Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tall evergreen hedge recommendations?

Posted by floyd2006 5a-5b (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 6, 07 at 0:50

Could someone recommend an evergreen hedge tree that is not an arborvitae and that would grow over 15 feet in height? It would be especially useful for me if it was narrow or columnular and provided year round visual screening. Suggestions would be most appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tall evergreen hedge recommendations?

Take a look at Juniperus virginiana 'Taylor'.

I planted two Taylor junipers as accents three years ago, but have considered planting more to create a screen.

I have to protect everything from ravenous rabbits, even these.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taylor juniper at NE state arboretum

o

Thanks very much for the recommendation. Its just the type I was looking for. How tall has yours grown? My only hesitation in using juniper (which I prefer for appearance) as over against arborvitae, is the slower growth rate.

o

Mine started out at about 8 inches tall in 2003. They are 3-4 feet tall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here