Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ironbelly1

Muscatine Happenings

ironbelly1
20 years ago

On Saturday, March 20th, an all day symposium called "Art of Gardening" will take place from 9:00am -- 4:00pm. The cost is $30, which includes lunch -- not a bad deal. The symposium is a cooperative effort of Muscatine Community College, Iowa State Extension and the local Master Gardeners.

There will be four sessions with three speakers to chose from during each session. A general session will also be held from 12:30 to 1:00pm which will feature local TV garden expert, Craig Hignight.

Coincidentally, I will be lecturing during two of the sessions. My first topic (9:00am - 10:15am) will be "A Different Approach To Landscape Design" and "Rain Gardens" will be my second topic (1:15pm - 2:30pm).

If you come, be sure to say, "Hi".

IronBelly

Saturday, March 20, 2004

9:00am - 4:00pm

Muscatine Community College

Address: Strahan Hall

152 Colorado Street

Muscatine IA 52761

To register:

Call 563-288-6161 or (Toll Free) 1-800-351-4669

or

Email Cathy Dieters: cdeters@eicc.edu

Comments (3)

• diannp
    20 years ago

Oooh cool!!!! I may just have to come down... ;)

Diann

• HostasGalore
    20 years ago

IronBelly,
    Thanks for the heads up about this coming weekend..

• ironbelly1
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I just wanted to give an update on the "Art of Gardening" event last Saturday. I was really impressed with the job the folks in Muscatine County are doing. The facilities at Muscatine Community College are just excellent and easy to find. The event was well organized and the variety of topics offered covered a fairly wide spectrum.

This is the type of event that is becoming so popular throughout the state and true to form, attendance grows a little each year as the word spreads. This was the third year for the Muscatine folks and they tell me attendance has increased each year for them as well. There were about 80 people this year.

Included in the $30 fee was a light continental breakfast, a noon box lunch and drinks throughout the day. As one of the speakers, my job was made quite easy. When my wife and I arrived, we were warmly greeted and offered coffee, fruit, pastries and/or drink; as was everyone else. I was shown the theater-style classroom where I was to speak and the audiovisual equipment was superb. Even though I came prepared with my own laptop, all that I really needed was a CD with my PowerPoint program on it.

I had a chance to attend a couple of other classes on herbs with my lovely wife. Both speakers were quite knowledgeable and enthusiastic. You could tell that they each loved their topic and we, in turn, loved their classes. For some reason, my household has remained somewhat uninformed about the use of herbs. I believe we helped to fill that knowledge void after these classes. Although I was a little puzzled at the suggestion to tie-up a bundle of lavender with a pretty ribbon and place it in my underwear drawer, my wife seemed to understand. (Sorry -- I still don't get it ???) However, I certainly did understand the homemade lavender cookies our speaker handed out during the lecture.

My wife and I had a pleasant, educational Saturday. We got to see a few old friends and meet so many new ones. I highly recommend this event. My wife and I are looking forward to attending again next year.

IronBelly

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor