink Balloon Flower
    Blue Bellflower
    Yucca

We'll have to wait and see on the rest!

-Pam

• Baumer
    21 years ago

I'm not sure what I'm all bringing. Just off the top my head red peony poppies,kiss me over garden gate, ground sedum autumn sedum,stello day lilys.white chives, Mexican hats,and red bee balm. And have started some seeds and will make cutting of rose scented Germ. + some house plants.

• iris321
    21 years ago

Hi, My "Have" list got in the wrong spot! Doris

• LeslieL
    21 years ago

Guess what Doris! I have some of your wants! I have burgundy glow ajuga and shasta daisies, loads of 'em. You can save some of that striped grass and some of your cannas for me. I'm ashamed to say that the heat went out in the shop for a couple of days and the cannas you gave me last year froze. At least this year I will have a basement to keep them in.
    Leslie

• Maude_IA
    21 years ago

I'll be there, I think, with some or most of these (depends on how long my back holds out when digging & dividing). Most of my plants are shade lovers.

staghorn fern pups - 5 only, and only if they survive the surgery to separate them from the parent plant
    hosta - both varigated and blue
    ferns - no name - the kind that grow around the front porch of old houses
    Solomon's seal
    bloodroot (from our yard - not collected in the wild)
    columbine - wild type and possible some blue ones

tomato babies - a large cherry type that reseeds itself each year
    yarrow - the daughters of a huge yellow monster whose name I've forgotten, but she grows at least five feet high and has lots of large yellow flowers
    siberian iris

• LeslieL
    21 years ago

Hi Maude,
    I would love a couple of cherry tomatoes and some of your hostas. I will also be bringing some black eyed susans, and I will post a picture tonight of the mosaics I am making. I'll put a link to it when I figure out where to post it.
    Leslie

• Pam_K
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Hi Maude, I'd love to have some of your ferns, Solomon's seal, and bloodroot.

Doris, I have some Bronze Beauty Ajuga (burgundy colored) if you still need some. I'll bring it along. I also lost a few perennials this year for the same reason. I know that I lost a nice Heuchera "Snow Angel" (that one seriously bummed me out), a variegated Jacob's Ladder, at least one primrose, and one Pulmonaria.

Anyone want some variegated vinca major or some pachysandra?

-Pam

• LeslieL
    21 years ago

Pam, I would love some variegated vinca....
    Leslie

• Baumer
    21 years ago

I guess will have to get out flower book and find some names to some of my plants. And one my houses I clean just moved into house going to redo flower-beds. Said can have as much as I want. And have to redo have list.

• mkeilers
    21 years ago

Gosh, was thinking I wouldn't be able to come but I'm drooling. I know I have some Iris's (what size division is best for trade?), Queen of the Prairie, statice (Pink and red), morning glory (5 different varieties but daughter scattered seeds so you get what you get :), Heritage perennial sweet pea seeds (comes up every year - they were from DH's great great grandma ), peony, bee balm (purple and red), and of I don't know - I have been very lax about dividing last three years because of work so I'll have to wade through the jungle :), raspberries and blackberries.

• LeslieL
    21 years ago

Hi! I posted a pic of a few of my more colorful mosaics in the garden art gallery. I would like to swap some of these for plants. Let me know if anyone is interested. I also have a couple of "birdbaths" and the stepping stones vary in size. The ones shown are smallish, around 6" sq. I also will have a couple of lg round ones and a few 12" square ones.
    Mkeilers, I think you have plenty of stuff to come to the swap with! I would love some of your sweet pea seeds, Queen of the Prairie and purple bee balm. So I hope you do decide to come!
    Leslie

Here is a link that might be useful: my mosaics

• Baumer
    21 years ago

Anyone have taller phlox like bright eyes. My Farmer friend brought me some more rocks. Going to Heloipsis summer sun. And potting up cup and saucer vines. Will red oriental bulbs. potted some up that had to be moved. Will be moving lots of plants putting addition on late summer early fall.

• iowgardenangel
    20 years ago

hi im new here , agood friend told me about this site , i have coffe tree starts, peony, cannas,hops vines,honeysuckle,lilac bushes purple and purple with white edge. pond plants,and some herbs.i am very interested in a mosaic bird bath...

• iowgardenangel
    20 years ago

anyone have a white lilac bush start?also would love any type bird houses..

• iowgardenangel
    20 years ago

baumer, id love a cup and saucer vine hopefully ive listed something you can use.

• LeslieL
    20 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    Jay from Missouri asked me to let everyone know that he will be bringing bluebird houses and daylilies. (He always has a great selection of daylilies with pics!) Contact me for his email addy.
    My list is growing to include mosaiced bird baths and stepping stones, blackeyed susans, yellowish mums, a few small dutchman's pipe vines, ostrich ferns, pink lilacs, and a therese bugnet rose.
    Leslie

• Pam_K
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Can anyone bring some lamium, I lost some this winter and want to replace it?!

-Pam

• stan_ia_z4
    20 years ago

I lost many plants last year. I hope someone will be bringing Bee Balm, Lambs ear, Brow-eyed-susan, Pink Lamium, Lavender, Basket flower. These and others I lost last winter.

• LeslieL
    20 years ago

Stan -
    I can help you out with the bee balm,lambs ear and Brown eyed susan. Glad to do it too!
    Leslie

• Baumer
    20 years ago

Even though some my plants would trade until I know what the 24-d spray will do to them. Bring ferns,white or red beebalms,bishop weeds,goats beard,red daylily,melva,russian sage,fern bleeding heart.white lilacs,rose book,hanging basket book,and kiss me over garden gate babies. And I think plant that had no name is Penta. Connie-lee

• Baumer
    20 years ago

Forgot to add have 4 gallon peace lily. And have some house plants. Kinda like African Violet-has furry leafs and red flowers.

• Pam_K
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I've added a few things and I won't be bringing Lamb's Ear (I managed to kill it). Here's what's new:

Coreopsis Rosea
    Russian Sage
    Calla Lily bulbs (yellow and white)
    Campanula Carpatica seedlings - Jingle Bells
    Lavender Lady - for Stan, if he wants it!

Plus, a few other odds and ends. I'm sure I'll have more as I continue around the yard! Now I need more soil!

-Pam

• stan_ia_z4
    20 years ago

Pam writes: Lavender Lady - for Stan, if he wants it! ..............YUP, I sure do and thank U, and I look 4word 2 c-ing U. Stan

• Maude_IA
    20 years ago

Lamb's ears? I can bring some - it's a very happy camper in our yard - plenty to spare.

• LeslieL
    20 years ago

Does anyone have mock orange they could share?
    Leslie

• Baumer
    20 years ago

Few of my house going to let me STEAL afew flowers. Some of the plants I was going to bring got hit by the over-spray. Even though they look better would want someone to get sick plant. Also got few wine color calla lily bulbs.And hen and chicks. I divided the peace lily--container weighed 75 pounds.

• LeslieL
    20 years ago

Ok, I think I'm ready. Everyone excited? I am....

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County