Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbrb1

Zone5 holly

dbrb1
19 years ago

I'm looking for a holly that will do good in Zone5, Davenport actually that will be hardy and have beeries on evergreen foilage. I want to plant it in a bed with a Japanese Red Maple, so I want to be able to keep it fairy compact and short. Am I asking for too much. Thanks, Don

Comments (2)

• blacklab
    19 years ago

Don,

I live in Rock Island and know the nursery stock around here like the back of my hand. You may think this is humerous but I even know where individual plants are located within quad city nurseries...no kidding! I'm a plant junkie.

Around here you can easily find 'Blue Girl' 'Blue Boy' holly shrubs. Those are the female/male counterparts needed to produce berries...If you don't want berries plant a single-male plant. Some info I don't know about 'Blue Girl' is whether or not this female clone produces berries on it's own being that some female hollies do not need a male for berry production. My guess is that 'Blue Girl' does need the male that's why both are sold side by side. I don't grow hollies.

Personally, I've found Corn Crib Nursery located in Coal Valley to have better than average nursery stock at some of the very lowest prices anywhere in the Quad-Cities AND I know for certain they carry these hollies. The last years they've had slugs of them in 2-3 gallon buckets for about 15-20 bucks each.

Take a look there. If you're not familiar with them you'll see that their business is geared toward plants and not geared toward expensive buildings, a fancy yard, and the like...I'ts a real hands on 'Dirty' atmosphere...I love it.

Good Luck,

Dax

• dbrb1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Dax. I took a trip out to Corn Crib Saturday and what a nice surprise. A great nursery with very nice prices. I knew it was out there but had totally forgotten about it.

I'm a plant junkie as well and running out of room, so I'm trying to be very careful and selective about what I plant.

I have a perennial garden with a lot of iris and daylillies from Hornbaker Gardens in Princeton IL, I'm sure you've been there, if not it's a must go!

I also took a trip up to Long's Nursery previously Bald Eagle Nursery in Fulton, IL. They specialize in grasses and had a ton to choose from. Ended up taking home 4...now where to plant them!

Corn Crib had some beautiful Rhodo's and I'm very interested in a red they call Nova, but need to research it more. Do you have in Azales or Rhodo's?

I'd enjoy seeing some pictures of your plants sometime!

Enjoy the day, and thanks again Dax,
    Don

Sponsored