Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rnbwgrl

Greenhouse / Nurseries

rnbwgrl
14 years ago

Ok, I know it is kind of dead in here, but I was hoping we could start a thread of our local greenhouse/nurseries. Or of places that we go in Iowa...

Here are mine . . . .

Des Moines area:

Goode's Greenhouse

Lucille's on E Hubbell

Des Moines Seed

Des Moined Feed

Harvey's in Adel

Piney Ridge

Iowa City area:

Maple Ave Greenhouse - Kalona - this one is run by the Amish, so no website or phone number, but the prices and quality of the plants are INCREDIBLE!!

Rhea's - Wellman, IA

Comments (14)

• rbrady
    14 years ago

My favorites are:
    Iowa City area: Pleasant Valley
    Earl May
    Quad Cities area: Wallace's Greenhouse
    Meyers Tree Farm
    Gardentown

Rhonda

• sosusie
    14 years ago

Ogle's in Albia. Little bit of everything including heirloom tomato plants.
    Ellis's in Chariton...beautiful flowers and hanging baskets.
    SOS

• iowgardenangel
    14 years ago

Pecks in cedar rapids, Tipton Greenhouse [its small but alot of variety....]

• hawki
    14 years ago

Is The Perennial Flower Farm in Ionia still open? I've been meaning to drive up there in the spring for about ten years, but I never make it. I'm thinking this year for sure...

• sfallen2002
    14 years ago

Nah, that Maple Ave Greenhouse - just a myth, prices are terrible, no selection, don't bother.. it's too far away! (is it working?)
    Guess that cat has left the bag eh?

I'm looking for some nursery/greenhouse that sells blueberry plants. The stuff you can get through mailorder is small enough to go through the mail and never does much for me. There is a nursery in Michigan that sells BB "bushes" but if I bought two I'd have no room in the vehicle. So ideally 2-3 foot plants.. oh yeah, I think they were around $35-40.00 each too. A couple of those and I'd be set.

The 1 gallon pot variety - too small! I want a plant I can put in the ground and get BLUEBERRIES the next season!

Anyone?

• ulrikedg_gmail_com
    14 years ago

I love Piney Ridge in Johnston! Goode was disappointing both of the times I tried them. They're huge, but there's nothing special about them or their selection.

I'll have to check out Tipton Greenhouse the next time I visit my sister.

Also, near Council Bluffs in Glenwood is Lehman's Greenhouse. They carry Brandywine Tomatoes, which are sometimes hard to find in that area. They also have lots of fruit trees and sometimes chicks & ducklings for sale. Last year, there were 4-6 ducks that lived in the greenhouses. My kids thought that was really neat!

• rnbwgrl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

>>Posted by sfallen2002 z5 IA (My Page) on Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 10:23

>>Nah, that Maple Ave Greenhouse - just a myth, prices are terrible, no selection, don't bother.. it's too far away! >>is it working?)
    >>Guess that cat has left the bag eh?

OH, um, what I MEANT to say is DON'T go there, really no need to take all the good stuff, I mean, uh waste your time with it... and REALLY 2 hours is far to long to drive, right?

SFallen, I head there every spring, with my Step-Mother-In-Law. We stop at Rhea's in Wellman and at Maple ave, and then she comes over and we hit a bunch of places in Des Moines, as well as the Polk County Master Gardener Plant Sale the first weekend in May. =)

Mel

• sfallen2002
    14 years ago

Sounds like a great itinerary to me ;)
    Glad to see I wasn't too obtuse on that post.

• connie-carder_uiowa_edu
    13 years ago

This Amish nursery is phenomenal. I have been going there for 5 years and travel about 18 miles to get there. No other place can match their geraniums. The prices are very reasonable and plants are as healthy as you will find. Their huge hanging baskets are gorgeous for $22.00 I don't know what Mel is talking about in his review. I can't believe he is even speaking of the same place. My only explaination is he may have been there too late in the spring. You have to go early.

• trovesoftrilliums
    12 years ago

OOO can anyone give directions to this awful maple nursery in kalona?

• jhagerman
    11 years ago

Yes I too would like the directions to the Kalona market witht he great flower buys. The one on maple ave.

• aeacos
    10 years ago

Maple Avenue Nursery is at 1069 Maple Ave just north of Kalona. At the spotlight on hwy 22 and Maple ave (Casey is on NE corner) turn north and stay on Maple Ave, Nursery is north of town on left.

search for 41.499988,-91.705177 in link

Use the Lat/Long as address will send you to far north on maple ave

Here is a link that might be useful: Google map

• lettsbets
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I know this is an older thread, but does anyone know what days Maple Avenue Nursery is open? Not Sunday, of course. The Stringtown Grocery used to be closed on Tuesdays but I think that is no longer the case. I've heard that the nursery has a great selection of fall plants, too. Just don't want to make the trip this week & find them closed. Thanks.

• iowagner
    7 years ago

I know this is really old (and sorry, I don't have an answer for you, lettsbets), but I thought I'd comment here in case anyone else is perusing the Iowa message boards like I was and this pops up.

Holub Garden & Greenhouse in Ames is great, too. It was a treasure to find, with native perennials and a good selection of bedding plants and hard-to-find herbs, too. I also really like Des Moines Feed and Seed, as they're really nice and helpful and have a surprisingly good selection of roses (and it's fun to shop with chickens running around you).

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21