Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baumer_gw

What Iowa places do you buy plants

Baumer
21 years ago

I posted this on Mid West. But like to find good places around my area to check out. Been buying plants for number of years at Peck's little pricey but good plants. Also small place in Marengo. She open for about 2 months -called Marge's. But heard place in Wellman has nice nursery????

Comments (98)

• bradiniowa
    19 years ago

I live in Norwalk, Just 5 minutes south of Des Moines.
    A farmer & former teacher of mine runs a greenhouse with his wifenear town. great selection, very reasonable prices & a large selection there. see:
    http://www.bedwellgardens.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Bedwell gardens

• iowgardenangel
    19 years ago

a great place is in tipton, ia like iris said on lynn st,its got Lots of variety and very reasonable, and friendly help,dean and girls, will take time to awnser any ques. you have..

• chezging
    19 years ago

Anyone looking for plant sales?

Cedar Rapids area:

Saturday, May 1st, 9-12 Indian Creek Nature Center,
    Saturday, May 15th, 8-10, Linn County Master Gardeners hosting in the County Extension office in Marion
    Saturday, May 15th, 9-12 Brucemore Gardens

See anyone there??!!

• qcmike30
    19 years ago

I have been to Denny's nursery and Ty's, which is down the road from Denny's. Ty usually sells to wholesale places (and HyVee stores). Denny's does sell plants individually, but if you buy flats they are pretty inexpensive. I found some really unusual perennials there last year- at least I had never seen them before. They have great hanging baskets and the like, as well.

• dbrb1
    19 years ago

QC Mike, are these nurseries in the Quad Cities? If so, can you tell me where. Thanks, Don

• jeannej
    19 years ago

Do any of you Quad-Citians ever cross the river to the Illinois side? Have you checked out Coal Valley Market out passed the airport on Route 6? We like to go there for the variety of annuals Mr Hignight has available.

• iowgardenangel
    19 years ago

has any one been to sunnyfields in galva Il?

• damrn01
    19 years ago

Reaha's-Hwy 22 west of Wellman--Outdoor Expressions on Hwy 149 off I-80, Williamsburg he also orders me things I want.
    Tama has a huge nursery. Everyone one else has mentioned the other places.
    Debbie

• diannp
    19 years ago

What is the name of the daylily gardens north of Cedar Rapids, just outside of Urbana?? It's been driving me nuts that I can't remember it! I know, it's not a long drive. :*)

Diann
    IA Z5a

• sunflower_ia
    19 years ago

I get my annuals, pernnenials and vegetables at Gingerich's Greenhouse near Drakesville in Southeast Iowa. They have the best; better than any of the other greenhouses and stores around. And cheap, you get bargains!! Everything is lush and beautiful.

• MsStFrancis2U
    19 years ago

Wow, I love this forum! Lots of great ideas! So I'll share mine too. I often go to Tipton Greenhouse as I live about 15 minutes from there. Their plants are always beautiful and well maintained. From now on, this is the ONLY place I will purchase my pond plants. I purchased a water lily, very nice large leaves for 15.00. Cheapest in CR was 24.99 for smaller leaved same plant. The Hyacinth and Water lettuce etc were about the same price, but looked MUCH better.

Another place is in Mount Vernon though I can't think of the name. It's on Highway 1. She always has good deals. In the fall her clematis are $5.00 and she has great end of spring sales on basics like heliotrope, zinnia, petunia, impatiens, cosmos etc. I got a whole basket load for like 8.00. When I think of the name, I'll repost :)

• diannp
    19 years ago

MsStFrancis2U, do you mean Krouls? or the Blooming Acres?

Diann
    IA Z5a

• JOHNSUE28
    19 years ago

Anyone ever experiance Heirloom Gardens west of Des Moines on Grand near Bloomfield. Just Wonderful!

• diannp
    19 years ago

JohnSue28, My nephew's wife goes there a lot when she goes home to visit her folks in Des Moines. I've been wanting to make it down there, just haven't had the time to do so yet. I understand that it is a really neat place.

Diann
    IA z5a

• MsStFrancis2U
    19 years ago

Ticker, Kroul's that's it! Never been to blooming acres though I want to. I just have to avoid going into a greenhouse when I don't need plants... :) Blooming acres good too?

• diannp
    19 years ago

Yeah, Blooming Acres has some nice stuff. Lots of the basic stuff, but a few intersting things too.... It's definately worth a look-see.;) It can be a bit pricy, but not any worse than Pecks, Culvers, IC Landscaping, etc.

Diann
    IA Z5a

• maxkoreen
    19 years ago

What a great list of places to shop!
    You can also find fern peonys for sale at www.fernleafpeony.com
    In Eastern Iowa, you can buy great plants from the Friends of Vander Veer sales in Davenport, Ia. They are usually annouced in the QC Times. There are several thoughout the year.
    Happy gardening.

• diannp
    19 years ago

I think Blooming Acres is having a holiday open house this weekend. I'll check at home tonight and if it's not this weekend I'll let you know.

Diann
    IA Z5a

• iowgardenangel
    19 years ago

so msstfrancis, you sound like you live near me, im near snaggy ridge orchard.The Tipton greenhouse is great for info to, Dean is very good about helping.im not ready for winter so im planning a new area already for spring, ive got my list of new cannas to order ive 14 v now. i loved the karchesky site.any one know a good place to get diff varieties of Iris, i think a n iris bed sounds like my next yrs project altough i got few ut this fall.

• koszta_kid
    18 years ago

Well post this again so new comers can see some very good places to get theirPlants. Was rumor going around that Mrge's in Marengo was closing. But Got 3 blanket flowers from her yesterday. And I had some room would buy many more

• jeanettegifford
    18 years ago

the fleet farm store in mason city... i thought i'd died and went to heaven, the plants are affordable and healthy. they are very helpfull, they even provide you with little carts to pull.. lets see i bought about 60 dollars worth of .99 cent plants

• grannyfern
    18 years ago

A new greenhouse opened in Williamsburg/Millersburg. Called Power & Power Greenhouse. It is located on F-52 Trail. First year of business, and things are off to a great start.

• koszta_kid
    18 years ago

I'm going to be over by Millerburg Thursday. I heard they had nice plants. Was at Peck's again Sat to get spray they say will kill Creeping Charlie with one spray. But They have breath taking plants. Got few container plants.

• diannp
    18 years ago

Koszta, what spray would that be? :)

Diann
    IA Z5a

• Iowafarmgirl
    18 years ago

I live in Southeast Iowa, and I go to The Secret Garden, Denny's Greenhouse in Ft Madison, Zaiser's nursery, Lowe's.

• alden51566
    18 years ago

Hi all I live in southwest iowa just found this site is there any interesting places over here thanks for any ideas

• charlene_in_iowa
    18 years ago

My MIL is in Ottumwa and she heads over to the Amish community and just brings home the best plants! I was at Wallace's in Bettendorf and the plants are nice there too. I didn't find what I was looking for though, and that is fragrants, especially honeysuckle.

• jeannej
    18 years ago

Charlene, if the Quad Cities is an easy trip for you, you might try Teske's or Meyer's both in Moline (but at different ends of the city). Meyer's is a landscaping company that does retail sales as well--wonderful to just walk around and look at things. Teske's has lots of perennials. I haven't been over to Garden Town for several years, but it's another place to look in this area.

• paws4pets
    18 years ago

For Hosta's we go to Hillcrest Hosta's and More outside of Donnellson.
    Paws

• marilou
    18 years ago

I'd like to add that Thistle Down Nursery at Lake View has quite a nice selection at very reasonable prices. I got a large, healthy mandevilla there on sale for $10, then saw the same mandevilla at the same size priced at Lowe's for $30 the following weekend. They are now carrying tree peonies, too.

Their website, unfortunately, doesn't have the detail one might want but their stock is worth the trip.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thistle Down Nursery

• strictus
    18 years ago

TickerToo and others,

Is that place outside Urbana called My Savanna ?

If you like ornamental grasses and hostas...check out Weiss's Country Bloomers....south of Vinton a few miles on highway 218.

