Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best meaty tomato to plant in Iowa

Posted by mickimax Zone 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 06 at 17:12

I thought I would ask fellow Iowans what the best tasting tomato is. This will be my first year planting tomatoes. I live in Southwestern Iowa. I want a tomato like Grandma used to plant, that you can slice and eat right from the plate, or tastes great alone in a sandwich. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best meaty tomato to plant in Iowa

I start my tomatos in the house by seed. I plant lots and lots of tomatos! My favorites are: Burpee's Burger hybrid,Celebrity hybrid,Burpee's Big Boy hybrid,Delicious,
Better boy,Super Beefsteak,Italian Beefsteak and Super Sioux. These are the best of the best. (In my book anyway)

o

Whatcheer, I'm coming to your house when those tomatoes are ripe! I'll bring the rest of the fixing for BLT's!!! :)

Diann
IA Z5a

o

WE LOVE BLT's!!! Your more than welcome to visit.
I can quite a few tomatos. I give a lot of them away also. I found that there are a lot of low income retirement apartments in our area. The seniors love fresh produce. I take veggies there about once a week during harvest season.
The Food Bank also takes them.

o

Whatcheer, you know, taking excess garden stuff to the low income retirement apartments is an excellent idea!! I'm going to have to do that this year. :)

Diann

o

I ordered Kelloggs breakfast tomato just ordered it today. I heard on WHO sun that it is a very good tomato. Its an heirloom beefsteak tomato. Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here