Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blacklab_gw

Bickelhaupt Arboretum-Conifer Garden

blacklab
20 years ago

Anybody within reasonable driving distance to Clinton Iowa should go visit their gardens...

For those of you interested/or in my case obsessed with conifers, this is the place for you.

When things start growing and when crabapples are in bloom you all should head over to Bickelhaupt.

I have lots of photos of their conifer gardens...see link if interested...pages 4-7 on my gallery. ***feel free to browse some of my other garden photos***

http://www.msnusers.com/DaxsGardenandSuch/shoebox.msnw?Page=4

Blacklab

Comments (10)

• ironbelly1
    20 years ago

The Arboretum is what I consider somewhat of a hidden jewel of the Midwest. It has one of the finest collections of unusual, well-labeled, conifers in the country -- yet, few people are aware of it. My lovely wife and I make a point of stopping by the arboretum any time of the year we are going through the Clinton area. (Yes, even winter.) There is much to see and learn at Bickelhaupt. It is a place that I have learned to cherish.

IronBelly

• BelgianRose
    20 years ago

I agree Bickelhaupt is a great place to go.

Have you noticed that last in the last two seasons some of their conifers have died? We were there last Fall and were struck by how many were gone.

If any goes to Bickelhaupt, the trip puts them very close to Bald Eagle Nursery (which recently changed its name to something else) in Fulton, IL. Their collection of fully-grown grasses is a sight to behold. It would be a two-for-one road trip. LOL LOL

Trish
    Bettendorf

• jamlover
    20 years ago

Hey, after seeing your photos a friend and I were there Tuesday. What a sight!! Now I don't know where to start. Thanks

• jamlover
    20 years ago

Hey, a friend and I visited Clinton just this week. Bet it is truly beautiful in the summer. I was interested mainly in the conifer collection which was extensive!!!

For us, it was a 2 hour drive but well worth it. (course we're both gardening nuts) Know any of those???

• blacklab
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Glad you went jamlover.
    Also, am glad folks are enjoying my photos.

Wish I had that much property!
    I know what I'd do.

Lata,

Blacklab

• charlene_in_iowa
    19 years ago

I live in Clinton, so yes I grew up w/Bickelhaupts. My father befriended them years and years go, so we spent many a summer going through the Arboretum. I second the comment that you should visit them.
    Belgian Rose, yes the Bald Eagle Nursery is (was) just accross the river and the grasses they grow is simply amazing. They have sold, and for the life of me I can't remember their name.

• leftwood
    19 years ago

So, the last time I was down at the most wonderful Bickelhaupt(circa 1998), I went over to the nursery formerly known as Bald Eagle too. Hey, maybe the name is just a symbol? Anyway, the owner was selecting buffalo grass clones. Does anyone know whatever happened with that? Did he release any named ones?

Rick

P.S. For all you conifer lovers out there, the 2005 central region Conifer Society convention will be in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Woo Hoo!!

• dbrb1
    19 years ago

We were out to Bald Eagle Nursery this weekend. It is now under new owernship and is called Long's Nursery. Their specialty will still be the grasses. It was our first time visit and we can't wait to go back when the grasses are up and in full show.

Can someone tell me where in Clinton Arboretum is located? I'll be coming from Davenport.
    Thanks, Don

• rhoda_azalea
    19 years ago

Thank you for the update on the new name for the nursery. I wonder why they chose that name! It is neither imaginative nor descriptive of what their specialty is.

Rhoda

• Maude_IA
    19 years ago

Ah-hem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bickelhaupt Arboretum web site

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler