Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lost Ken Lafferty

Posted by Koszta_kid Iowazone 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 7, 05 at 21:18

Was very sad to hear Ken had passed away. Have called him many times with gardening problems. And when my beds was over-sprayed from farm field. Told me who to contact. And not to give up. Got Dh and me using Alfalva third cutting on veggy's. Have less plants and more yield. He said had to golf cart to get around his property. And when he couldn't do the Channel 9 show. That was sad day. You had to have speed dial or couldn't get in.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lost Ken Lafferty

Here was an example of a man who made a difference. With certainly minimal financial rewards, he continued to enlighten and delight the state of Iowa with his love of gardening. He will long be remembered -- and missed.

IronBelly

o

I had the pleasure of attending several of Ken Lafferty's talks over the years. He truly loved gardening and conveyed that to people. I enjoyed listening to him on Channel 9 and the radio. He will be greatly missed!

o

I also enjoyed Ken's classes. He had a gift for sharing his enthusiasm and love for gardening with all of us, and we will continue to share with others. I really appreciated his practical, no-fuss approach and some of the best advice I ever got. -- "If it looks good leave it alone" and "if you get a little mulch in the grass who cares?"

We'll miss you, Ken.

Cricket

o

I would listen to him at work on Wednesdays. Since I always had a notepad available, I would take notes of his advice. I have taken notes for plants from Azaelas to Zinnias and many topics in between.
My father would listen too.
More recently Ken took over a Saturday at 7:00 program. That became my time to put the headphones on and worked in the garden.
These were the fastest hours in the week.
I was concerned about him recently. He was advocating keeping moles around to aerate the ground. Well being the tree lover he was, they did not destroy his lawn. Maybe he believed in reincarnation.
Sorry, Ken, I still go after those critters with a passion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here