Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unplanted bulbs

Posted by adela Midwest_Iowa (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 13, 06 at 14:51

Hi, this was supossed to be my first spring with flowers but I didn't plant any of the bulbs I got in september!!
They have been this whole time in my garage (crocus, iris and tupils) what should I do with them so they'll be ok for next fall/winter?
Thanks!!
Adela

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unplanted bulbs

Well.....Are they still firm? Do they have sprouts on them? If they got frozen out they will be soft or hollowed and not be any good. The Iris can be put in the ground now. They aren't fussy about what time of year. The other one's ,if ok ,can be planted also , you just aren't going to see blooms. It may be a few years for them .

o

I'm so glad you asked that question. I did the exact same thing except mine spent the winter in a chest on the front porch. I'm going to poke them in the ground and see what happens. Better than just tossing them, I guess.

Cricket

o

Lesson well learned cut your losses and toss them out, if they didnt rot freeze or dry up it could take years for them to bloom if they ever do.

o

Did that couple years ago. One package got left in garage in a Cooler. I put them out was tulips. In a week they bloomed. As long as they aren't mushy. Plant them or put in container. See what you get

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here