Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sady_ia

Hello from SE Iowa

Sady_IA
21 years ago

Hi, everyone!

I am *extremely* new to gardening (like, I plan to start this year...lol) and not exactly a green thumb, unfortunately, so was looking around for information when I found this site.

I am in SE Iowa (and I noticed very close to a couple of you...daylilygarden & gardenma). I live outside of Donnellson but grew up in Ft Madison and also used to work in Keokuk. Small world!

Angelfox....I also know where both Houghton and New London are. My husband works out of West Point and works in Houghton often.

It's nice to meet everyone and I look forward to learning a lot :)

~Sady

Comments (20)

• wolfie4
    21 years ago

Welcome Sadie, I'm from NW Iowa, but wanted to welcome you.

• lindakay
    21 years ago

Hi Sady
    I'm from Selma. Welcome to the Garden web. You will enjoy it here. Linda

• Vickie
    21 years ago

Welcome!! Once you start gardening, you'll never stop! The gardens just keep getting bigger and bigger! This is a great place to learn. I'm across the state in SW Iowa

• weaserbug
    21 years ago

Hi Sady, I live in Iowa City. My husband grew up in Fort Madison as you did. :)
    Welcome to the wonderful world of gardening. You'll be hooked on it in no time at all.
    ~Louise in Iowa

• mkhys223
    21 years ago

Hi there Sady.On the other side of the big mudpuddle in Oquawka,Il,about 7 miles upstream of Burlington.Doesn't matter if you have a green thumb or not,I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself on this site,I sure have!

Mike

• mkhys223
    21 years ago

Just got to thinking,hope you guy's don't mind if this Il guy posted on your forum.If so I'm sorry(but I am close!lol).

• lettsbets
    21 years ago

Mike, you are welcome any time. Oquawka is close enough. We'll make you an Iowa cousin or something.

Betsy

• twosiberians
    21 years ago

I also am new to gardening, though I come from a long line of amateurs.

We're moving to Coralville (next to Iowa City) in May from
    Virginia. Does that mean I get two springs?

My dad recommended Gardenweb when I started asking him about
    which tree to put in my new back yard. I'm glad to find you all!
    Cathryn

• Pam_K
    21 years ago

Sady,

Welcome! I've learned a lot from these forums (and by "trial and error" of course). Being in SE Iowa, you're close enough to join us for the Iowa swaps that are held here in East Central Iowa. I'll keep you posted.

Hi Cathryn,

I work in Coralville and live in Mount Vernon (a little NE). Welcome to Iowa, you'll really enjoy the midwest people. I'd love to show you my MODEST gardens sometime.

-Pam

• mkhys223
    21 years ago

Thats great!

Mike(tickled to death to be an Iowa cousin!)

• twosiberians
    21 years ago

Hi Pam-

Good to know beginners can suceed up there on the plains. A lot of my family is from Ohio and Indiana, so I already like midwesterners!

My biggest challenge- other than budget!) is going to be a pair of dogs who like to dig.

Cathryn

• iowgardenangel
    20 years ago

hi well im from tipton iowa which is close to mt vernon and Iowa city.I live in country and hav MANY flower beds ive got herbs pond plants cannas even kept a banna tree alive taking in in winter for 3 yrs now.its so much fun..

• Watauga
    20 years ago

I just wanted to say hi :) I also work in Coralville and live close (Kalona) (I have friends from Tipton and Mt Vernon though) I've been doing a lot of container gardening this year. Window boxes stocked to the brim with purple pansies, a whiskey barrel with a dwarf serbian spruce and some small daisyish looking mums (snowland), purple violas and alyssum (sp?) I'm also starting to work on a pond.

• OldGrimby
    20 years ago

Hello I grew up in Carroll, Iowa and we have raised gardens, canned and lived of the garden since I was a small child. Now i am teaching my grandchildren to grow veggies and flowers. They love it. This is Iowa and if you plant it it will grow..Welcome... and enjoy

• BelgianRose
    20 years ago

"If you plant it it will grow." Ain't that the truth!! That was one of the most shocking things about Iowa to me when I moved here. Just throw those seeds out, and Voila! plants!!! Iowa - a gardener's dream.

• Jiggybeagle
    20 years ago

Mike...I know where Oquawka is, I used to live in Little York, IL!!! Drove through O. several times getting moved over here to Osky area!!! Was born and bred in Iowa though, so I am glad to be back on the "right" side of the river!!!
    Shelly

• kcjjmm
    19 years ago

We moved from Iowa to California and then back to Burlington Iowa, We are happy to be back in the midwest and my vegetable garden is thriving this year.
    Does anyone know which ferns would grow best in a very shaded area in our back yard?
    Claire

• Baumer
    19 years ago

Claire Ostrich fern does great. Some people think it's invasive but had it here for over 30 years-stays put where I planted them. Connie-lee

• Iowagal
    19 years ago

Just want to say HI EVERYBODY from north central Iowa. I feel all alone up here with all you southerners!! Good to see some action on the Iowa Forum.

• iowan_tm
    19 years ago

It is great to see so many Iowa gardeners. I am also a brand new gardener. After living in New York for 5 years I have moved in with my parents in Iowa City and taken over their garden space. So far, so good, and I've already served them thinnings of greens and radishes, not to mention my own fresh herbs on everything. I hope to have more to share and learn from everyone soon.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio