Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Iowa places do you buy plants

Posted by Baumer z5 Ia (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 03 at 9:15

I posted this on Mid West. But like to find good places around my area to check out. Been buying plants for number of years at Peck's little pricey but good plants. Also small place in Marengo. She open for about 2 months -called Marge's. But heard place in Wellman has nice nursery????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Iowa places do you buy plants

If I am in town at the time I LOVE going to the Project GREEN yearly plant sale (at the Carver Hawkeye Arena) to get locally grown perennials. Unfortunately, I am often gone during this event. Mostly I shop at Iowa City Landscaping and Joyce's Greenhouse in North Liberty. (Don't like to admit this, but occassionally I pick up a few items from Hy-Vee &/or K-Mart.) Can't wait to get started...
~Louise in Iowa

o

I like Holub's Greenhouse in Oskaloosa. I'm a cheap scavenger/plant-saver shopper. I got lots of fall bulbs in mid January at 80% off (the warm weather let me plant them, thankfully). They take good care of their perennials and annuals all season long, so you can pick up nice late season plants really marked down. After Christmas they were giving away their beautiful healthy-every fancy type of pointsettia you can think of. They have really nice greenhouses that are so wonderful to walk through in the winter. Their plants have always been healthy and it's a family owned business that's been around for a long time.

o

Yes! Wellman has a nice greenhouse west of town on Hwy. 22 about 4 - 5 miles. Reha's - family owned and operated for years. Not a wide variety, but we still go every spring.

We also like Holub's in Oskaloosa, 406 S. 11th St., and stop by Pleasant Valley on Gilbert in Iowa City from time to time - sometimes just to walk through the greenhouses in winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pleasant Valley Garden Center

o

Once a year my neighbor and I road trip to Decorah so we can be inspired by their display gardens and spend lots of money. We usually fill the truck. Then we stop at every greenhouse and nursery we see on the way home. I like Suburban Landscape in Davenport and Iowa Landscape and Earl May in Iowa City. I even buy at chain store nurseries where I've rescued some pretty pittiful specimen's and bargained the prices down.

Cricket

o

I've rescued plants from wal-Mart. poor babies just jump in my cart. Some watering and tender words-bloom their heads off saying thanks. Culver's in Marion. I would love to have their pond and water-fall. would like to buy pickup load of their Very red wood mulch.

o

Maude-IA is right. How could I forget about the greenhouse at Pleasant Valley in Iowa City? I shop there too in addition to the other paces that I mentioned earlier. It is a nice place to visit during the cold of winter. ~Louise in Iowa

o

In my area-NW IA, I like to go to Ferguson's at the lakes.I was impressed with the great hosta and heuchera selection there. So many of them just jumped into my cart! Also Dells at Spencer is nice. I have also been known to 'rescue' some poor babies from Walmart, Pamida etc!

o

Be on the look out for a couple of annual events in CR with generally good selection, healthy plants, and reasonable prices - 1) the "Annual Perennial Sale " at Indian Creek Nature Preserve - usually 1st Sat. in May and 2) Brucemore Garden sale - either toward end of May or early June.

o

Chezging will mark that in my calender. I'm just south of CR.

o

I shop the Little Greenhouse in Webster City--they mainly have the common plants, Eddys in Fort Dodge usually has a good variety, last year I stopped @ a couple of places in DM and around there can't remember their names but do know where they are located! Odgen has a greenhouse along hwy 30 outside of town that I like for annuals. Holubs in Ames, and then in western IA. there is a great greenhouse between Smithland and Hornick. Also have stopped @ the one off hwy 20 between Lawton & Sioux City.

o

Thought of another one - in CR - Frontier Garden Center. Center is small, but stock is very good. Shrubs I purchased and planted last summer are hands down outperforming similar from mail order catalog. Staff seems very helpful, too.

Another one that has been highly recommended to me by many (and they had a booth at the Indian Creek Nature Center event in 2001) is the Cedar River Garden Center near Palo. Haven't been there yet - anyone else been?

o

There's a really nice nursery in the tiny town of Lucas (west of Chariton) called Ellis. Last year they had the most beautiful hanging baskets of flowers I had ever seen. People come from all over to shop there.
SOS

o

I'm from Waterloo, There's the Ionia perenninal farm.That's north of here. If you like Hostas, look up Dawn's Bloomers in Independence. Also I have bought some nice peonies in Centerville. They sell about any kind of peony you could think of. They also have lilac bushes. Not your average ones. They have over a hundred different ones.

o

I love the greenhouse on Lynn St.in Tipton, Ia.. A great variety of annuals & perennials at reasonable prices. I go there several times in the spring.

o

Hi, new to this forum, but I love going to Willow Glen up near Decorah. Seems like they have a lot of unusual plants. Also, I like Culvers in Marion, and Kroul's off Hwy 1 near Mt. Vernon, and of course there is Joyces near North Liberty. Also, I frequent a lot of home spring sales in Iowa City and along Hwy 1.

Diann

o

Surburban Landscape's retail store in Davenport has closed. The company will focus on the commercial landscape business in the future. Suburban did have a pretty good selection of plants.

o

• Posted by Pam_K 4b/5a IA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 1, 03 at 11:51

I also like to visit Kroul Farms south of Mount Vernon on Highway 1. They have very reasonable prices and carry a nice selection of hostas and other shade plants. I also must admit that I have been known to rescue a few plants from the Wal-Mart and Hy-Vee stores.

If anyone gets dates on Project Green, Indian Creek, or Brucemore sales, please post them, so that we can all be informed. Last year I saw a flyer for a sale at Kirkwood, but was unable to attend. I will post if I get a date on that one.

-Pam

o

here's a link for project green! look's like the fair is just around the corner....

Here is a link that might be useful: PROJECT GREEN

o

Thank-you LeslieL for that project Green link. Yippee, I will be in town that weekend! I can go this year! That news and the fact that today's temps are great makes this a very good day for me.:-) Hope everyone else is enjoying the day also.
~Louise in Iowa

o

Yutzy's Greenhouse at Decatur City is a wonderful place to buy plants. I hardly ever go there that I don't see cars from Indianola, Winterset, Des Moines, etc. Very reasonable plants and hardened off. They have tons of petunias outdoors now. Theirs will withstand temperatures to 20 degrees because they cover them on freezing nights with the covers people put on cement when they pour it and don't want it to freeze. Their plants are never tall and gangly, just a very good greenhouse.
JJ

o

Someone mentioned this earlier but there's a place in Palo that is really good. Was able to find plants there like Nicotiana Sylvestris. You really can't miss it, I think it's Cedar Valley Garden

o

Mary I am in NW IA also. Fergusons is my favorite. Maybe I'll run into you there or at Pamida in Sheldon sometime. Just look for the gal with a cart full.

o

I bought some fern Peony last year.I looked for about 3 years for some. They are all coming up great. The flier I got today say's they added 20 new ones to this years catolog.They have over 200 different kinds. They also have Lilac bushes. I think he said over 100 different ones. They get $10 a foot for the lilacs. The peonies depend on the type.

o

Sanfan, where did you get your peony from?? I think I missed something.

Diann

o

Don't remember the name of the place but it was out in the middle of nowhere on our way home from the mayo clinic south of Dechora real nice lady runs it she had all kinds of perinnials and water plants

o

whitewater, I'm sure you're talking about Willow Glen. One of my favorite places!!
Mary

o

There is a place in west central Davenport that grows its own vegetables; the selection is better than other places in town. It used to be called Linden Terrace, now GardenTown USA. It's on Diehn Avenue. Take Rockingham, to Fairmont, to Diehn. Worth a stop.

o

ok im interested where is willow glen??

o

Willow Glen Nursery, 3512 Lost Mile
Road, in rural (very rural) Decorah.
Mary

o

yep willow glen thats the place has everything you could ever need just wish it was closer to me

o

Hi, two more months and it's Spring. Anyone find any new nifty places to go plant hunting?? I'm getting an itch to go roadtripping for plants (as soon as it warms up, that is.;)

Diann

P.S. I think Ladylavendar mentioned a place in Hawkeye in another post..

o

yeah, it's a great place. Becky's in Doughtery Iowa is a great small town business also.
mary

Here is a link that might be useful: K&K Gardens in Hawkeye

o

I love Groth's Greenhouse and Gardens near Winterset. Not a big place, but always healthy plants that perform very well. Looking for a huge selections of herbs or unusual houseplants? Try Harvey Floral and Greenhouse in Adel.

o

This year making my list and checking it twice. Going to but just a few things like climbing roses from catalog. And few trumpet lilies from Dutch Garden. But other then that going to check out some of these Iowa Nurseries. I know Dh will all for it if I say have some nice fishing spots around.

o

Hi Gardening Friends;

Favorite places to buy plants:

Sunny Slopes Nursery
just west of Oskaloosa on hwy 163.
Wonder selection & very reasonably priced.

Holland Drive Gardens:
East of Pella just off hwy G28 Dutchman's Landing East:
one woman operated; Trudy Van Wyk
collector hostas, water plants, & some other plants

Wilson's Gardens south of Knoxville.
Wonderful place.
Owned & operated by Bob & Randy Wilson
hostas & tons of daylilies.

Dutch Meadows: in Pella

Dillon Plant Company
just off hwy 30 east of Marshalltown
Open by appt. only
hosta & dwarf conifers

Skycrest Gardens just north of Ames:
Tom & Marilyn Kenney;
open on weekends only.

Holubs in Ames

Country Landscapes / Ames

In the Country near Independence, Ia
Josh & Sue Spece
They have a website.

For really hard to find expensive collector's hostas:
Jim's Hostas, Dubuque, Ia.
He's on-line too.

Stark Gardens just south of Norwalk, Ia
wonderful hostas.

I argree Willow Glen is awesome & makes a wonderful "day or 2 trip". More than just the usual plants.

LaDon's Garden Eppworth, Ia
Ladonsgdns@aol.com
Really fun.

And last but not least:
Hosta Leaf Nursery near Colesburg, Ia.
Bob & Jule Hackbarth
hleafnursery@aol.com
Really nice family-run / hosta sales

o

Been kinda disappointed in catalog plants last few years. So got DH new fly rod. So I'm going to talk him into taking me to Willow Glen.Not going to buy A lot this year-say that every year. But my island beds kinda peters out in the fall. Needs some Mums and asters ,And some longer blooming plants. But can fish and look at some of the nurseries here in Iowa. At least if I buy them where they are grown in the coldddd. I know they can make it through the winter.

o

I like the Secret Garden, beautiful grounds, and family owned. They have a gift shop and have lots of dried flowers. most of the pernneial are field grown, they dig 'em up for ya.

The Secret Garden
10182 Danville Rd.
Danville, Iowa 52623
(319) 392-8288

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.the-secret-garden.net/

o

If your near Des Moines besure to check out the Farmers Market. It is on Sat. mornings. Closes at 11am so get there earily. We go atleast four times. Have bought many beautiful plants and anything else you could want.

o

Dawn's Bloomer's in Independence Iowa. Great perenial, good prices and plants I've never seen before. Also many many Hosta's.

o

Sanfan, where in Independence is Dawn's Bloomers??? I've been to a place called "Out in the Country" or something like that up near Independence, but not to Dawn's Bloomers. :) I feel a roadtrip coming on! ;)

Diann

o

Stam's Greenhouse just east of Oskaloosa on Highway 92 is
fairly new, but I purchased everything for my planters and pots from them last year, and had wonderful results! Loved all the found objects they planted and sold as pre-made planters last year, also.

o

For a good all-around general selection, I've found that Lowe's in Ames carries a great variety of plants, shrubs, bulbs, etc. that are usually quite healthy and reasonable in price. Go early for best selection. Their plants have been pinched at the proper times so they don't get as leggy. Last year I found Fiesta double impatiens that were beautiful and hard to find. The only other place I found them was HyVee, but they hadn't pinched theirs and they looked awful.

