Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wesida

beginner, what kind of plants?

wesida
18 years ago

Hello, well iam a beginner gardner. i planted beans and tomatoes on pots last year, and this year iam planning to move into the ground and make a garden :). i don't know alot about plants, so i have some questions please

do lemon trees grow in iowa?

what are some good fruit plants/trees that grow good in iowa?

i know strawberries are one of them

and also, any recommendations will be great

thanks

MHB

Comments (6)

• bbriggs
    18 years ago

Lemon trees do great in Iowa, but you need to bring them inside for winter. I use Meyer's lemon.

There's lots of information regarding fruit and vegatable gardening available through Iowa State University Extension, some of it online, some of it in books and leaflets. They're conservative, you can be successful with some risky things if you site the plants carefully. Recommendations for some fruits will depend on where you are in Iowa. I grow peaches, sweet cherries, pears (Asian and European), apples, plums, pawpaws, medlars, figs, strawberries, rasberries, blueberries, saskatoons, apricots, currants, gooseberries, elderberries,...and some other stuff. Most of it does pretty well with little care. I love the variety as much as the fruit, and a lot of it is just for fun. It all depends on what you want and what you've got to work with. Welcome to the gardening world!!!

• wesida
    Original Author
    18 years ago

wow thats great. well iam in iowa city, which is 2 hrs away from AMES(iowa state university). well as far as i know lemon trees take like 2 years to start making the fruits? Are myer's lemons ready to fruit?
    thanks for the great info!

• bbriggs
    18 years ago

You can probably find them locally in pots already in fruit, a person might wish to call around. There are a number of online sources as well that are likely cheaper (an example is 'briteleaf'). They tend to set too many fruit even without hand pollination for me, if your plant needs to establish I'd probably remove all but half a dozen fruits the first year or so. In the house the blossoms may need hand pollination, using a little brush, as there may not be enough insects. Ours spends winter in the greenhouse and there are enough bugs there to do the trick. They LOVE to go outside and get serious sun for summer, do that if you can. The bigger the pot the bigger the tree, a 10 gallon pot for an established tree is a reasonable compromise IMHO.

• wesida
    Original Author
    18 years ago

nice, that kind of answers the question i was going to ask. i was gonna ask if i should have it on a pot or in the ground. i guess a pot will be the best deal. i can just have it on my balcony. i will online for stores near by. i don't know alotabout hand pollination, but i guess i will learn on it when i get the tree :D
    thanks again

• bbriggs
    18 years ago

For what it's worth, I used a little camel hair artists brush, stuck it handle-down in the dirt so whenever a blossom looked like it needed a little pollen the brush was there.

• wesida
    Original Author
    18 years ago

lol sounds good. i called the store today they said they will get the shipments in about 2 weeks. but ofcourse iam alittle inpatient and want the tree fast. so i looked online, started one ebay first, some young plants were like for $20. then into big sites where the tree was $99. i don't know what was the big diffrence, but here is the ebay link
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Fabulous-Meyer-Lemon-Tree-Fruit-Bloom-Sz-Citrus_W0QQitemZ7758715435QQcategoryZ519QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville