Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Greenhouse / Nurseries

Posted by rnbwgrl 5a (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 3, 10 at 18:10

Ok, I know it is kind of dead in here, but I was hoping we could start a thread of our local greenhouse/nurseries. Or of places that we go in Iowa...

Here are mine . . . .

Des Moines area:
Goode's Greenhouse
Lucille's on E Hubbell
Des Moines Seed
Des Moined Feed
Harvey's in Adel
Piney Ridge

Iowa City area:
Maple Ave Greenhouse - Kalona - this one is run by the Amish, so no website or phone number, but the prices and quality of the plants are INCREDIBLE!!
Rhea's - Wellman, IA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Greenhouse / Nurseries

• Posted by rbrady 5/Eastern Ia (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 8, 10 at 21:59

My favorites are:
Iowa City area: Pleasant Valley
Earl May
Quad Cities area: Wallace's Greenhouse
Meyers Tree Farm
Gardentown

Rhonda

o

Ogle's in Albia. Little bit of everything including heirloom tomato plants.
Ellis's in Chariton...beautiful flowers and hanging baskets.
SOS

o

Pecks in cedar rapids, Tipton Greenhouse [its small but alot of variety....]

o

Is The Perennial Flower Farm in Ionia still open? I've been meaning to drive up there in the spring for about ten years, but I never make it. I'm thinking this year for sure...

o

Nah, that Maple Ave Greenhouse - just a myth, prices are terrible, no selection, don't bother.. it's too far away! (is it working?)
Guess that cat has left the bag eh?

I'm looking for some nursery/greenhouse that sells blueberry plants. The stuff you can get through mailorder is small enough to go through the mail and never does much for me. There is a nursery in Michigan that sells BB "bushes" but if I bought two I'd have no room in the vehicle. So ideally 2-3 foot plants.. oh yeah, I think they were around $35-40.00 each too. A couple of those and I'd be set.

The 1 gallon pot variety - too small! I want a plant I can put in the ground and get BLUEBERRIES the next season!

Anyone?

o

I love Piney Ridge in Johnston! Goode was disappointing both of the times I tried them. They're huge, but there's nothing special about them or their selection.

I'll have to check out Tipton Greenhouse the next time I visit my sister.

Also, near Council Bluffs in Glenwood is Lehman's Greenhouse. They carry Brandywine Tomatoes, which are sometimes hard to find in that area. They also have lots of fruit trees and sometimes chicks & ducklings for sale. Last year, there were 4-6 ducks that lived in the greenhouses. My kids thought that was really neat!

o

>>Posted by sfallen2002 z5 IA (My Page) on Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 10:23

>>Nah, that Maple Ave Greenhouse - just a myth, prices are terrible, no selection, don't bother.. it's too far away! >>is it working?)
>>Guess that cat has left the bag eh?

OH, um, what I MEANT to say is DON'T go there, really no need to take all the good stuff, I mean, uh waste your time with it... and REALLY 2 hours is far to long to drive, right?

SFallen, I head there every spring, with my Step-Mother-In-Law. We stop at Rhea's in Wellman and at Maple ave, and then she comes over and we hit a bunch of places in Des Moines, as well as the Polk County Master Gardener Plant Sale the first weekend in May. =)

Mel

o

Sounds like a great itinerary to me ;)
Glad to see I wasn't too obtuse on that post.

o
Maple Avenue Nursery Kalona

This Amish nursery is phenomenal. I have been going there for 5 years and travel about 18 miles to get there. No other place can match their geraniums. The prices are very reasonable and plants are as healthy as you will find. Their huge hanging baskets are gorgeous for $22.00 I don't know what Mel is talking about in his review. I can't believe he is even speaking of the same place. My only explaination is he may have been there too late in the spring. You have to go early.

o

OOO can anyone give directions to this awful maple nursery in kalona?

o

Yes I too would like the directions to the Kalona market witht he great flower buys. The one on maple ave.

o

Maple Avenue Nursery is at 1069 Maple Ave just north of Kalona. At the spotlight on hwy 22 and Maple ave (Casey is on NE corner) turn north and stay on Maple Ave, Nursery is north of town on left.

search for 41.499988,-91.705177 in link

Use the Lat/Long as address will send you to far north on maple ave

Here is a link that might be useful: Google map

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here