Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When can I plant cannas

Posted by Monarae z4 IOWA (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 26, 04 at 8:17

Hi!
I have received some really LARGE canna tubers!
When is it ok to plant these? Do I have to wait for
all danger of frost to be gone? Should I start them in pots indoors? I am going to plant them near the house on the south side, so they will be pretty protected and have full sun most of the time.

Thanks!

MonaRae

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When can I plant cannas

MonaRae,

Canna's are tropical (sub-tropical) plants, and yes, you should wait till the danger of frost has passed before you plant them outside if you're planting potted ones. When I really want a showy mass of canna I start them indoors. Do that if you have the room do it. :) If you're just going to plant the bare tubers, you are probably be safe doing that the first of May. When is your last frost date? Cannas love heat and moisture, so make sure you keep them well watered. Have fun!

Diann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here