Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowajewel

Anyone from around the Sioux City or Okoboji area?

iowajewel
18 years ago

Just looking to connect with someone in my area. I am new to this forum and am very interested in landscaping. Just need some new ideas......and maybe even meet a new friend or two!

Julie

Comments (12)

• pedalpusher
    18 years ago

Thought I'd let you know that I'm from your area and am also interested in landscaping. Am working on a few projects and would love to get new ideas, run ideas past someone etc.

good to hear of someone close.

• soobee
    18 years ago

Hey, there! I moved from Sioux City to the Cherokee area two years ago (really should change my screen name, eh?) and have been looking for gardening pals for quite some time...there doesn't seem to be a strong network in this area (or they're quiet ;-).

Currently, I'm working on turning my 3/4's of an acre into a certified Backyard Habitat, and a mini-orchard, but my enduring passion has always been perennial flower gardening. Good to meet you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Home

• pedalpusher
    18 years ago

Good to meet you to. I'm from the Holstein area and have been working on some big projects also. 3/4 of an acre I'm betting you can't wait for spring. I'm kinda wondering where I need to start but hopefully I can get a plan soon. I love perennials also. I've found the same as I've had a hard time finding people with a strong interest in all this fun stuff in the area to. Thanks for the response!

• mary_s
    18 years ago

Hi! I am from Sheldon area but also have a place at the lakes. I am mostly into hostas and daylilies, but have a few other perennials. I like to trade with other gardeners (in the warmer months!)

• iowajewel
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. Maybe we could converse and learn from each other and at least, support each other's love for gardening!!!!!

Any interest in getting together sometime? Maybe in Sheldon or Sioux City.....or even like LeMars?
    Let me know........Julie

• sundae
    18 years ago

Greetings, soobee I love the pictures!! I am out in the country here by Cleghorn area, so I guess I am right in the middle area of you all. I always have big dreams about having a great garden and yard, but seem to always fall short some where :o) My pride pocession is the willow tree in the front yard by our road. It is a clipping from a tree of my mothers that this one came from Ca., where that one came from, Ak., from Ca. again, from Or. from Ca. again, so it really has a "family tree"! I love to grow gourds also.
    Julie always interested in meeting new people to.

Sandy

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

I am live on a farm in the Ocheyedan area. 1/2 hr. from the lakes and from Sheldon. Maybe a NW IA plant swap would be fun.

Michelle

• chief_runningdeere
    18 years ago

Just checking in.....mostly I just lurk and read, but couldn't resist this post. Nice to meet you all. I live in the country north of Storm Lake on 3 1/2 acres. 2 1/2 is lawn area and 1 acre is garden area. I collect garden tractors and use them here with various attachments. Mainly John Deere and a couple Cases. For me mini-farming is an enjoyable hobby.

I have been self employed since 1979 doing tree work, logging, and landscaping for customers. (not a shameless attempt to get work here) If you have questions concerning trees or landscapes, I would be happy to answer them here for you. Posting pictures with your questions will help me to understand your situation a bit better.

I have relatives in a couple of your cities listed and perhaps some day we may meet up.

Brad

• randyw
    18 years ago

Hi all, we are located at Hospers, about 45 mins north of Sioux City on Hiway 60 & about an hour or slightly more from the Lakes area. We have a nice-sized lot on which we have a pond, some grapevines & various landscaping we have done. I focus more on the trees & shrubs, my wife more on the perennials & annuals. It's getting more exciting now that we've seen our first robin, geese can be seen flying north, our pond has thawed completely so that the goldfish are moving around, the spring bulbs are poking their leaves through the ground, etc.

Best wishes,
    Randy W.

• mary_s
    18 years ago

It's great to see some fellow NW Iowans on the GW! A plant swap would be fun sometime. Right now I am beginning to get anxious for spring.....saw my first robins today. What a beautiful day it was. The forcast is not so great but lets hope for nicer days ahead! I have a few crocus and dafodils trying to peek thru. Hospers is real close and Ocheydan is not far either! Mary

• maryamatney
    18 years ago

Hey, just found this site. I live on the outskirts of So. Sioux City, Nebraska. So, I'am fairly close to the other areas. I'm mostly interested in perennial flowers, trees and shrubs.I have a fairly large yard and I'am trying to fill it up with as many plants as I can. In the near future I would like to take classes to become a Master Gardener. I'm really happy to see there are other gardeners in the area. Mary

• growlove
    9 years ago

I am close to Sioux City and surrounding areas. Have a yearly plant sale after digging about 600 perennials. Mary