Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Follow the sun

Posted by Maude_IA z5-SE Iowa (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 4, 05 at 18:30

Someone out there may recall a movie by that name, but what I mean is this -- report those first signs of spring as the warm air moves north.

Today was the first day for crocus among the stepping stones (fooled 'em!) in the garden east of the house. Just the early little yellow ones, but still, there they are!

OK you gardeners -- check in. Let's follow the sun northward.
(and if there is anyone reading this who is farther south, let's hear what you've seen)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Follow the sun

hostas and sedums peeking up

o

Robins here at the top of Iowa since Feb 19th, and cedar waxwings have been here for the past week now, just passing through in the early spring. That, and the geese are now flying north. No plants showing any signs of life yet, but the frost is starting to come out of the ground in a few places, so it can't be long.

o

Crocus, few plants peeking and the gardener also starting to come alive here.

o

The geese are flying north over my house and my daffodils are up!! Sure signs of spring!!! We have a little snow predicted for tues night (always snows on my b-day) here in SW Iowa :( but we can use the moisture and no really cold temps--
Beautiful today--50
Jeanette

o

OKAY who said the "S" word?

o

I've been stuck in neutral for a while; have had snowdrops blooming for a month, but not much else, now Cyclamen coum, and Scilla tubergeniana,and Helleborus niger, and one primrose blooming. Lots of stuff ready to pop.
Don

o

The sedums are up, hostas just starting. Alot of my bulbs are up but no blooms, not even the crocus. Though I think that they will open soon! Just in time for it to be back down into the 30's. Oh well that just makes a day like today even better!!

o

The pussy willows are just opening here. Watl

o

I have one lonely little white crocus blooming it's little fool head off on the south side of my sunporch. :) I've got peony peeking out of the ground, and the tree peony is budded up and waiting for an appropriate time to pop. :) The iris is stirring, as is the daylily. Tulips are starting to awaken. Deer are checking things out, saw tracks in several different beds. Might have to get a poochie.

Diann
IA Z5a

o

Yesterday I hung all of the bedding out and opened all the windows. Just a few daffodils and tulips peeking up on the east side of the house.

Today it's spitting snow. Sigh ...

Cricket

o

• Posted by SooBee zone 4 Iowa (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 8, 05 at 14:04

Hmm...robins in the north? I guess we're just too windy and open out here. DID finally see a friendly group near Sullivan, yesterday, though.

Nothing is green but my Reliance Peaches have big, fat buds swelling all over.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here