If I'm looking for specific cultivars, Country Landscapes in Ames has the most reliable stock, a no-hassle guarantee, and a great website complete with all their prices. They have great customer service, too. They are a bit pricey but if it means getting the plant you want vs. not finding it elsewhere, it's worth it. Especially during their fall half-price sale!

o

does any one know about a dennys in or near fairfield? ottumwa? southern iowa anyway, guess it has whole bunch diffrent greenhouses? i orderd some unusal cannas, need some different items.looking for places to get unusal. Dessa

o

Denny's is just out side of Weaver --between Burlington and Fort Madison. Tons of greenhouses. I have never been there but I heard that everything is sold by the flat.

Maybe someone else knows more -- he has a great reputation in the greenhouse world. And really quite the set-up.

Cathy

o

HELP, does anyone know is wildthings flower farm still in buisness, i cant find a listing and web site doesnt come up, went few yrs ago it was so neat? its near Farmington, Iowa

o

Here is a list of ISHS Retail Partners from the Iowa State Horticultural Society.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iowa State Horticultural Society

o
RE: Denny's Greenhouse

Here is Denny's Greenhouse, Ltd. Address.
1778 Lost Creek Road
Fort Madison, IA 52627
Phone Number:(319) 372-1020

o

thank you, jewels, now does anyone know in iowa i can buy a banna tree? i know southern states lowes has. thanks, Dessa

o

I live in Norwalk, Just 5 minutes south of Des Moines.
A farmer & former teacher of mine runs a greenhouse with his wifenear town. great selection, very reasonable prices & a large selection there. see:
http://www.bedwellgardens.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Bedwell gardens

o

a great place is in tipton, ia like iris said on lynn st,its got Lots of variety and very reasonable, and friendly help,dean and girls, will take time to awnser any ques. you have..

o

Anyone looking for plant sales?

Cedar Rapids area:

Saturday, May 1st, 9-12 Indian Creek Nature Center,
Saturday, May 15th, 8-10, Linn County Master Gardeners hosting in the County Extension office in Marion
Saturday, May 15th, 9-12 Brucemore Gardens

See anyone there??!!

o

I have been to Denny's nursery and Ty's, which is down the road from Denny's. Ty usually sells to wholesale places (and HyVee stores). Denny's does sell plants individually, but if you buy flats they are pretty inexpensive. I found some really unusual perennials there last year- at least I had never seen them before. They have great hanging baskets and the like, as well.

o

QC Mike, are these nurseries in the Quad Cities? If so, can you tell me where. Thanks, Don

o

Do any of you Quad-Citians ever cross the river to the Illinois side? Have you checked out Coal Valley Market out passed the airport on Route 6? We like to go there for the variety of annuals Mr Hignight has available.

o

has any one been to sunnyfields in galva Il?

o

Reaha's-Hwy 22 west of Wellman--Outdoor Expressions on Hwy 149 off I-80, Williamsburg he also orders me things I want.
Tama has a huge nursery. Everyone one else has mentioned the other places.
Debbie

o

What is the name of the daylily gardens north of Cedar Rapids, just outside of Urbana?? It's been driving me nuts that I can't remember it! I know, it's not a long drive. :*)

Diann
IA Z5a

o

I get my annuals, pernnenials and vegetables at Gingerich's Greenhouse near Drakesville in Southeast Iowa. They have the best; better than any of the other greenhouses and stores around. And cheap, you get bargains!! Everything is lush and beautiful.

o

Wow, I love this forum! Lots of great ideas! So I'll share mine too. I often go to Tipton Greenhouse as I live about 15 minutes from there. Their plants are always beautiful and well maintained. From now on, this is the ONLY place I will purchase my pond plants. I purchased a water lily, very nice large leaves for 15.00. Cheapest in CR was 24.99 for smaller leaved same plant. The Hyacinth and Water lettuce etc were about the same price, but looked MUCH better.

