Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Knockout Roses

Posted by bluey48 Des Moines, Iowa (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 13:52

How do I know if this winter froze my knockout bushes? Should I prune them lower than a normal pruning of 18 inches tall? Start fertilizing them now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Knockout Roses

After our cold winter, my knockout rose was dead down to the crown. I started to see growth at the very base of the plant about two weeks ago and I cut off all the dead stems at that time.

o
RE: Knockout Roses

I have a few knockout roses that did fine but one appeared dead and now towards the end of May I see new Growth from the crown. The Stems were dead and were cut back. I had not dug up the plant as it was a "Memorial" For My Beloved German Shepherd Dutchie that died and in case the roots got entangled with any part of her I did not want to disturb her remains so I was going to leave it. But Now I am pleased to say that the Knockout Rose is still alive and starting to grow. They are VERY HARDY roses. I bought one and transplanted it, and another grew where the original was. In total I have 4 or 5 knockout roses from the 1 original rose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here