Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
slow germination

Posted by JeannieZ5 z5IA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 15, 05 at 22:19

Is anyone else having trouble getting seeds started this year? I had good luck last year but this year even if they come up they are so slow and lack vigor. I've tried everything and the wave petunias as so expensive to lose them. Think I'll buy a bunch of the 10 for $1 seeds and see what they will do.
Jeannie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: slow germination

Hmmmmmmm, you might try winter sowing. I winter sow and have great luck with it.

Diann
IA Z5a

o

So far I've only started alpine strawberries. They came up fine.....then dried out and even a late watering wouldn't bring them back lol. I won't be starting any of my other seeds until March. Even the winter sowing works better (for me) started in March.
Do you use a heat mat or other warm spot to start them? The warm top of an old upright deep freeze is my favorite starting place. Another handy item is a single flourescent(sp?) bulb to set on top of those needing light to germinate. Just don't forget o water them ;)

o

I've put out a lot of jugs for winter sowing. Real anixious to see how they do. I do have hollyhocks up in the house,after a week. It hasn't been long enough for the others. Will start tomatoes in a few weeks. I'll report as I see sprouts.

o

Thanks for the responses. I think I have found the problem. I used Jerry Baker's method for seed starting and he says to use 2 T of Epsom Salts to each quart of soil. I think my Epsom Salts had some real salt mixed in with them because I tried some without the Epsom Salts and they came up just fine in 3 days. Never again will I use his method for starting seeds.
Now to reorder all the wave petunias and hope they get here in time to replant.
Jeannine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here