Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tam88_gw

A Question To Drive You Crazy!!

tam88
19 years ago

Okay! I know, I know! when people ask these questions people roll their eyes and say a few choice words!! But I am going to do it anyway:) Here it is (drumroll please!) If you could plant only one clematis which one would it be and why?

I have a fence that probably should be torn out but me being me I am going to plant!! I think that a mass planting would be cool. So let me have it

Hope everyone is doing well!

Comments (7)

• diannp
    19 years ago

Wow, that's a really hard question. There are so many wonderful clematis available. I guess it would depend on where the fence was, what was planted near it, and what kind of sun it got. I have Dutches of Edinburgh (sp) on a spit rail fence in partial shade. The Dutches really sparks things up there. I have General Sikorski enter twined with a pink shrub rose and it seems to be happy. I have Polish Spirit climbing on a trellis next to the garage/garden shed, and it's doing well. I guess you just have to figure out what color, type, and size suit your spot the best. :) Not much help, am I? :)

Diann
    IA Z5a

• ironbelly1
    19 years ago

Sorry, Tam. I think your question is indicative of one of the common mindsets that actually do drive most of us crazy. We have been led to believe that if only we will buy this or that particular plant, our gardens will be beautiful. Sadly, we find that instead of the hoped for satisfaction, something is still missing.

A much better question is how to best stage, compliment and display the assets of (in this case) clematis. As with life in general, it is not so important what you have as it is what you do with what you have. A plain old Jackmanii clematis that is well-displayed can far surpass the landscaping impact made by more expensive ones that are planted nilly-willy.

Now you can go crazy asking yourself how you can improve the way you display your plants. ;-)

IronBelly

• javern
    19 years ago

non vining Clematis scottii planted at the posts of the fence, too many folks have things climbing along the rails thus hiding the natural weathered wood.

• Iowagal
    19 years ago

My vote goes to sweet autumn clematis, my favorite, hands down. If your fence really needs covering, cover it. But the structure will have to be strong enough to hold this one, so if it's not just the looks you're covering up, better to go with something else.

• uicricket
    19 years ago

Tangutica/sp? (small yellow bell flowers) and viorma (native leather flower). Both look particularly good in rustic settings and are my particular favorites. I'm also partial to sweet autumn. Guess I'm drawn to the smaller flowered varieties.

Cricket

• Maggie4
    19 years ago

sweet autumn, it also has a lovely fragrance in the fall. Color all season - no problem - if your fence is long enough why not different ones. You have a good idea with the mass. You can also incorporate a perennial sweetpea, blooms all yr too.

• sosusie
    19 years ago

I vote for the plain old Jackmanii that Ironbelly mentioned ... because I like purple :)
    SOS

Sponsored