Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tillynilly

butterfly bush

tillynilly
17 years ago

I've purchased at least 3 b-fly bushes last year and not one made it. All the websites I checked out said it is a pretty easy plant so i'm just very confused. Have any of you had this problem and what can i do to help it survive this spring?!

Comments (7)

• iowgardenangel
    17 years ago

hi , ive had one of 3 survive, i mulched heavy and it did apear at bottom to leave ou late almost thought it was dead.

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

The best thing I have found, is to plant in full sun, boarder with stones, and don't prune until well past last frost date, then cut the entire plant down to 10 inches tall.

• randyw
    17 years ago

We are in zone 4b & can generally get butterfly bushes to grow for us. There are other people in our area who have also had some success with these plants. We have even transplanted them in the spring successfully, from one spot to another. A few key things:

White Profusion - we have 2 - seems to be the most vigorous, reliable & profuse flowering for us. Black Knight, Royal Red, "Petite" varieties - generally hardy. Pink Delight - we lost the first two we tried; the third one has survived since 2001. These are all "davidii" varieties. Yellow varieties - NO success for us, tried twice.

We don't prune them in the fall, waiting until late spring after we see new growth. This also provides a nice landscape effect in the winter. They are all planted in somewhat mulched areas. We also like to see that they have some leaves or snow over them during the winter. They are one of the later things to sprout in spring, so don't get impatient. Ours are all planted on the southern section of our lot. They are neitherly overly sheltered nor overly exposed. So far, we have lost none that survived their first winter. Ours seems to recover from late spring frosts & even last later in the fall than most plants.

Best wishes,
    Randy W.

• cathy3777
    17 years ago

I've had a white butterfly bush for 6-7 years. It's always very slow to sprout in spring. I cut it back to 10-12 inches, and new sprouts eventually show. It grows so fast then, and makes up for the slow start. Each year I'm afraid that it finally died, but so far so good. I really love it. It's in full sun and gets quite large.

• flowergazer
    17 years ago

I have had good luck, they come up late so I leave all the dead on so I know where it is when it finially comes up

• ditas
    17 years ago

Hi - I was just out there these couple of glorious weeks doing the annual garden/yard Spring-cleanup and had to prune mine to 6 inches, as the past ice-storm followed by blizzardy conditions did damage to the woody branches (what a mess)! Like Iowgardenangel, I too, panicked last Spring and thought I lost her - she, as was assured by the nursery, loves to sleep in and will stay up late to make up. I planted my Royal Red, just 2years ago - I waited for a good show of life in May & in a matter of a week, moved her to a more suitable site as some of you know, she has a 'not so neat' habits. You will surely see life at the bases by May if she comes to life. In a matter of 2 weeks after her move, my R.Red just shot up and grew beautifully!

My grand-dau and I had more delights last season, with all the butterflies and hummers visiting ... she is certainly worth all her unkempt growth habits ... 'wish I have more space for her cousins. I also plant parsley nearby, as butterfly breeding hosts herb.

• rose_nutty
    17 years ago

Don't assume they didn't make it just yet. I have 3 full-sized ones in my yard, and planted 6 more last year. The ones I've grown for years almost always die completely and have to be pruned to the ground. They sprout from the roots (but not until at least after Mother's Day), and regularly grow into the top of my 8-foot decorative windmill and have to be pruned back. Don't be discouraged - just give them some time before you give up on them!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County