Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer Options

Posted by debra_c Z5 KS (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 5, 07 at 14:40

I am fairly new to the Des Moines area. There seem to be an inordinate number of deer living in residential areas here. We are renting now, but plan to buy a house in a semi-treed area, so we assume deer will be a problem in an unfenced yard. Since the deer absolutely DRAINED my bird feeders last night, I guess they are on my mind. What ideas have you found that work to deter deer? I am an avid gardener and bird feeder. I think the deer seem to like the same things I do.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer Options

I live in West Des Moines, and my particular neighborhood doesn't have deer, but we do have ravenous rabbits.

About the birdfeeder, if you want to keep feeding the birds, I would go to Wild Birds Unlimited and ask for a feeder that the deer won't be able to raid. Most feeders are set up to be squirrel-repellent, but they might have something that would work for both squirrels and deer.

Unfortunately, unless you put up deer fence around your property, there is no such thing as a guaranteed deer deterrent. There are plants that they are less likely to bother, and there is a pretty effective repellent (Liquid Fence - if you use it religously). but fencing is the only way to keep deer out of your yard if you live in a deer-infested neighborhood. Some homeowners have luck with stringing up lengths of fishing line at chest height--the deer don't like bumping into it, and they can't see it very well.

o

I live North of Ames next to the Squaw River Valley. We have numerous Deer. I've found that a Scarecrow sprinkler works fairly well (not perfect). The drawback is that a constant water supply is needed for it to operate. If you pay for water then it may be a drain on funds.

o

I use Deer Fortress and have not had a problem with deer.

Diann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here