Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
asparagus up for anyone yet?

Posted by greenmulberry 5-Iowa (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 15:13

I live just a few miles north of Iowa City. I have not seen my asparagus up yet, but it sure seems like it is almost time. I was wondering if anyone had any spears yet?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: asparagus up for anyone yet?

I'm in Iowa City, and mine is up. Probably ready to harvest by this weekend. I'm looking forward to some asparagus welsh rabbit!

o

I checked after seeing your post and still nothing for me, however my asparagus is one of those wild sown ones that have been there for who knows how long, growing in one of my ditches. It probably takes a bit longer than a cultivated patch.

o

Well, if it makes you feel any better, mine grows in several "clumps", and only one of the clumps has started sending up shoots yet. But that clump looks probably big enough to harvest today.

o

south of IC - we've had enough to blanch and toss into a salad, but there are many more peeking though, just about 1 inch high. After it rains, YUMMM!

o

Ours has been up for a week. We are between IC and Cedar Rapids. Unfortunately so have the rabbits :(

Link shows pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Asparagus

o

I just checked and have a few spears poking through now.

Asparagus time in Iowa!!!!

o

Woohoo!

Little known asparagus trick. I don't have the land to try it myself, but it was published in a peer-reviewed journal, so I'd expect it to work. If you want to get a fall harvest, grow a patch of asparagus that you *don't* pick at all during the spring. Then, late summer, mow it down. Apparently it'll send up new shoots and you can get a harvest then. It's only half the size of a typical spring harvest, but still... more fresh asparagus :)

o

We drove north from I-80 toward Cedar Rapids and found a wonderful Aspargus farm. Unfortunately I can't remember the exit that we used, but would love to visit the farm again when driving across Iowa. The aspargus was great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here