Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting started, Time to plant?

Posted by robertcrow (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 5, 06 at 9:44

Hello Friends, I was curious when you usually get started on your garden. The tilling & soil prep, then the planting. I'm new to gardening & enjoy it. Last year I started my 1rst lil' garden and I think I was off to a late start. It was summer when I started,didn't know how to prep, but hey I had a great supply of pole beans.
Was wondering when you get started and any other tips you feel like sharing I appreciate it.
Thanx,
Robert Crow

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting started, Time to plant?

We start gardening in the fall. Since our gardens are large and many we plow them with a tractor. Many people use no till(& no plow) methods. For us, the first warm dry spring day we till the areas to be planted first, you know lettuce, radish, spinach, peas and etc. areas.

I start tomatoe and pepper seeds indoors to be transplanted outside mid May. Cabbage, brocoli and cauliflower can be started the end of this month for transplanting outdoors in April.

As you found out beans can be planted almost anytime -after last spring frost date- that gives them time to mature before the firsts fall frost. Check the maturity date on the seed packets if in doubt.

Now would be a good time to decide what you want to plant, purchase the seeds and then get out your calendar. Mark when to plant them according to the amount of cold they can take and maturity dates. I also try to work around not having anything mature duriing our vacation. The weather always has the last say of when seeds get planted :)

Most importantly, have fun!
SOS

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here