Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whatcheer

? Mini Tiller

whatcheer
19 years ago

I purchased a Toro Mini tiller about 7 years ago. It's been good and hasn't given me any trouble. I've been thinking about investing in the Mantis tiller. The Toro only cost me $175 . I'm not sure what the Mantis costs, but I know it's got to be many times more than this. Does anyone own the Mantis? What do you think of it? Is it trouble free? I guess I feel I got my moneys worth from the Toro. I could just buy another one of those when it finally calls it quits. I'm sure the price has gone up on it too.

Comments (6)

• ironbelly1
    19 years ago

Whatcheer,

This is a topic that has come up many times on a number of forums. I have one and highly recommend them. The women that I know just LOVE them. However, you can read lots of other opinions than just mine. (See link below.)

IronBelly

Here is a link that might be useful: Search

• growlove
    19 years ago

Hi whatcheer, we have had a Mantis for several years and I think we paid $300. for it. I really liked it, but last year we bought a Red Ox and it is just a little larger than our Mantis. The Ox has been great. I am 72 and can run it a lot easier than our Mantis. Mary

• diannp
    19 years ago

Hi, I too, have a Mantis, and little bit bigger Ariens, and bigger yet Field King, and finally a monster of a Troy-Built rear tine tiller. We use the mantis for weeding in the veggie garden and edging. But for breaking up sod and preparing garden beds we use the rear tine tiller. Am I happy with the Mantis, you bet, it's a great little tiller. I've had it for 3 years now and and it hasn't required any maintenance work (other than the standard)done to it. It's easy for me to start and use in the garden. We're quite happy with it.

Diann
    IA Z5a

• Maggie4
    19 years ago

I have a mantis also. I love it. I till my garden in the fall and spring. Have never had any problem with it. Might mention that you pull the mantis. That seems to work best for me when tilling. If I let it stay in one place it will just keep going deeper. That I like when I want to plant a sm tree. I do have to dig the sod up first. If you know someone that has one or a dealer. They will demonstrate how to use them.
    Good luck

• nancyathome
    19 years ago

We bought a Mantis last summer and my husband did have some trouble with it but was able to fix it himself (and he's not a mechanic, so it couldn't have been too difficult). We also bought the trenching attachment with it and have really enjoyed that. We dug right through grass with it and were able to dig some trenches for bulbs. I was afraid it wouldn't be deep enough for the bulbs but we planted 500 bulbs and I can now look outside and see hundreds of blooms so it must have worked. We have a huge garden and use a tractor for spring tilling but the Mantis is great for weed control and so easy to get out to the garden that it's worth taking out for just a half hour or so of work.

• jamlover
    19 years ago

Mine's about 7 years old and still singing. My hubby chews me out about some of the jobs I strike into with it.Tells me that's what we have the larger tiller for; but by the time I drag it out and to the patch to work on I am carrying little mattie back to the shed in one hand. I'm 68 and not into big workouts anymore. It just digs deeper and deeper when you want it to. However you pull it towards yourself instead of pushing it so want to know what's behind you.

Sponsored