Another place is in Mount Vernon though I can't think of the name. It's on Highway 1. She always has good deals. In the fall her clematis are $5.00 and she has great end of spring sales on basics like heliotrope, zinnia, petunia, impatiens, cosmos etc. I got a whole basket load for like 8.00. When I think of the name, I'll repost :)

o

MsStFrancis2U, do you mean Krouls? or the Blooming Acres?

Diann
IA Z5a

o

Anyone ever experiance Heirloom Gardens west of Des Moines on Grand near Bloomfield. Just Wonderful!

o

JohnSue28, My nephew's wife goes there a lot when she goes home to visit her folks in Des Moines. I've been wanting to make it down there, just haven't had the time to do so yet. I understand that it is a really neat place.

Diann
IA z5a

o

Ticker, Kroul's that's it! Never been to blooming acres though I want to. I just have to avoid going into a greenhouse when I don't need plants... :) Blooming acres good too?

o

Yeah, Blooming Acres has some nice stuff. Lots of the basic stuff, but a few intersting things too.... It's definately worth a look-see.;) It can be a bit pricy, but not any worse than Pecks, Culvers, IC Landscaping, etc.

Diann
IA Z5a

o

What a great list of places to shop!
You can also find fern peonys for sale at www.fernleafpeony.com
In Eastern Iowa, you can buy great plants from the Friends of Vander Veer sales in Davenport, Ia. They are usually annouced in the QC Times. There are several thoughout the year.
Happy gardening.

o

I think Blooming Acres is having a holiday open house this weekend. I'll check at home tonight and if it's not this weekend I'll let you know.

Diann
IA Z5a

o

so msstfrancis, you sound like you live near me, im near snaggy ridge orchard.The Tipton greenhouse is great for info to, Dean is very good about helping.im not ready for winter so im planning a new area already for spring, ive got my list of new cannas to order ive 14 v now. i loved the karchesky site.any one know a good place to get diff varieties of Iris, i think a n iris bed sounds like my next yrs project altough i got few ut this fall.

o

Well post this again so new comers can see some very good places to get theirPlants. Was rumor going around that Mrge's in Marengo was closing. But Got 3 blanket flowers from her yesterday. And I had some room would buy many more

o

the fleet farm store in mason city... i thought i'd died and went to heaven, the plants are affordable and healthy. they are very helpfull, they even provide you with little carts to pull.. lets see i bought about 60 dollars worth of .99 cent plants

o

A new greenhouse opened in Williamsburg/Millersburg. Called Power & Power Greenhouse. It is located on F-52 Trail. First year of business, and things are off to a great start.

o

I'm going to be over by Millerburg Thursday. I heard they had nice plants. Was at Peck's again Sat to get spray they say will kill Creeping Charlie with one spray. But They have breath taking plants. Got few container plants.

o

Koszta, what spray would that be? :)

Diann
IA Z5a

o

I live in Southeast Iowa, and I go to The Secret Garden, Denny's Greenhouse in Ft Madison, Zaiser's nursery, Lowe's.

o

Hi all I live in southwest iowa just found this site is there any interesting places over here thanks for any ideas

o

My MIL is in Ottumwa and she heads over to the Amish community and just brings home the best plants! I was at Wallace's in Bettendorf and the plants are nice there too. I didn't find what I was looking for though, and that is fragrants, especially honeysuckle.

o

Charlene, if the Quad Cities is an easy trip for you, you might try Teske's or Meyer's both in Moline (but at different ends of the city). Meyer's is a landscaping company that does retail sales as well--wonderful to just walk around and look at things. Teske's has lots of perennials. I haven't been over to Garden Town for several years, but it's another place to look in this area.

o

For Hosta's we go to Hillcrest Hosta's and More outside of Donnellson.
Paws

o

I'd like to add that Thistle Down Nursery at Lake View has quite a nice selection at very reasonable prices. I got a large, healthy mandevilla there on sale for $10, then saw the same mandevilla at the same size priced at Lowe's for $30 the following weekend. They are now carrying tree peonies, too.

Their website, unfortunately, doesn't have the detail one might want but their stock is worth the trip.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thistle Down Nursery

o

TickerToo and others,

Is that place outside Urbana called My Savanna ?

If you like ornamental grasses and hostas...check out Weiss's Country Bloomers....south of Vinton a few miles on highway 218.

o

Srictus, that would be it, My Savanna. I think she was or is a daylily society display garden. I haven't made it up there as of yet. :) Maybe next year. Might just have to check out Weiss's country bloomers at the same time. ;)

Diann

o

I am a big Costco shopper. I was there the other day and they are starting to get their plants in. They are great, hanging baskets for $15. Trees too. They are in West Des Moines give them a try.

o

I mainly shop at Wal-Mart because i'm forced to (financial reasons) lol. I also like to got to earl may, iowa city landscaping, and pleasant valley. I usually help out at pleasant valley. Their greenhouse is awesome, all the orchids!!

o

It's fun to revive this old thread, and to see that many of the links from a few years back still work!

Anyway, for us central Iowans, I wanted to add the Flying Frog Hosta Farm to the list. They go to the Downtown Farmers market, but it's a fun way to spend a day out to go to the farm itself, especially on a Sunday if you can manage it. The farm backs up to Somerset Winery, so if you're lucky, you can kick off your shoes and wander through the gorgeous garden with music wafting around you from the Winery. It's a near perfect way to spend a summer day. AND they have some really excellent hosta!

Sara

o

Hard to believe this post still going.And I even had name change when I posted it. But have gotten some very nice plants at small nursery in Belle Plaine Harris Nursery

o

I love to shop at Garden Town USA in Davenport, Iowa. More perennials and hostas I've ever seen! Great prices too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Town USA

o

Does anyone have the email address for Willowglen in Decorah? I bought a plant from them at the Tri-sate convention in Cedar Rapids and want to find out the name of it from Linsay or Lea. He took my email address so he was suppose to sent the name to me but he must have lost mine.OR>>>>>>>>>>it went through the wash.

o

• Posted by mellen 4a/5-ctrl. IA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 31, 06 at 15:48

I love that place! Here is their e-mail addy:

http://willowglennursery.com/

Mellen-central Iowa

o

Another vote for Willow Glen in Decorah, but I couldn't find their email. Not only do they have the best perenial selection I've seen, but they have a very good assortment of pond and bog plants also.

Walt in Cedar Falls

o

OK, found Willow Glen's web site: www.willowglennursery.com

o

Last year was my first in Iowa and I bought my plants at Lowe's and Earl May. Now I hear from friends that Holub's in Ames is the place to go. I haven't been there yet.

o

Can I get directions or an address for Hillcrest Hostas in Donnellson?

Please??????

o

Hillcrest in Donnellson was adversting a 50% off sale this weekend but I didn't write down their address. Would like to go so I'm wondering if anyone has it?

Thanks,
Shelly

o

I found the address for Hillcrest Hostas and more 2292 Hillcrest Rd Donnellson Iowa 5 miles west of Ft. Madison on Hwy 2 for anyone else that was wanting it..

Shelly

o

There's a newly opening place over here in Western Iowa called "Garden Concepts" owned by Tamm
Merriman.
It's located on the Northeast edge of a liitle picturesque town called Manning, on Railroad Avenue..for directions call 712.292.9720.
While here, stop at the German Haus barn and visit the country church on the hill near the Haus barn.

o

Been long time since I posted this. Even had user name change..Got list of places I would like to go to. 1st on list is Day lily farm North of Cedar Rapids. Forgot name. Went to here day lily talk at Kirkwood.100's pf plants.I don't need a lot.Use to trade many years ago.

o

Bringing up an old topic: does anybody know if Steve and Carolyn Bertrand still are active with Perennial Farm near Ionia? In its glory years, that was quite a place for plant freaks. But we were there a couple of years ago, and at that time there were just a few interesting plants in the greenhouse, and Steve had been having some serious health problems and apparently was mainly just wholesaling seed from their garden. This spring I left a voicemail asking if they were still open and never heard back. Guess more than anything I'm worried about them (him). I have always had a soft spot for characters...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here