Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dagnee

What to plant under a large Spruce?

dagnee
19 years ago

We recently moved into a new home and I'm looking for planting ideas for a large space under a Spruce tree. It's a huge one (40-50 ft tall) and the ground space under has a 10 foot circumference. The lowest branches are well above the ground by 10 feet or so. Currently there's nothing growing just a carpet of needles. I've heard the ground may be acid and not much will grow. I'd like to border the area with recessed brick and create some kind of "garden". Any suggestions? I was thinking of a green ground cover with something like Liriope or ferns and Lily of the Valley throughout. Any ideas? Do you think they will grow?

Comments (10)

• trudy_gw
    19 years ago

Hostas would grow very well. If you are new to hostas, check out the Hosta Forum. It is a great addiction.

• dagnee
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Trudy,
    I had quite a few Hosta's at my previous home. I'll check out the Hosta forum as you suggested.

• michelle_zone4
    19 years ago

Depending on how much sun it gets, I have found that you can grow most anything. This picture doesn't show it very well, but this bed encompasses two spruces. One is trimmed up and the other isn't. You do have to be careful of the roots as they are shallow.

• Maude_IA
    19 years ago

My 2¢ worth ~

I have a pine tree between two driveways - ours and the neighbors - total width may be about 20 feet. We trimmed the lower branches of the pine just a few years ago because the tree was brushing the car as we backed out. The carpet of needles was thick and spongy all the way out to the drip line.

I've put a few crocus bulbs at the edge of the needles on the sunny side, but left the rest untouched. I have to weed the needle area about once every two years, and then just a little. It's serene, unusual, and almost completely care-free (more time to spend in the other parts of the garden.)

Listen to your Mother (Earth) - she knows how it's s'pozed to be.

• dagnee
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for all the input.
    I particularly liked the comment:
    "Listen to your Mother (Earth) - she knows how it's s'pozed to be."

We've decided to take a minimalistic approach as far as planting. I'm orinially from New England have spent many a year foraging and exploring the evergreen forests. I may ( key word MAY) attempt a fern or perhaps a few wood sorrels around the perimeter..... It's also been suggested that a wrap around settee constructed of natural material like willow might create a lovely place to relax.....

either way....
    Thanks you all....Ironbelly ...a bit of food for thought I did find in your post....I may after all just let it be....

{{gwi:1001101}}

{{gwi:1001102}}

I'll have a great time this summer with this area.....
    {{gwi:1001103}}

• sanfan
    19 years ago

My goodness what a big tree! Your scenery most be beautiful! I take it your in the country?

• dagnee
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Believe it or not just south of Des Moines. We are the very last house on the outskirts of town...actually in the County. We actually had deer running through the back this fall.

I do love the trees. There are some majestic ones. I had never seen a Spruce that large...especially on a front lawn. I miss the woodlands though ( being from New England) but have grown fond of the midwest countryside during the summer.....

Lately, It seems as though everyone is always cutting down the trees around here.... sigh....

I'm looking forward to the Spring to see what blooms everywhere.....

• kosterbelle
    7 years ago

I live just south of Seattle, WA and previous owners planted their Christmas Spruce tree 30 years ago and it is now at least 40 feet higher if not more. I surrounded the base with bricks about a foot away from trunk and filled in with potting soil and some bulbs, small hostas, and Creeping Jenny that drapes over bricks, but doesn't grow as well the rest of my Creeping Jenny (my favorite ever! Perennial, spreads fast and when I need more I just dig up what I've got and replant somewhere else.) I've always had same dilemma about what to do with the area of rich brown needles and such but after reading Ironbelly1's comments I'm going to take his advice and just rake a little into a free form "design" that follows the natural shady area created over the years. I just cleaned up a bunch of long branches and yard waste that I was lazily tossing there till I could cut it up for recycling and I now see how lovely the soil, color and richness that already exists.

• David Weum
    5 years ago

I have huge spruce trees in my large backyard. I was told Lillies of the Field or Lillies of the Mountain grow under spruce trees, but never planted any. They are small (2-3 inches) with white petals.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH