Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tannabanana

Perennial Coreopsis

tannabanana
17 years ago

Hello there!

Quick question. We planted some perennial coreopsis (Moon Beam) last fall - I'm thinking late August, early Sept. We got it clearanced from a very good local nursery. Every other perennial we planted at this time has begun the growing season. When does the coreopsis start coming back? Should it already be going or does it take awhile to wake up? Thanks!

Tanna

P.S. - I read the thread on butterfly bush so I'm not worried about that - yet ;)

Comments (12)

• ironbelly1
    17 years ago

Patience, my dear! The ground is still quite chilly. I can only now just see a little green sprouting activity in my coreopsis. Enjoy the tulips.

Better yet ... go for a walk in the woods. Right now, there is a tremendous amount in bloom. I have never seen so many trout lilies and Dutchman's britches in bloom as I have this year.

IronBelly

• tannabanana
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the quick response. Most of my perennial gardening experience has been in CA so I guess I'm just a little bit antsy. And yes, I'm enjoying the tulips! :)

Purchased a wildflower identification book a few months back, hoping to use it soon!

• ironbelly1
    17 years ago

Check out this pretty nice website for wildflower pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wildflower photos

• oldpeony
    16 years ago

Is that walk in northern Iowa. I'm in southeastern Iowa and am enjoying my woodland walks. Sent you a direct
    e-mail.

• aliska12000
    16 years ago

Mine are up, one is doing well although got a little droopy today so I gave it some more water, where is all this rain we were supposed to get here in Eastern IA? Two are smaller. I started them from seed last year, had them in the house for the winter, then decided the heck with it, didn't want caring for 5 plants in gallon pots in addition to everything else so just stuck them in the ground without hardening them off although they had been started outside. Shortly after, it froze, the tops crumpled, but the roots were deep and must have taken hold. I wonder how long it will take them to bloom and how long they last, I read they sometimes don't live long. Actually I moved two of them because it turned out they were in the way of something else, so it will probably take it a bit to establish good roots again although I dug fairly deep.

• tannabanana
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, they still haven't come up and some poking around the plants showed no signs of life. I'll give them some more time but I'm thinking that they are goners!

• aliska12000
    16 years ago

I hope not, maybe they'll show up yet, but I know the feeling. I started mine from a 25-cent packet of seeds from the year before, had a lot more growing (they weren't high priority so I didn't fuss with them) but three are all I have left.

• twin_too
    16 years ago

Well, I'm surprised they're not up yet. I have had the moonbeam coreopsis for years and mine is up. I've had more trouble with the hardieness of the other types of coreopsis, like early sunrise and tequila sunrise. I could send you some moonbeam coreopsis if you'd like. Where in Iowa are you?

-Pam

• tannabanana
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pam - thank you for the offer. I'll send you an e-mail.

Tanna

• lindac
    16 years ago

Tannabanana, I hate to tell you but your coreopsis are dead.
    About perennial coreopsis? I know of no annual ones...so I believe theya re all perennial. The Moonbean is the threadleaf variety and should have been showing easily by the end of April.
    Sorry...but you best visit the garden center for another.
    Linda C

• twin_too
    16 years ago

Tannabanana, did you ever send me an e-mail? I'd still be happy to give you some coreopsis.

-Pam

Sponsored