Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
koszta_kid

Iron Belly what proper way of using Victor trap

koszta_kid
19 years ago

And is it hard to set? Will I need Dh to help me?. The moles our digging like crazy. Dh says we have trap(somewhere) in the garage. I'll buy new ones Would take week to find it. If I can kill them will take to Church yard next. Thanks for any help

Comments (5)

• ironbelly1
    19 years ago

The Victor harpoon-style mole trap is quite easy to use. Just follow the instructions on the box. Placement of the trap is crucial. Bear in mind that most of the tunnels made by a mole are only used once in their search for earthworms and then abandoned forever. However, there is also a main tunnel or two that they use repeatedly  this is where you want to set your trap. These main tunnels *tend* to be located beside an obstruction such as a fence line or sidewalk. The only real way to tell is to stomp down all of the tunnels in your yard and see which one(s) gets raised back up again. Place your trap directly over the re-used tunnel. After you trap moles a few times, you get pretty good at guessing which tunnel is likely to be a main run.

There is one "trick" to making the harpoon-style trap extremely effective. After placing it over the tunnel, activate the mechanism a couple of times to make sure that you have pre-punched holes through the soil for the multiple spikes. You want this trap to impale the critter immediately as he passes underneath. If you donÂt do this, the little extra time it takes for the trap to press through the soil is often just enough warning for the mole to escape. If you donÂt do this, your success will be about 50%. If placed and set properly, your success should be almost 100%.

*** Note: If you want to test your trap  use a stick! Good luck!

IronBelly

• GardenGirl_IA
    19 years ago

Moles - grrrrr....

The only way I have ever been able to get one is to watch them and see what time of the day they dig. Then I have two spades ready. I sink one behind them (be quick - they are faster than you think!) and use the other to flip up the mole from it's tunnel, and quickly end its life.

You will look like a loon sitting in your lawn chair waiting for them. Beer helps....

• javern
    19 years ago

any brand of beer or do moles prefer something special?

• koszta_kid
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Iron -Belley thanks for the tips. Will buy my Victor trap-if I can find one at Farm and home store. Must have run then local Hardware store all sold out for now. Garden Gal. Old timer swears by sitting out about 11 am and watches runs. And has couple of spades. But I'm working then. If I could get couple of my Viszla dogs to do it for me. Infact Maggie Mae did get ones last year. Dirt was flying. But shes looked back has been taught not to dig in the flower beds or lawn.

• garasaki
    19 years ago

I would think New Castle would be an ideal beer for this activity.

Then again, I think New Castle is an ideal beer for any activity, not just barbaric mid-day mole assault missions.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH