Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
January 2006 Thoughts

Posted by IronBelly 5a - Iowa (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 1, 06 at 2:01

Thoughts From The Belly
copyright January 2006
By: Dan Mays Ironbelly1@aol.com

Fresh gardening opportunity lies before us again. I like to ask myself these two questions every January.
1. What do I want my garden to do for me this year?
2. What do I want to do in the garden this year?

These two questions lend a sense of direction to my gardening efforts. Although we all joke about plants that just jump into our shopping carts at the garden center, inevitably these willy-nilly decisions too often wind up looking willy-nilly in the garden as well. Of course, a large portion of the answer to question #1 always includes wanting a garden that requires less repetitive maintenance chores for me. Whenever a new, beautiful plant especially tempts me, one of the questions I always ask myself is: How much maintenance is this plant going to require? Especially with our recent (and pending?) drought, plants requiring lots of watering should be finding it especially difficult to make it into your take-home basket at the garden center.

I plan to propagate and continue investigating a fairly new, drought-tolerant Artemisia that is easy to maintain. To be certain, one has to be careful with the genus Artemisia because so many of these become rampant thugs in the garden. Of course Silver Mound Artemisia, although well-behaved, has always had problems with lodging. Just after it would get that really nice, full look, the darn plant would flop open from the center, even if you grew it in a very lean soil. Last year I trialed Sea Foam Artemisia as an alternative and was quite impressed. It too has a compact, well-behaved growth habit but never even hinted at flopping. It also has a curiously distinct texture and color that is unmatched in the garden. The only visual comparison that I can make is that the leaves of Sea Foam look like the lichen they use for fake trees on model railroad sets. Although this plant has earned a larger role in my garden this year, it lacks that ever-so-soft feel of Silver Mound. If for no other reason, Ill keep my Silver Mound because I know of no other plant that is softer to the touch.

As to my #2 question: I want to install a paver patio off of my new sunroom at the rear of my house. Additionally, I would like to create a little shade from trees planted to the west of this area to temper the intense, afternoon prairie sun.

One thing that I will be bearing in mind with this project is avoiding the dreaded Do-It-Yourself look. Now I have nothing against a DIYer. I am a fully-fledged one myself. However, in our exuberance to let people know; "I did this myself!" we DIYers sometimes lose perspective. We are proud of our efforts and too often want to make a bold statement. We mistakenly choose materials that really stand out in order to accentuate our abilities. The problem comes when multiple projects are eventually completed and everyone of them tries to individually stand out. Pretty soon, each project begins visually competing with every other project. A sense of demure continuity is lost and each project separately demands attention to the point of distraction and visual chaos. Although I want to imbue a sense of quality in the patio, the chosen paver color will be somewhat subdued to allow guests to pay attention to my chosen focal points in the landscape. Rather than creating a patio as an ultimate destination for my guests, I prefer that it become a comfortable "launching pad" into the wonders of my prairie landscape. Of course, guests can always return to the patio for a comfortable seat and a cool drink but I want that to be an afterthought.

Several of the tree choices are still open. However, rather than one large shade tree, I think that I will concentrate upon utilizing several smaller trees to create variety and generate multiple seasons of interest. One of the trees I have already purchased is a hybrid of the red buckeye called 'Fort McNair'. Another tree choice fairly recently brought over from China will be the Seven-Sons tree (Heptacodium miconioides). An interesting mix of conifers and deciduous trees is what I am striving for. To be sure, it will be a fine line I have to walk when trying to utilize trees within an essentially prairie garden. Normally, trees are not considered part of the prairie. This will be one of the issues Ill be mulling over a cup of coffee this winter with my lovely wife, Cyndia.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: January 2006 Thoughts

I actually dreamed last night of some of the things I want to do in the garden. I got up in the middle of the night, gazed at the large sleeping perennial bed in my front yard. The dream was far from actuality. LOL
I too have been looking at a few additions here and there. The yard of my country home has so many places that can be improved.By the time I have everything the way I want it, I'll be to old to maintain it.

o

Whatcheer,

I believe it was Robert Louis Stevenson who said:
"It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

IronBelly

o

We built a house this year out in the country on top of a stark clay hill surrounded by 2nd year prairie grasses and flowers. I would like to stick with the drought tolerant, native flowers and grasses and I would like to have a few trees. Do you have any thoughts on how I can achieve a smooth transition from beds to prairie?
All my landscaping books have yards with boundaries and I would really like to stay away from mowing grass. I might have a Hawthorne, red bud and several dwarf Alberta spruces that survived the move, but I'm afraid the spruces will look out of place surrounded by ten acres of prairie.

o

Digger,

I'm sorry that I won't be able to give you an adequate answer. I've got too many irons in the fire right now. I do suggest that you post your query on the Meadows & Prairies Forum.

IronBelly

o

IB,
I ducked into this Forum hoping that you would have a few January thoughts of wisdom. Glad to hear that the Seven-Sons tree is more available. I must try one here in the southern humidity to see if it will survive.

As you are patio planning you might find the current thread on the Greenhouse Forum titled "Let's brainstorm: thermal mass" interesting. Work your way through the postings. But it is the ideas toward the end where you will note some thoughts that could be jury-rigged into rain garden concepts. You should, I think, quickly understand why I bring this to your attention. Happy New Year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here