• diannp
    18 years ago

Srictus, that would be it, My Savanna. I think she was or is a daylily society display garden. I haven't made it up there as of yet. :) Maybe next year. Might just have to check out Weiss's country bloomers at the same time. ;)

Diann

• rpalinsgirl
    17 years ago

I am a big Costco shopper. I was there the other day and they are starting to get their plants in. They are great, hanging baskets for $15. Trees too. They are in West Des Moines give them a try.

• joefsolon
    17 years ago

I mainly shop at Wal-Mart because i'm forced to (financial reasons) lol. I also like to got to earl may, iowa city landscaping, and pleasant valley. I usually help out at pleasant valley. Their greenhouse is awesome, all the orchids!!

• sasayra
    17 years ago

It's fun to revive this old thread, and to see that many of the links from a few years back still work!

Anyway, for us central Iowans, I wanted to add the Flying Frog Hosta Farm to the list. They go to the Downtown Farmers market, but it's a fun way to spend a day out to go to the farm itself, especially on a Sunday if you can manage it. The farm backs up to Somerset Winery, so if you're lucky, you can kick off your shoes and wander through the gorgeous garden with music wafting around you from the Winery. It's a near perfect way to spend a summer day. AND they have some really excellent hosta!

Sara

• koszta_kid
    17 years ago

Hard to believe this post still going.And I even had name change when I posted it. But have gotten some very nice plants at small nursery in Belle Plaine Harris Nursery

• hostalavista55
    17 years ago

I love to shop at Garden Town USA in Davenport, Iowa. More perennials and hostas I've ever seen! Great prices too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Town USA

• opalisc
    17 years ago

Does anyone have the email address for Willowglen in Decorah? I bought a plant from them at the Tri-sate convention in Cedar Rapids and want to find out the name of it from Linsay or Lea. He took my email address so he was suppose to sent the name to me but he must have lost mine.OR>>>>>>>>>>it went through the wash.

• mellen
    17 years ago

I love that place! Here is their e-mail addy:

http://willowglennursery.com/

Mellen-central Iowa

• waltiowabirder
    17 years ago

Another vote for Willow Glen in Decorah, but I couldn't find their email. Not only do they have the best perenial selection I've seen, but they have a very good assortment of pond and bog plants also.

Walt in Cedar Falls

• waltiowabirder
    17 years ago

OK, found Willow Glen's web site: www.willowglennursery.com

• linda_in_iowa
    16 years ago

Last year was my first in Iowa and I bought my plants at Lowe's and Earl May. Now I hear from friends that Holub's in Ames is the place to go. I haven't been there yet.

• Maude_IA
    16 years ago

Can I get directions or an address for Hillcrest Hostas in Donnellson?

Please??????

• chelielynn
    16 years ago

Hillcrest in Donnellson was adversting a 50% off sale this weekend but I didn't write down their address. Would like to go so I'm wondering if anyone has it?

Thanks,
    Shelly

• chelielynn
    16 years ago

I found the address for Hillcrest Hostas and more 2292 Hillcrest Rd Donnellson Iowa 5 miles west of Ft. Madison on Hwy 2 for anyone else that was wanting it..

Shelly

• koszta_kid
    10 years ago

Been long time since I posted this. Even had user name change..Got list of places I would like to go to. 1st on list is Day lily farm North of Cedar Rapids. Forgot name. Went to here day lily talk at Kirkwood.100's pf plants.I don't need a lot.Use to trade many years ago.

• hawki
    10 years ago

Bringing up an old topic: does anybody know if Steve and Carolyn Bertrand still are active with Perennial Farm near Ionia? In its glory years, that was quite a place for plant freaks. But we were there a couple of years ago, and at that time there were just a few interesting plants in the greenhouse, and Steve had been having some serious health problems and apparently was mainly just wholesaling seed from their garden. This spring I left a voicemail asking if they were still open and never heard back. Guess more than anything I'm worried about them (him). I have always had a soft spot for characters...

• growlove
    9 years ago

Most of these places are in Zone 5, are there any out there in Zone 4 near Sioux City or Sioux Falls? Do usually go to Menards and Lowes and often find some treasures there at decent prices. Mary

• sandrahoskins1
    9 years ago

I have gotten where I buy most of my hosta from Shady Ladys in Elk Run Heights Ia. And most of my bedding plants from the Amish greenhouses in Hazelton Ia.

Sponsored