Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tjae_gw

Variegated Weigela..did I kill them?

tjae
19 years ago

Last fall I planted 26 Variegated Weigela inside the perimeter of our sidewalk (we're on a corner). They're probably 4 or 5 feet apart. I watered them about every other day and put Miracle Grow in the water the first week. Some are in the sun all day, some have some shade in the afternoon.

Well now April is almost over and so far, the majority of them don't seem to be doing anything! Some of them have some green starting on the branches. Some have what looks like new shoots coming out of the ground. But none of them are doing anything really spectacular, and some of them show no signs of life at all.

Is it too early, should I be more patient? Or should I dig them up and take them back?? I have the receipt so I can get new ones, but I'd really rather not re-plant all of them. :(

Comments (6)

• jspece
    18 years ago

I'm sure there is more than one variety of variegated weigelia, but if your's is like mine (pink flowers) it is only marginally hardy here in northeast Iowa. I've had it for about 8 years...maybe more...and it get's killed to the grounds about every 2 to 3 years. I'm only seeing a little growth on mine, yet...looks like this is a die back year. They do grow fast, though, and will make a nice, dense 3' shrub by fall. Try breaking a few twigs...if they snap, the wood is dead. Cut them to the ground. If the wood is green and not brittle, it is alive. If you see no sign of life by mid May, then it is probably dead.

• tjae
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You're kidding me. Crap. :(

So, what you're saying....even if the wood is dead, the plant itself could still be alive and may send up new shoots? Or is it a lost cause...if the wood is dead, dig it up and get something else?

Also you said it will make a nice, dense 3' shrub by fall....is that even on a 'die back year'??

We're on a main road and all these dead sticks along the yard look awful. TOTALLY not what I envisioned. :(

I'm in Manchester, by the way...pretty far north.

• jspece
    18 years ago

You're not far from me...I'm between Independence and Quasqueton!!

Yes, even if the woody top growth is dead, the roots may still be alive. If so, they will send up new growth from the roots. And yes, even when mine dies to the ground, it will be a nice looking plant by fall. Since your's are new, they may not regrow as vigorously, but once they get established, they will.

Did you buy them locally?

If you were going for a hedge type look, maybe something a little hardier would be better??

• hawki
    18 years ago

jspece is right... even down here in southern Iowa the variegateds die back some winters... I got rid of mine, as there are so many nice HARDY weigelas, why bother.The catalogues, of course, never tell you this.
    Don

• lindac
    18 years ago

Yep....another here with the "doe nack" shrub....I should give up and dig it out....but hey...it's sort of an every 3 year ritual....cut back the wigelia....
    Linda C

• rhoda_azalea
    18 years ago

tjae, I would agree with the suggestion to try another, hardier variety of weigela. The variegated dies back and sometimes dies because it isn't that hardy; how it behaves depends on how low the minimum temp is in a given winter. I've replaced mine twice but keep getting another as it is the perfect color combination for a specific spot. Short of that, I would get some other variety.

Rhoda

Sponsored