Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlink_gw

Sweet Autumn Clematis

jlink
18 years ago

On our cobblestone back patio, I am highly considering Sweet Autumn Clematis to cover the fence that covers two sides of the patio. I like the SAC for its late season bloom, sweet fragrance, and multitude of flowers. However, I have never grown this vine before and have no idea how it will cover the area. Any help? I'm especially curious about how wide the vine will grow and if it will be full and lush all the way to the lower part of the vine. Is it trainable or will it just take off and cover the area in a bush of vines? Also, I need a plant to grow at the base to shade the roots of the vine. Suggestions? Any ideas would be helpful - I'm an ambitious, but novice gardener. Thanks!

Comments (9)

• tam88
    18 years ago

Hi jlink! If you want a vine to get big this will do it. Where I have mine planted it covers the trellis along with trailing over the ground. You will need to keep to training it. I cut mine back every year so I have good blooms from bottom to top. I highly recommend if you have the space. It is stunning when it blooms! Also this is a easy clematis to grow. Have Fun!

• jlink
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks tam88! All the research I've done seems to indicate a big, bushy vine will be the end result. I just don't know how to get there. I will have to find something to shade the roots. Also, I don't know how quickly or profusely this vine will cover the unappealing fence. Will I need to also put in an earlier vine? I don't want to have to battle what to prune though as the SAC looks rather tangled at the end of the growing season.

• tam88
    18 years ago

Jlink, This vine is a easy one to start with. I would recommend finding a larger one to start with instead of a smaller. It will cost you more but it is worth it because it has a better root system. I would not put in another vine unless it is a clematis that can be cut back each year (group III). Otherwise you will have a difficult time trying to cut back the sweet autumn and the other vine. Mine at home is in its 4th year and it ends up at least 3 foot wide. As for shading the roots I have clematis that are in full sun. I just make sure that I mulch well.

Take Care!

• pianolady
    18 years ago

Here's a pic of my sweet autumn from last year. The pics are one year's growth. I trained it up to the top of the fence, and just kept weaving it around the top of the fence pickets. Cut it back in the spring.

• jlink
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Tam88 - Thanks for the info. I might try some daylilies to keep the roots a bit shaded. I think I will not try to integrate another vine; it sounds like I'd lose it fast!

Pianolady - Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing this photo. It is so encouraging to see it's quick and ample growth. Is that just one plant?!?

• pianolady
    18 years ago

Yes, this is one plant.

• cheerpeople
    18 years ago

That is a fabby pic! I imagine that clematis has a few years on it- like 5?
    Mine sweet autmn is in it's third year and it is already budding leaves at the TOP of my porch.
    Yes I opted not to cut it as I need the height now. You swear those skiny vines are dead- until the leaves pop out!

I'm not bad mouthin' sweet autmn is it a fine choice- but not your only choice.

jlink, You may also want to consider clematis tangutica which grows like a son of a gun and has yellow penant blooms and the cutest seed whorls after.

If you want more leaves and a more solid than whispy look also consider the variagated porcelain berry vine. 'ampelopsis elegans' It is in the grape family and does get some teeth marks from jap. beetles. It is not invasive like the plain green. In fact mine isn't invasive at all! It will also get height in a hurry esp. after it's second year.
    Karen

• Sharlea2 .
    7 years ago

Hi,I'm not a landscape pro by any means, but I planted my autumn clematis about 10 years ago and it's very beautiful! It's beautiful in my perennial garden, and in my trees and in my orchard (It actually bends and pulls down branches with it's weight!) and anywhere else it can self seed or send out runners. It has come up 50 feet from where I planted it, and if I didn't mow my yard I would have to use a machete to get to my front door(luckily I DO mow!) I can't keep up with it anymore, and I don't want to poison it for fear of killing what's left of the plants I do want. I guess what I'm saying is, please don't plant it unless you're willing and able to do the upkeep necessary, or 10 years down the road we may never see you again! By the way, I live in Iowa so it's not caused by a year round warm climate.

• randal92
    7 years ago

I planted one at the base of a 25 foot tall pussy willow. You should have seen it this fall. It looked like a huge snowball. Just fantastic. Just make sure you give it plenty of room. Because they grow huge

Sponsored