Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tannabanana

Time of Planting

tannabanana
18 years ago

Hello everyone,

I could use some advice. We are having a landscaping company do the hardscape and grading in our new house's backyard. This will effect the whole back yard even where the veggie garden is supposed to go. I'm guessing that it will be done by the end of June but perhaps by mid-June. I will then be able to start planting (although most perinnials, shrubs, & trees will be going in in the fall).

I've started some tomatos and really wanted to have lots to can this summer. I've thought about doing pots but I'd hate to spend the money on them, plus the cost of potting soil if I'm only going to use them one year (I'd like about 6 tomato plants). Do you think I can still use the tomato seedlings I've started? - they are looking pretty good right now - not big enough to plant out but by mid-May they should be perfect. When do you usually plant your tomatos here?

We had originally planned to have this done a month earlier but the original cost of what we wanted was quite high and we had to work with the designer to cut costs and that took some time. So, in the process we lost 2-4 weeks.

I was going to plant bush pink banana squash (days to harvest - 90) and sugar pie pumpkins (days to harvest 100) also. Do you thing they'll be able to produce if I direct seed them after the garden is done in mid to late June? I'm pretty sure that my zucchini, yellow squash, corn and green beans will give me some produce.

TIA!

Tanna B.

Comments (4)

• bbriggs
    18 years ago

Mid-may is good for tomatoes, after danger of frost so you don't have to protect them. Squash/pumpkins do well if you start them in peat pots a few weeks ahead of time, I do so routinely then set out towards the end of May. If you have a striped beetle problem, and you aren't growing organic, you can water them with an imidacloprid solution before setting them out, it's labeled for vine crops and gives close to season long protection that way.

• pianolady
    18 years ago

I think you'll be ok to plant in mid-June, just get them in as soon as you can. I rarely put out the tomatoes until after Mother's Day anyway. I still think you'll beat an early freeze, and if not, pick green and store. I've never had much produce come from a pot, compared to planted in the garden.

The pumpkins are the only thing I'm not sure you'll have time.

• tannabanana
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your help! I will try to keep my from seed tomato plants healthy enough for mid-June and pray that it ends up being early June instead!

I probably start the squash & pumpkin in-doors too. And then set out. bbriggs - I don't know if I'll have a striped beetle problem, this is our first year gardening here. I've talked to my neighbors and none of them have had veggie gardens. In CA, I expected that but here in IA - I guess I just thought people were a little closer to the soil here. LOL! So much getting a low-down on the bug problems!

• stan_ia_z4
    18 years ago

If you keep your tomatoes until mid June, and they get quite tall, dig a trench about 5 inches deep and lay the tomato plant in it and then very carefully, tip the last 5 or 6 inches up and cover the remainder of the plant. Take all the leaves off, below the surface. I do this every year, with very good results. Stan

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!