Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
uncovering plants

Posted by ottumwa iowa (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 25, 04 at 18:36

what do you guys and gals think about uncovering plants this early. i'm just dying to get out there and blow the ugly old leaves and get rid of the dead plants that i left for spring so i don't forget where they're at. you think they still need the protection?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: uncovering plants

I always clean off my garden by now if it's not too soggy. Waiting with the veg areas until ready for planting keeps weeds down, though. If you have any plants that aren't quite hardy here, though, I'd keep them protected awhile yet.

o

We cleaned up some of the garden last weekend (the crocus were hidden under the leaves!) and things are doing fine so far. I'd say go ahead if plants are emerging, but leave it in place if you don't see any action yet. Some plants are hardier than others, and they know who they are. They'll let you know when they're ready.

o

I do my spring clean up in mid-March, weather permitting. After removing the dead plant growth, I use fresh mulch to blanket up to the crowns of the plants. I think this helps keep the plants root zone protected from the heaving of freezing and thawing I usually leave the fall protection (compost mixed with leaves) around my roses until the weather is more stable.

Em

We've had some early spring rains and the garden has really awoken. Can't decide whether to work out there this morning or go to the QCCA Lawn & Garden Show!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here