Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spicensnail007

Need fast growing tree suggestions...

spicensnail007
20 years ago

I never knew Id have such a hard time trying to find the perfect tree for our backyard, but this is taking forever, and Im no closer to even having a final list to narrow down.

Id like a fast growing tree that isnt very tall in the end, I want it to be about equal to my ceiling of the first story/second story floor. (About the size of an apple/crab apple tree) So I can still look out. I dont want it to be dense that you cant see the rest of the yard, & I want spotted shade so plants can still grow on the patio, but we can be out there without sweltering in the sun. Pretty blooms or fall colors are a plus, but I dont want something that its roots are gonna pop up all over, or that is going to have a litter problem.

See why Im having all these problems? Any trees you might suggest? Id like it to grow fast, because we only plan on being here another 3-4 years, and Id like to get to enjoy the tree. And ofcourse it has to be strong for when the winter storms come or the spring winds, 45mph gusts last week!

So does anyone have any ideas/suggestions, or leads I can look into further? Or even expierence with trees to not even go with, warnings are good to. :)

Thanks

Comments (6)

• uicricket
    20 years ago

What about a service berry? It's about the size of a crabapple but the birds will eat the berries off long before they fall off. I don't have one of these trees myself but it's at the top of my wish list. I think it's also knows as an Ameliencher (spelling is wrong, I'm sure).

Cricket

• diannp
    20 years ago

We have several sevice berry tree/bushes out here on the campus I work on and they are just beautiful when they are in bloom..

Diann

• blacklab
    20 years ago

How about a genetically-engineered dwarf-**flowering** 'Austree'......Nah, that would be too easy.

This is the sort of question(s) that nurserymen/women dream about...

"YEAH I'd like a tree that grows rapidly to 30 feet and then stops growing...Can you suggest something?"....."Oh yah wait a minute, I forgot to mention that if possible I'd prefer it reach that height in 3-4 years."

answer: BUZZ...try again.

Sorry for my excellent taste in humor, (but sometimes it's just so tempting!!!)

p.s. there is no such thing as a genetically-engineered-flowering Austree...Hope some of you can recognize my 'no harm meant' style of comedy!

Blacklab

• blacklab
    20 years ago

Sounds to me like you could solve all your wants and needs by building a pergola over your patio and planting a quick-growing vine such as sweet autumn clematis or another tall growing vigorous climber...

This way you get a real nice addition to your existing patio (could build it yourself for cheap)......you get a vine (or multiple vines of different flowering colors/fall colors) that produces your desired flowers.....and you get it all immediately...

Lastly, I would suggest purchasing vines that are well established to get your desired effect...such as clematis in a 5 gallon bucket for example.

If you send me your email address I'll send you photos of what I've built...

Blacklab

• marilou
    20 years ago

Spicensnail007, woud you consider a selection that won't *exceed* the height you want in the next 3-4 years? After that you'll be gone and it won't matter if the tree grows taller! I'm guessing you might have more choices.

• spicensnail007
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, Ive thought about looking into one that wont exceed it in the next few years, while we are here. That might end up working better. Right now my husband is interested in a cherry blossom tree, he talked with a nursery person and right now it seems thats where his mind is. Though it wouldnt bear fruit til the time we are moving or getting ready to.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County