Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjc1989

Tomatos and Peppers ...

sjc1989
20 years ago

When do you folks seed your peppers and tomatos? What varities are you trying this year?

Steve Cox

Holland, Iowa

Comments (8)

• BelgianRose
    20 years ago

I heard a gardening program on public radio with a person from ISU. He recommended mid- to late-March.

I do it when I get around to it! LOL

Trish

• ladylavender
    20 years ago

I start most things March 15th. Trying Juliett tomatoes this year instead of the grapes.
    mary

• iowa_jade
    20 years ago

I usually buy the plants, but after checking out the forum on tomatoes & some help from our friends on this forum, I am going to try the seed bit again.

I have some seed for Green Zebra & Waspi Peach. I usually grow about 4 main line plants. This year I will try Park's Beefy Boy Hybrid. The rest of the hierloom tomatoes I will buy from our local nursery. I love Caspian Pink-meaty & tasty. Black Krim or Cherokee Purple are very tasty although look funny. Aunt Ruby's Green is a great variety-tangy. Pineapple and German Striped are well worth growing.

I am going to look for some Sun Gold and some other cherry tomatoes for the kids crossing our yard to keep their energy up.

This last year I grew the tomatoes in Rebar cages, and the plants seemed to appreciate the support. This year I will try (WOW)Wall of Water as I got some "On Sale" the end of last year.

It is fun to share tomatoes with co-workers & neighbours.

Cheers!

Jade

• Miss EFF
    20 years ago

I plant an heirloom variety of tomatoes called "Amana Orange". Very orange -- makes a very orange tomato sauce.

I got the seeds for Cook's.

Cathy

• paul_f
    20 years ago

I will start most of my seeds in mid March. It is hard to not start earlier, but if I force myself.....

This year's varieties:
    Lillian's Yellow
    Brandywine(Off the Vine variety)
    Lucky Cross
    Aunt Ruby's German Green
    Crnkovic Yugoslavian
    Mariannas Peace
    Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red
    Great White
    Zogola
    Neves Azorian Red

Peppers: Cuneo and Giant Arconcagua
    I don't have much space, but I will try to fit them all in--I think I will not grow potatoes this year to make room for more tomatoes.

• Jean_Joyce5
    20 years ago

I like to plant a few very early tomatoes and they are about 6 inches tall now, ready to transplant in larger pots. They are "Early Girl" and one year I had tomatoes on Memorial Day, but that was the exception. I have 3 small greenhouses about 5' x 3' and tomatoes are supposed to withstand 20 degree weather in them if you put a few gallon jugs of hot weather alongside the tomatoes and cover the greenhouses with old blankets. I have used them sometimes but it takes a lot of maintenance as it gets so hot inside of them and the plants cook if I don't come home at noon and lift the lids.
    Jean

• Berryman
    20 years ago

I Am doing Caribean HOT HOT HOT peppers...belive it or not the Hotter the hardier the plant seems to be. Habenaro do great too.

• BelgianRose
    20 years ago

Cathy, I've done 'Amana Orange' the last two years. The taste and the look are unbeatable. Howerver, I seem to get a lot of foliage and fewer tomatoes than if I grew a modern hybrid.

What I need is a farm on which to grow everthing!

Trish