Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tam88_gw

Anybody else have this problem???

tam88
18 years ago

Over the last two weekends I have been the victim of theft. I have no idea how to stop it short of not leaving my house on the weekends. Last weekend was a couple of pots that I just filled with new dirt to get ready for some annuals.

This weekend they broke my heart because they stole my windchimes. It was the last gift that I received from a dear friend who passed away . When I left on Sunday they were hanging by the front door when I arrived back Sunday evening GONE. The chimes and the hook. I was hoping that with the wind that maybe they had been blown off but having searched and found nothing!!! I know they were just windchimes but they had much more meaning to me!!! I am so upset and so sad. I live out in the middle of nowhere in the country where I guess I thought my things would be safe and they have been until now. Thanks for letting me vent

Take Care

Tam

Comments (10)

• seduxion
    18 years ago

I would setup a webcam with motion capture enabled. It can then detect when people come near the house or where you point the camera towards. You may need to setup a few of them for different angles. The other thing to try is park the car out of sight and sneak back to the house and keep a look out. Short of this there isn't really anything to stop determined thieves. I feel for you though as I hate it when people vandalize or steal from me.

• lilycrazy
    18 years ago

Now that is one thing that realllllly p's me off- we work hard for the things we have and enjoy and some creep comes along and helps themselves to it. What's the matter with people these days ? Sorry about your losses Tam- esp the dear friend.

• twin_too
    18 years ago

Wow Tam, I'm so sorry to hear that! I know how special those momentos from lost ones can be! I haven't had any gardening related items stolen, but recently had my coat stolen. We live in a small town, so I was very disappointed. Since you've been hit twice, you may have someone watching your house. I'd consider calling the cops. Sometimes they'll step up the patrol in the area for a little while.

-Pam

• Iowagal
    18 years ago

I would definitely file a report with the sheriff's office or police depending on jurisdiction. Especially since you've had two separate incidents. Your's may have been part of a rash of petty crimes in the area and only if they get reported is it possible to put them all together and get it stopped. It's sad this stuff happens. Sorry for your loss.

• nancyathome
    18 years ago

I live out in the country too. Think about getting a dog. Mine is a real pest but he barks whenever anyone comes close to the house. He acts like a real attack dog although if someone did enter the house he'd just jump on them and act like their best friend. We also have a mile long lane to our house so he can go out on his own and keeps the deer and rabbits away from the garden.

• diannp
    18 years ago

Yeah, I was always told that the average burglar tended to avoid houses with dogs. Why? Cause it was just easier to hit a house without one. Now, if that is true or not, I don't know.

Myself, I have attack cats. ;)

Diann
    IA Z5a

• jamlover
    18 years ago

A nice big dog sounds like the solution. When our youngest was in high school tee-peeing was a big thing. She often took part but was never decorated. Kids told her her big red healer gave their presence away or acted like it would eat them alive if no one was around.

• tam88
    Original Author
    18 years ago

A quick update! I am happy to say that nothing (as far as I can tell) was taken this weekend. I happened to see a neighbor who lives a couple of miles down the road and she told me that she was hit along with some other neighbors. When I contacted the police they said they had numerous reports of theft of "garden items" around Washington County. They guessed that a group was just driving around swiping stuff. So I am sure that the windchimes are gone for good. Thanks to everyone for their support!! As far as getting a dog, I have two (one is a rottweiler!!) to bad they are the sweetest dogs you will ever meet!!!

Take Care
    Tam

• koszta_kid
    18 years ago

Some people just to lazy to work for things. Think can just steal it. Even though we're in the country have close neighbors. + have 5 viszlas. Have friend who lives on busy highway. Use to plant flowers around her mail box. They would steal them as fast as she had them planted. Said she could plant poison ivy or itch weed. Or automatic pepper spraYER.

• rhoda_azalea
    18 years ago

People in Iowa steal plants from around mailboxes. Boy, if that isn't a sad commentary. I expect that kind of behavior in Chicago but Iowa??? Capturing the crooks on video would be the best revenge.

Rhoda

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company