Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ramona5

Advice for a Newbie?

Ramona5
19 years ago

hello gardenwebbers,

i'm brand new to iowa and gardening. my husband and i just moved to iowa city from san francisco and now that my first (ever!) tulips are poking through, i think i'm hooked! do any of you have advice about good books that particularly pertain to iowa or the midwest that would be useful to someone who had to look up "annuals" and "perennials" in the dictionary?! thanks and glad to be here!

ramona

Comments (12)

• javern
    19 years ago

Welcome to Iowa ! go down to Prairie Lights book store and get a copy of Gardening In Iowa and Surrounding Areas by Veronica Lorson Fowler, there are many others. Also tune into WSUI every Friday at 9am for horticulture Friday, excellent program where folks call in and ask experts gardening questions. I'm sure others here will offer more ideas !

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Lights books

• garasaki
    19 years ago

I don't have any advice, other then read around here a lot, but I'd like to say you aren't alone!

I'm also a gardening n00b in Iowa, although I have lived here all my life. In particular, I find posts by "IronBelly" to be quite applicable and informative.

Javern, thanks for that link. I might check that out too.

• uicricket
    19 years ago

Check with Kirkwood Community College. They have adult education courses in the evenings in Iowa City and surrounding areas. Their gardening courses are great for beginners and I've taken many of them. Guy Gibson is a good instructor if you can get into one of his courses - teaches the technical without getting too far over a beginner's head and his courses repeat a couple of times a year. He usually arranges tours of private gardens or businesses with good landscaping.

If you have questions ask away. Somebody here always knows the answer. GardenWeb is a great resource!

Happy gardening!

Cricket

• Iowagal
    19 years ago

WELCOME!!! I may be biased but I think you're gonna like it here.

Can't recommend a better book but I would suggest to contact your county extension office. They have tons of info and resources for gardening in our area.

There are some good annual garden shows and open houses not far from Iowa City that usually get posted here when we find out about them. You can also learn a lot by going on any local garden tours put on by the garden clubs that you hear about in your area.

• ironbelly1
    19 years ago

Particularly if you are in Iowa City, you must attend the "Second Sunday Forums" sponsored locally by Project Green and the Iowa City Public Library. You just missed the one they held on March 13th but another one is coming up on April 10th at 2:00pm.

This upcoming lecture will be "Uses and Care of Clematis In Your Garden". These lectures held at the Iowa City Public Library are free and are consistently excellent. About 15 to 20 of us from the Quad Cities make a point of traveling to attend these lectures.

IronBelly

• diannp
    19 years ago

Ramona, do checkout the Second Sunday Forums as IB suggests, I do think you'll find them very interesting. I've been to a few, but alas, this year I haven't made a single one.

You will also want to check out Project Green's plant sale, I think it's in May. And I think there are several garden walks in the area that you might want to check out.

Anyway, Welcome to Iowa! and to Iowa City, you're going to love it here. :)

Diann
    IA Z5a

• garasaki
    19 years ago

Alright, this n00b could use some advice.

I will be ordering some stuff from Ion Exchange this spring. Should I get plugs or potted plants?

I understand what the difference is. Being a bit impatient, I'm leaning towards the pots. But saving over half the cost by going with plugs sure is tempting. Which option do you guys prefer?

• Nushka_IA
    19 years ago

While we're at it, I'm yet another newbie to Iowa (but not to gardening). What do you all think of Lauren Springer's book, _The Undaunted Garden_? I sort of think of her as the United States' Beth Chatto on drought tolerant gardening, but I don't know how relevant it is to Iowa, and whether I should just give up my penstemon fantasies...

• ironbelly1
    19 years ago

John,

Ion Exchange offers a choice of either small pots or plugs on many, but not all of their offerings. Of course, the little plugs may require a little more tender loving care (not much more) than larger plants but they seem to quickly establish and catch up. I have not found this a problem and personally prefer the plugs -- although I have no problem with someone feeling more comfortable with the larger pots. It is really a toss-up.

Nushka,

I really like both of Lauren Springer's books and enjoy her occasional articles. As with almost any book, you have to utilize what fits or doesn't fit your situation.

The only caveat I would offer is not to become obsessed with exactly duplicating some of her suggested plants -- many of them are great, underused plants but they are almost impossible to find. In her own right, she is pushing the envelope of plant selections because she has access to many offerings directly from major botanical gardens and other gurus. You and I probably don't have that luxury.

I have heard her lecture 3 or 4 times and always come away learning something. I had an opportunity to speak with her a few minutes before her lecture, last year in Iowa City. She seems just as down to earth in person as her books seem.

Hey. Some of your plants are going to die, regardless of what you do. Give your penstemons a shot!

IronBelly

• LeslieL
    19 years ago

Ramona,
    Welcome to Iowa City! Also known as the Athens of the Midwest, gotta love that! There are so many resources for gardeners around here, and I think that some great ones have been mentioned. I also suggest you attend our plant swap on June 4th. Even if you don't have anything to trade, it's a great way to meet other Iowa City (and farther reaches) gardeners. We also have a very generous group who will be willing to share our many extras to help a new gardener get started.
    Leslie

• soobee
    19 years ago

**I have heard her lecture 3 or 4 times and always come away learning something. I had an opportunity to speak with her a few minutes before her lecture, last year in Iowa City. She seems just as down to earth in person as her books seem. **

I've seen her garden in Windsor, CO--the one in Undaunted Garden--and love the book, too. I'm leaning more and more toward "undaunted" plants, and working away from my Anglophiobia, thanks to her. :-)

• tam88
    19 years ago

Ramona-
    Welcome to Iowa!! I think that you will find GardenWeb a VERY informative place. I know I have. It has rescued me countless times! My advice is read and don't be afraid to ask questions. You will find that most garderners are very willing to share their knowledge as demonstrated by the answers you receive to your questions on this forum. And above all HAVE FUN!!!!!

Tammie

Sponsored