Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant Markers

Posted by sanfan z4 Ia (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 5, 05 at 12:30

Well, I need some sound advice. I finally broke down and bought some of the 11' metal plant markers. I bought them at Ebay. With shipping it came to $39 for 100. I don't know if that's a good price or not. I need at least 300 more. Anyway, I don't know what type of pen to use when I put them to use. I had someone tell me they just use a permanent marker, but she had to redo a lot of them in the spring. I really want to avoid that. I do have a good Brothers Label maker. I thought maybe that would work. I really would like to know what works for my fellow gardeners. And if you have a good place you buy the markers. Thanks, Sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant Markers

Hi Sandy. If your Brother uses TZ tape (which is laminated) it will be permanent on your plant markers. If you use the colored, the colors will fade but the print doesn't fade. If you just want to write on them, #2 pencil is more permanent than ink, but even that fades eventually. The best thing in my experience has been the TZ tape in my brother and after three years outside, they still look like new.

o

Sandy, I think your are better off to order directly from the company when buying metal plant markers. Attached is a link to the company I buy my markers from.

Regarding what to use on them, I agree with Iowagal. I also use a Brother P-Touch with the TZ tape and so far so good. I've also dumped the names of the stuff I want to mark into Word and printed them off a laser jet printer on to clear lables and those seem to work just fine, too. Don't use an ink jet printer, the ink will run in the rain.

Diann
IA Z5a

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Markers

o

You could try a grease pencil, china marker or a Rub-A-Dub Sharpee (laundry marker). I had the same problem and found that a pencil does last longer. I'm going to try all of the above this year and see which works best.

I'll bet Ironbelly can tell you what to use. He's probably tried everything already.

Cricket

o

Thanks for the web sight TinkerToo! I'm ordering 1000. I'll split with some of the gals in my Garden Club. Iowagal, I'm so glad you let me in on the printer. I was going to give that idea up all together. And last but not least unicricket. This is great info to pass on to my other garden friends here at home. I just hate the idea of repeating tags. I've tried the plastic markers and they didn't hold up at all. I always admire gardens that are so well marked.
And by the way I'll be looking for Iowa forum folks at the Winter Garden Fair. I hope they have name tags. If so I plan on adding Iowa Forum on mine. If they don't I might make a tag.
Thanks everyone! Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here