Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropical plants made temperate

Posted by joefsolon 5a/4b (meister@southslope.net) on
Mon, Apr 24, 06 at 9:55

Hey, would any one be able to tell me if they have had success planting a plant that is not of our zone, but they got them to survive during winter? I have tried "hardy" banana from spring hill, and that didn't work, i have tried mimosa (the southern kind) that didn't work(it was alive to the base, but not large enough to my satisfactory), i tried spanish dagger yucca (or is it spanish bayonette?) and that did work, but it killed most of the foliage, it will get new leaves though this summer.
WRITE ME BACK!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropical plants made temperate

I haven't tried any of them, but was going to get a hardy banana. I keep the plants that are not my zone in their pots. I bring them in the basement and put them under lights in the winter. It works with palms and Jasmine.
Sandy

o

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 26, 06 at 19:30

Hardy banana..aka musa basjoo.

Dug up my basjoo last fall, threw it in the basement, and replanted it today. Bananas' root system is a corm, just like a glad. So if you have a cool place to store them, then it should work fine. Some people leave basjoo in the ground and mulch them, but in doing this, you will lose the pseudostem in Iowa.
When you say mimosa, if your talking about Albizzia julibrissin, try the hardier type: EH Wilson Mimosa.

o

Joe,
I live in Bettendorf and my musa basjoo were overwintered in the ground under about two feet of mulch. They started coming up about three weeks ago and are about three feet high already. I also overwintered a needle palm and two sabal minors successfully in the ground. They took temps down to about 5 degrees before I covered them with a plie of dry leaves for the coldest periods. I also have two Southern Magnolias that eventually became defoilated but are now starting to put on new leaves. They had no protection and should be even more cold hardy this year because they will be more established.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here